: LSD install help wanted...

TacoDell
06-02-2005, 12:41 AM
Anyone near me willing/experienced to help me (Hemet, CA.) install an LSD. Or Know of a good shop that would do it at a reasonable price? I didn't know what forum to post this under... Wanted? I put it in the noobie so you wouldn't bag on me as bad!! LOL I'd be glad to pay you for your time. But I would like to learn also... Thanks...

ShowStop
06-02-2005, 12:12 PM
I know how to do it, but I don't have all the tools required. A LSD is a full replacement carrier, so you have to swap bearings and re-shim the carrier. Basically you have to set the mesh pattern on the gears by adjusting the carrier after you do the swap. I don't have a shop press or the dial indicators needed to do the job. I have all the the other tools needed.

TacoDell
06-02-2005, 10:57 PM
I know how to do it, but I don't have all the tools required. A LSD is a full replacement carrier, so you have to swap bearings and re-shim the carrier. Basically you have to set the mesh pattern on the gears by adjusting the carrier after you do the swap. I don't have a shop press or the dial indicators needed to do the job. I have all the the other tools needed.

I've read that others have installed with out having to shim as long as you stay with the stock ring and pinion... Can I remove the 3rd member and take it to a shop and have them do that part? I can get a used (2000 miles) Eaton LSD for $ 185.00... But there's not much of a savings if I gotta pay someone $ 500. to install.... If it's gonna cost me close to $ 1000. I'd just as soon think about the ARB Locker... sigh... nothin' ever comes easy... but thanks for responding...

atwinda
06-03-2005, 12:10 AM
If you are at all serious about wheeling, an LSD will be useless. You're right- save your money for an ARB or e-locker rear end swap.

Kirkenhiemer
06-03-2005, 12:41 AM
I'm willing to help but I have never touched a rear diff. I want to put a locker on my truck some day soon, I also have presses and guages . I think installing a s/c and fuel upgrades would be easier? Are you going to get a s/c still, or did that "bitch fit" on your thread in engine/ perfomance scare you off?

hytenor
06-03-2005, 01:50 AM
installing a full-carrier locker or LSD involves setting up the gears and that is NOT a job for a novice. If you have plenty of experience setting up gears and the needed tools then go for it. Otherwise take it to a reputable GEAR shop (not just any mechanic) for the work. Yes, you can pull the rear 3rd member and the front diff (the whole thing) and take them in to be done and save a big chunk of $. Average prices for that run from $150 to $300/diff not including parts.

TacoDell
06-03-2005, 01:56 AM
I'm willing to help but I have never touched a rear diff. I want to put a locker on my truck some day soon, I also have presses and guages . I think installing a s/c and fuel upgrades would be easier? Are you going to get a s/c still, or did that "bitch fit" on your thread in engine/ perfomance scare you off?

No it didn't scare me off... but I did miss out on the S/C-URD kit... So now I'm looking again... But I'll be sure to look you up as soon as I find one... I'm kinda anal about doing things right... I'd rather take 10 hrs. and use hand tools, then strip every freakin' bolt on the truck with air tools... Besides if ya do it in 5 hours when the hell ya gonna have time to drink a beer or two? I'd prefer to have a little fun with it then have bragging rights... Geeezzzz... But I am concerned about traction issues if I put the S/C in before a Locker or LSD. I thought the LSD might be a cheaper way to get some extra traction. But maybe not... Maybe if I just install the stock S/C without the upgrades at first then I won't over power the traction issue too badly? You can't use a locker on the street can you? ( ie.. OEM e-locker or ARB) Hmmm... other than a straight line? I'd like to be able to put the S/C power to the ground on the street as well as off the road. I'm not a hardcore rock/stump crawler... Maybe it's cheaper? Easier? to do an axle swap with the OEM Locker? First I gotta find this stuff at reasonable prices... After all I gotta have some money left to buy the BEER!! LOL Did you say that you lived near my location of Hemet?

NorcalPR
06-03-2005, 10:27 AM
If you lived in or close to the bay area, I could refer you to some really good shops.

Kirkenhiemer
06-03-2005, 03:30 PM
With your camper and tire size traction on the street, and moderate trails wont be a problem with the s/c, fuel up grade . You really only need a locker for the harder trails. An ARB locker would be the way to go if you have the cash. The cheapest way to go is a full time locker that is what I want to get later this summer (I don't care how bad It drives in parking lots). This is only my opinion on the lockers.
I live only an hour south of Hemet.

TacoDell
06-06-2005, 09:07 PM
With your camper and tire size traction on the street, and moderate trails wont be a problem with the s/c, fuel up grade . You really only need a locker for the harder trails. An ARB locker would be the way to go if you have the cash. The cheapest way to go is a full time locker that is what I want to get later this summer (I don't care how bad It drives in parking lots). This is only my opinion on the lockers.
I live only an hour south of Hemet.

South.. San Diego? I used to be a be a member of the Terra Del Sol Jeep Club down that-a-ways 18 years ago. Hmmm... miss thoughs days... anyhow back to the locker thing. I had a friend with an '85 Yota with a Detroit. It was nice when things got tough... But for normal driving that clunk and bang thing made the whole truck shudder like it was gonna come apart.... Not to mention how many times the rear swung around ( this is fun when you want it to) during a mild drizzle when it was least wanted. I don't intend to be a crawler... I'd get me another Jeep for that. But I want to be able to utilize the SC power all the time. Is the TRD e-locker a true full lock diff? (ie; ARB) If I was just offroad I'd spool it or weld the diff. But I'm looking to get more traction for the SC with out major compromise for streetability. I was hoping the LSD would give me that compromise. I looking up the prices for the ARB... I suppose I wouldn't be happy with anything less... (except the price)

ShowStop
06-06-2005, 09:22 PM
I've read that others have installed with out having to shim as long as you stay with the stock ring and pinion... Can I remove the 3rd member and take it to a shop and have them do that part? I can get a used (2000 miles) Eaton LSD for $ 185.00... But there's not much of a savings if I gotta pay someone $ 500. to install.... If it's gonna cost me close to $ 1000. I'd just as soon think about the ARB Locker... sigh... nothin' ever comes easy... but thanks for responding...
Sometimes you get lucky and if you reuse the same shims, you can nail the pattern on the first shot, but if not, then you gotta start playing with shims to dial in a good pattern.