: Suspension work saturday

00regcab
09-18-2008, 01:43 PM
Saturday I'm going to be doing some work on my rear suspension, basically just tearing it all apart to inspect it and put it back together.Theres something goofy going on somewhere in the rear end and it just doesnt feel half as stable as it used to. I'll probably end up switching the drivers side leaf spring to the passenger side to try to start getting the (now) passenger side (will be driver spring) to sag down to where the (current) drivers side is now.

I think one of the springs within the pack may be cracked, but I'm not 100% sure on this. I'm also planning on going over everything under the truck and checking all bolts/nuts to make sure they're all tight. If someone has a grease gun I can borrow for the day that would be awesome, I need to grease all my u-joints and such as well.

I also found out, even the non-trd tacoma's are wired for a locker. My problem, is the harness that runs from my cab to my locker wont plug into the factory harness for some reason. I'm not sure if I am missnig a section of the harness or what the deal is, but if someone with a TRD could stop by and let me pull their driver seat out, and pull the carpet up it would be greatly appreciated so I can get my locker working before lead king/schofield/etc.

Anybodys welcome to stop by, I plan to start around 10am as I need to have it all back together and driveable by 4 so I can get it down to mountain states toyota. I have a friend that works there as a lube tech so hes going to drain/fill/flush all of my fluids for me for pretty much free (only have to pay for power steering fluid, anti-freeze, and an oil filter) that evening.

PM me for directions/address if you're interested in stopping by to lend a hand or just hang out, there will probably be some BBQ goin on... just some basic stuff (burgers/dogs).

RedRunnertc
09-18-2008, 06:11 PM
that'll be two of us under our trucks ...

mrdoug
09-18-2008, 06:28 PM
Sorry I forgot to call you back last weekend, you're still welcome to come rip mine up, but I'll be working around the house this weekend, can't make it down.

ike
09-18-2008, 07:16 PM
Gotta work on saturday, so i wont be able to make this. May be down your way on sunday though, but we will have to see.

Quick Draw
09-19-2008, 10:22 AM
Are you finally going to get some longer shocks while you're at it? Might as well... Loading down the back of your truck with as much weight as possible just to reconnect the fully extended shocks was not fun...

00regcab
09-19-2008, 01:41 PM
Not going to get longer shocks yet, i need a CB before next weekend. So my funds will be going there.

Next on the list is 255/85 trxus mt's, and 16" wheels. Probably just going to pickup the OE wheels doug has.

Longer shocks will go on before moab.... i hope.

ike
09-19-2008, 04:08 PM
Do you think your shocks are limiting travel? They are made for those springs arnt they?

00regcab
09-19-2008, 04:59 PM
I know my shocks are limiting travel. After we disconnected the shocks, the whole axle dropped at least another 4"

- - going to be running up to Johnsons Corner to pickup a CB and such. I'm sure i can get a few things cheaper elsewhere, but I need the stuff before next weekend. Any other good, affortable places?

ike
09-19-2008, 05:11 PM
I was also planning on hitting up the cb shop by johnsons corner this week.

On compression what stops your travel. I am sure i could get more droop, but with that you need more compression on the other side of the axle to accomodate it. I currently hit sheetmetal and that is what stops my up travel, so adding more droop would likely not improve flex at all. Just my thoughts on it though.

00regcab
09-19-2008, 05:40 PM
Springs limit compression travel. They wont go any more negative lol.
I think the shock is also bottomed out, but im nowhere near the bump stop, and the tire doesnt rub.

RedRunnertc
09-19-2008, 11:24 PM
I am sure i could get more droop, but with that you need more compression on the other side of the axle to accomodate it. ... so adding more droop would likely not improve flex at all. Just my thoughts on it though.

Yeah, doesn't exactly work that way. You can continue to droop the axle after hitting the compression stop, but the corner of the truck that has hit the stop is going up, and there isn't as much pressure on the drooping wheel, so it doesn't do as much good. IMHO, compression travel is WAY more important than droop travel.

ike
09-20-2008, 05:41 AM
I agree with that, and that is why i am hesitante to put bump stops on my truck to keep if out of the sheet metal. Right now, it just barely hits and isnt doing any damage.

Nate, i am amazed you dont hit the front of your rear wheel well, as you have the same tire diameter/rear springs as i do. And i dont think the stock bump stops will line up with our springs either, so that shouldnt ever limit your up travel.

Lysmachia
09-20-2008, 08:29 PM
How did the day go Nate?

00regcab
09-21-2008, 03:41 AM
Didnt get much done, woke up with a raging headache this morning so i slept most of the day.

I picked up a CB and such and got it all installed, just need to get it tuned and dialed in, who do i need to talk to, to get this done?

Tomorrow me and a buddy are going to tear apart the rear suspension and my current plan is just swap the drivers side spring to the passenger side (if the spring packs are OK, no cracks or anything) and see what happens with it.

