: Stupid CB...

Fuod
09-26-2008, 02:29 PM
So, after a few weeks of anticipation I finally worked up the energy to install my CB today. I purchased the Uniden Pro 538w because its supposed to fit into a standard DIN slot... :kewl:

Well, I got the dash taken apart (I rewired the current stereo in the mean time) and wired everything up. When everything tested OK I went to put everything back together only to found out the CB is about 1.5 inches longer then the mounting depth. :doh:

So now I have no idea what I'm going to do, and there really is no other place in the cab to install the CB without it being in the way somehow. I'm thinking maybe the Cobra 19 would be a better choice since it supposedly fits in place of the ashtray... :confused:

:aahg: :suicide: :banghead:

Well, at least the stereo sounds a hell of a lot better now! :explode:

ike
09-26-2008, 04:27 PM
That is why i got the cobra 75wxst

Fuod
09-26-2008, 04:55 PM
That is why i got the cobra 75wxst

Yeah, I thought about that one but it was almost twice the price...

Live and learn... :o

95toyotan
09-27-2008, 11:12 AM
Anybody know if this would fit in the ashtray area? Haven't measured it yet:o

http://i523.photobucket.com/albums/w358/gonebroke/0002837720105_500X500.jpg

It says it's like 1.5" x 4.5" I think, From wally world for $35.

Mr Tacomi
09-27-2008, 11:38 AM
So, after a few weeks of anticipation I finally worked up the energy to install my CB today. I purchased the Uniden Pro 538w because its supposed to fit into a standard DIN slot... :kewl:

Well, I got the dash taken apart (I rewired the current stereo in the mean time) and wired everything up. When everything tested OK I went to put everything back together only to found out the CB is about 1.5 inches longer then the mounting depth. :doh:

So now I have no idea what I'm going to do, and there really is no other place in the cab to install the CB without it being in the way somehow. I'm thinking maybe the Cobra 19 would be a better choice since it supposedly fits in place of the ashtray... :confused:

:aahg: :suicide: :banghead:

Well, at least the stereo sounds a hell of a lot better now! :explode:

When I installed my Uniden 520xl, it was hitting the heater air ducting in the back... I put a 90' adapter on the back of the C.B. for the antenna mount and that let the thing sit in a chunk deeper (was also better on the antenna wire)... other folks have either cut into the heater ducting, heated and reshaped the heater ducting, or modified the radio to have an antenna 'dongle' instead of a connection right on the back of the unit...

Good Luck!

Hey... what am I doing in Indiana... man the internet can sure mess with your mind!

muddertrucker99
09-27-2008, 10:03 PM
Anybody know if this would fit in the ashtray area? Haven't measured it yet:o

http://i523.photobucket.com/albums/w358/gonebroke/0002837720105_500X500.jpg

It says it's like 1.5" x 4.5" I think, From wally world for $35.

I'm currently running that radio and like it. I have it mounted in my ashtray.

Fuod
09-27-2008, 11:37 PM
When I installed my Uniden 520xl, it was hitting the heater air ducting in the back... I put a 90' adapter on the back of the C.B. for the antenna mount and that let the thing sit in a chunk deeper (was also better on the antenna wire)... other folks have either cut into the heater ducting, heated and reshaped the heater ducting, or modified the radio to have an antenna 'dongle' instead of a connection right on the back of the unit...

Yeah, I really don't want to (for a lack of a better word) hamper my heating/cooling system.

I know Hoss mentioned those 90' adapters before, maybe I should have listened to him... Hell, maybe we should all listen to him! :rolleyes: Who knows what he might enlighten us with next! :D

95toyotan
09-28-2008, 05:57 PM
I'm currently running that radio and like it. I have it mounted in my ashtray.

Great I may get that one, It's certainly cheap enough!

Bear
09-29-2008, 09:06 AM
I know Hoss mentioned those 90' adapters before, maybe I should have listened to him... Hell, maybe we should all listen to him! :rolleyes: Who knows what he might enlighten us with next! :D

what a scary thought!:eek:

Hoss
09-29-2008, 09:18 AM

My wife finally had this epiphany about 5 years into our marriage. It used to burn her ass up when I was right and she was wrong. I used to wait for shit to blow up in her face and I would drop the old, "Nobody listens to Jamie, but he seems to always know what he's talkin about when it's all said and done." Now, she listens and things are much smoother. :)

I have an illegal CB I'll sell you for cheap. Very small profile and it pushes about 35 watts. (thats about 31 too many)

muddertrucker99
09-29-2008, 10:47 AM
My wife finally had this epiphany about 5 years into our marriage. It used to burn her ass up when I was right and she was wrong. I used to wait for shit to blow up in her face and I would drop the old, "Nobody listens to Jamie, but he seems to always know what he's talkin about when it's all said and done." Now, she listens and things are much smoother. :)

I have an illegal CB I'll sell you for cheap. Very small profile and it pushes about 35 watts. (thats about 31 too many)

That sounds like you can each Japan and talk to the egineers for toyota with that radio.