: CB Antenna Mount Help!

Fuod
09-04-2008, 09:41 PM
My brother in laws second cousins uncles fourth wifes twice removed aunt had a friend with a nephew that knew a guy that had a CB for sell...

Well, with references like that how could I refuse? Actually, I did get a good deal so I'm pretty happy.

I got a Uniden Pro 538W and a Wilson 5000 antenna for under 50 bucks... Neither had ever been used. Hell, as far as I can tell neither has even been opened!

So now comes the question. I still need a mount for the antenna and also the coax cable. I'm not all into this CB stuff so I have no idea what kind of mount I need to buy. I want one that either goes in the back of the bed or on the rear bumper. I really don't want to drill any holes where there is paint! Any help?

http://www.itzoe.net/joe/images/cbcat.jpg

Bear
09-04-2008, 11:48 PM
Sounds like you already have a game plan on where you want the antenna mounted, you just need to go to Radio shack and get the antenna mount!

drill into the area you want the antenna and attach the coaxle to it.

Ready for the catch? you have to have a good "contact" between the antenna mount and the metal of your truck. I can't remember if you have a plastic slide in bed liner. If you do, then you will need to cut a hole in it so that you have that contact.

If you try and mount it to the chrome bumper. you have to make sure drill completely through the bumper as well. This contact patch I speak of is considered your ground. Without it, you are S.O.L

My first antenna mounting point was the mount drilled into the forward wall of my bed, then I moved it when I installed the bed bar. (but I had to scratch the paint off the bed bar where I mounted the antenna.

Another trick to mount a cb antenna to your truck is to use the magnetic base type antenna. (I have one if you want it) Problem I have with them is that while on the trail, you whack them with a low tree branch and you have to stop and retrieve the antenna from the side of your truck, and then when you get home, you have to touch up the scratch marks on your truck it caused when it fell off the top!

Fuod
09-05-2008, 02:06 AM
Sounds like you already have a game plan on where you want the antenna mounted, you just need to go to Radio shack and get the antenna mount!

They have those? I checked out radioshack.com earlier and didn't see anything of the sort...

Guess I need to take a trip to the east side...

Bear
09-05-2008, 07:06 AM
They have those? I checked out radioshack.com earlier and didn't see anything of the sort...

Guess I need to take a trip to the east side...
I have never been a fan of their website.

If you have some idea of where you want to mount the antenna, let me know. I might be able to check for you. I have a radio shack around the corner from my house.

Fuod
09-05-2008, 07:28 PM
Well, went to Radio Shack and they don't have any mounts that I can use. They have one, but I would have to drill a hole in my bed to use it, and I really want to avoid that.

I'm looking for a bracket that mounts on the lip on the top of the bed. I could probably fabricate something up, but it would be easier to just buy one (yeah, I'm lazy).

Whatever I do it's going to have to be strong, this antenna is pretty heavy...

I should probably ask the same question on the national board, I'm sure someone knows exactly what I need and where I can find it.

95toyotan
09-05-2008, 08:28 PM
Try callin a truck stop?? pilot, flyin j ?? maybe??

Fuod
09-05-2008, 08:34 PM
I was just out looking around the truck for options and came up with a feasible plan... I think...

If I mount an L-Bracket behind the pass-rear tie down in the bed then I can mount the antenna to the bracket.

Show work? I no sees why nots...

I've heard the beds in Yota's have a bad ground for some reason. :confused: Anyone else ever heard that? If so I'll run a ground wire to the L-Bracket also...

Bear
09-08-2008, 08:57 AM
the beds are not the greatest grounding area, but I have made them work.

I am no expert on CB's but I think what happens is with a weaker ground, you get lower distance covered. at least that seems to have happened to mine when I had mine mounted there. But now I have it mounted to my bed bar, and I can't remember if it improved or not. been too long since I have been in my truck with a working radio. :o

Fuod
09-08-2008, 10:10 AM
I think I'll just go with the easy way for now and figure out something better later. I'm thinking about eventually getting a bed bar and using it for the mount.

For now I'm going to pick up a mirror mount and put the damn thing on the passenger side of the brush guard!

It's too bad this thing isn't a magnet mount, sure would have been a lot easier!

Bear
09-08-2008, 10:39 AM
I have a magnet mounted antenna I don't use, do you want it?

Hoss
09-08-2008, 10:46 AM
I was just out looking around the truck for options and came up with a feasible plan... I think...

If I mount an L-Bracket behind the pass-rear tie down in the bed then I can mount the antenna to the bracket.

Show work? I no sees why nots...

I've heard the beds in Yota's have a bad ground for some reason. :confused: Anyone else ever heard that? If so I'll run a ground wire to the L-Bracket also...

IMO, for the easiest, best possible connection, get one of these ring terminal coax assy's from Firestick (http://www.claysradioshop.com/images/Antenna-Bracket/k-8r18-large.jpg). It makes it especially easy to relocate the ground plane using only a ring terminal. This is what I use, and I have a plastic bed (no ground plane). The antenna is monted to a bed bar and then grounded to the truck frame. I have it tuned down to just barely over 1 SWR (which is pretty damn good, actually, it'a about as good as it gets). Don't cheap out on a radio and antenna b/c no one can hear or understand you over the static and high SWR, making your CB virtually worthless.

The Firestick ring terminal has a positive and a negative side/face. Using a nylon washer and a seperate ring terminal on the negative face, you can relocate the ground plane with much ease.

Here is a whole collection of Firestick antenna kits (http://www.claysradioshop.com/acc_antennamounts-coax-kits.htm). Worth every penny.

MORE PICTURES (http://www.firestik.com/Tech_Docs/mkfr-instl_nohook.htm)

BTW- I'f you're looking for a place to mount the antenna, if you have an older gen Taco with stake pockets in the top of the bed, they make brackets that will fit in there.

Hoss
09-08-2008, 10:56 AM
GROUND PLANE RELOCATION ASSY PIC

http://i286.photobucket.com/albums/ll92/zurkon/MK-FR002.jpg

And, if you decide to go this route, don't buy any extra hardware...I have a box full of studs and nylon washers and whatever else you may need. You're welcome to it.

I also have an SWR meter, so don't buy one, you can use mine.

Fuod
09-08-2008, 03:00 PM
I have a magnet mounted antenna I don't use, do you want it?
Nah, from what I've read the wilson 5000 I got is pretty damn good. Besides, mounting to the brush guard will be fine until I get a bed bar or something.

I also have an SWR meter, so don't buy one, you can use mine.
I will definitely take you up on that. I ordered the mounting hardware today, so it should arrive in a couple days. When I finally get it installed we can meet up to set the SWR and have a beer or something.

Thanks!