I still need to look at a TRD and find out why my locker harness wont plug into the cab harness, see if im just looking for the wrong plug, or what the deal is.

I'll be wrenching tomorrow. Text/call me if you want to stop by.

seven too 0 nine 5 won twentythree three 5

Chalkie
09-21-2008, 10:31 AM
I picked up a CB and such and got it all installed, just need to get it tuned and dialed in, who do i need to talk to, to get this done?

All you really need to tune a CB is an SWR meter. I have one, so maybe if you haven't got it done by whenever the next South HOW is, I can bring it along to there.

RedRunnertc
09-21-2008, 10:36 AM

All you really need to tune a CB is an SWR meter. I have one, so maybe if you haven't got it done by whenever the next South HOW is, I can bring it along to there.

I have one too - shouldn't take long to tune it. I'll be working on my truck all day also.

NOTE: I highly recommend you leave the CB OFF until you tune it. If your SWR is really out of whack and try to transmit, it can f* up your CB.

Lysmachia
09-21-2008, 12:46 PM
Hey Nate, sorry we can't come help. We are totally cranking on Troy's 4link today... Progress is coming along!

00regcab
09-21-2008, 11:12 PM
I have one too - shouldn't take long to tune it. I'll be working on my truck all day also.

NOTE: I highly recommend you leave the CB OFF until you tune it. If your SWR is really out of whack and try to transmit, it can f* up your CB.

I havent had it on much, i dicked with it for maybe 5-10 minutes total.

Sorry i didnt get back earlier, or i would of swung up there and helped you guys out and maybe got my CB dialed in.

Springs still didnt get swapped, the drivers side bolt on the hanger (front one) is seized, soaked it in pb blaster, liquid wrench, and tried heating it, couldnt get it to break loose. But just from taking everything apart, i didnt find anything abnormal, and now that it's all back together and everything is re-torqued the rear end feels A LOT better. I'll be re-checking everything friday before again to make sure its all still tight.

Troy, would you have time for me to swing by sometime tomorrow evening (probably 7:30-8ish, or another day this week?) and get my CB situated?

Lysmachia
09-21-2008, 11:52 PM
Troy, would you have time for me to swing by sometime tomorrow evening (probably 7:30-8ish, or another day this week?) and get my CB situated?

Nate anytime this week should work at that time as Troy will be home working on shizzy. Just call him or me or the HOW North ahead to make sure ;)

I'll cook steak if ya come by :D

RedRunnertc
09-22-2008, 08:12 AM
Yep, no problem.

mrdoug
09-22-2008, 09:08 AM
..., soaked it in pb blaster, liquid wrench, and tried heating it, couldnt get it to break loose.

Somebody told me (Troy?) that heat + PB Blaster = bad situation. Something about the chemical make up of PB Blaster when heated really locks it up.

RedRunnertc
09-22-2008, 01:48 PM
Yeah, at Takeover in Farmington, we were talking to Gadget and he was saying he tried using PB on header bolts one time and they got practically welded in there.

00regcab
09-22-2008, 07:31 PM
I should of been more specific as to the order.

I tried heat with no luck

then pb blaster/liquid wrench (after it had cooled down), still with no luck.

Molly, i'll be calling you here shortly :p

Quick Draw
09-22-2008, 08:36 PM
That sleeve is probably fused to the bolt. I cut mine, got new bushings and sleeves, and got a brand new grade 8 bolt from Ace Hardware. Made life much easier. Looking at the cross section of the bolt and sleeve, there was no way in hell that was freeing up. Looked like a solid piece all the way through.

00regcab
09-22-2008, 10:58 PM
Thats what happened with mine, but sunday afternoon, nobody was open to get a new bushing so i just said eff it.

ike
09-23-2008, 05:35 PM
Troy, I just got a CB also. May be giving you a call to tune the antena if possible sometime this week.

00regcab
09-23-2008, 06:32 PM
Something that just dawned on me, losing power to the CB wont mess with the tuning will it?

I dont think it would since its antenna related, but even last night on the highway i couldnt pick up ANYTHING... not too sure whats going on with it.

ike
09-23-2008, 06:39 PM
guy at the cb shop today told me to make sure that the antena isnt shorting to the mount. A guess that is a common problem, that causes you to completly loose your range.:confused:

RedRunnertc
09-23-2008, 09:03 PM
No problem, come on by. Even if I'm not here, the directions are in the box ...

00regcab
09-23-2008, 10:14 PM
guy at the cb shop today told me to make sure that the antena isnt shorting to the mount. A guess that is a common problem, that causes you to completly loose your range.:confused:

makes sense... how exactly would you go about figuring that out though? lol...

i just want to make sure i can get a signal from somebody before the run this weekend :o

ike
09-23-2008, 10:29 PM
dont know for sure. my mount has a nylon washer on one end and a nylon sleve on the other to insulate everything.

RedRunnertc
09-23-2008, 11:14 PM
Is the plastic washer for the antenna installed properly?

00regcab
09-24-2008, 01:26 PM
Is the plastic washer for the antenna installed properly?

i havent looked, i'll have to check that and see what i can come up with

ike
09-24-2008, 10:06 PM
Nate, did you get your CB figured out? I think i am just going to swing by johnsons corner and have them tune my antena since i will already be in the area. should be there around noon if you would want to meet up and mess with it. We could also work on it on Saturday at camp as a last resort.

00regcab
09-25-2008, 12:00 AM
Nate, did you get your CB figured out? I think i am just going to swing by johnsons corner and have them tune my antena since i will already be in the area. should be there around noon if you would want to meet up and mess with it. We could also work on it on Saturday at camp as a last resort.

Havent got a chance to look at it, truck has been at my mechanic all day today, and will be tomorrow.

Major lower ball joint problems, got that solved yesterday, and gets an alignment tomorrow. It would of all been done in one day, but i just kind of dropped it on him and he said he could squeeze it in.

I'll check it tomorrow when i get the truck back. I also need to get my locker working tomorrow. I have the locker ECU and everything, it just seems like im missing a section of wiring, or looking for the locker harness plug in the wrong place or something. The 3rd member end of my axle harness wont plug into the cab end, the plugs arent the same? :jack: im so sick of this locker its not even funny lol

mrdoug
09-25-2008, 12:10 PM
You're still welcome to look at my truck if you need a working example, give me a ring and come by any time.

00regcab
09-25-2008, 01:14 PM
Doug, i may be up there this evening.

I dont think i'll be able to make it tomorrow, since im going to be staying late here at work to prime up the engine bay in my car

ike
09-25-2008, 03:17 PM
I may be at dougs from 5ish until about 630 if you need a hand with anything.

00regcab
09-25-2008, 11:36 PM
we've got all of the wires traced, tomorrow im going to try something with two more wires. If that doesnt work, then its fucking going to ORS when i get back to solve the damn problem, and it's going to be getting locked via screw driver once again.

My CB is still acting weird, i think i'll just deal with it for this weekend, and go get it replaced next week.

Chalkie
09-26-2008, 05:14 AM
My CB is still acting weird, i think i'll just deal with it for this weekend, and go get it replaced next week.

Yet another reason to get a ham license. :D

mrdoug
09-26-2008, 08:26 PM
we've got all of the wires traced, tomorrow im going to try something with two more wires. If that doesnt work, then its fucking going to ORS when i get back to solve the damn problem, and it's going to be getting locked via screw driver once again.

Ha. yeah, you sound like you've had a few cases of beer. The way the voice is distorted, I'd think it's something with the radio itself, not the wiring. good luck with that.

I'm seriously interested to know if running up those last 2 wires solves your locker problem.

Chalkie, I know HAM is THE shit, but come on, a screwed up radio is a screwed up radio.

Chalkie
09-28-2008, 06:29 PM
Chalkie, I know HAM is THE shit, but come on, a screwed up radio is a screwed up radio.

Yep, you're correct. The point I was making, truly (since my attempt at humor fell flat), is that a ham radio (unless you buy a really old used one perhaps) is not likely to be "bad". I think ham radio operators expect and demand more from the makers. Ham radios are not designed to be 'throw away' like it seems most CBs are these days. Additionally, most of the mobile antennas do not need to have the SWR adjusted.

ike
09-29-2008, 03:09 AM
Not completly sure yet, but after yesterday it looks like Nates problem may just be his short coax. It is short to the point of pulling on the grommet he ran it through and kinking itself. He was loud and clear for a few hours in the morning after adjusting it.

Chalkie
09-29-2008, 05:22 AM
Simply kinking coax will not affect the signal. However, if it kinked so tight that it broke the center lead, that is not good. You can use a volt/ohm meter to check continuity.

Quick Draw
09-29-2008, 12:12 PM
Hahaha....my CB still works after burning the shit out of my coax, while it was zip tied to the other side of the frame I was welding on... It's good stuff...

00regcab
09-29-2008, 07:39 PM
Mines too short and it pulls tight against the grommet i removed going into the cab, so the sheet metal is cutting into it.

I dont think thats it Ike... im going to get the radio swapped out, and get a new coax cable wednesday.

poorboyota26
09-29-2008, 10:23 PM
when you pinch the coax or kink it you reduce the band width PERMANENTLY believe me I have fixed thousands of peoples satellite and cable because they ran cable in crown molding and pinched it or nailed through it. I can show you that if you kink a cable and then straighten it out the signal will not be as good as it was before the kink. So when you install your kinked cable, even though you get signal or people can hear you, it's not 100%