: 4HI and 4LO

SilverStreak05
06-06-2005, 12:46 AM
Let me preface this message by saying that I've never had a 4 wheel drive truck, so I'm pretty clueless about how stuff is supposed to function. I was out messing around with the 4HI and 4LO settings, just to see what it was like. 4HI drove pretty much like I expected, not much different than 2HI. I dropped it down into 4LO and it was really slow to accelerate and shifted between gears really quick. I stopped, dropped it down into 1st gear, and it would barely move at all, almost like a slipping clutch (mine is auto). Just wondering if all this is normal? Sorry for the ignorant question, but like I said I'm a total noob still trying to figure stuff out.

BLOWNYOTA
06-06-2005, 12:51 AM
To put it in short. Its like riding your 26 speed moutain bike in the lowest gear "granny". it allows the speed to be much more controlled and in the powerband in rough terrain, therefore making it easier to negotiate in certain applications. 4 high is your normal street gears but with 4wd. AKA higher speed use, or snow.

hytenor
06-06-2005, 01:36 PM
Let me preface this message by saying that I've never had a 4 wheel drive truck, so I'm pretty clueless about how stuff is supposed to function. I was out messing around with the 4HI and 4LO settings, just to see what it was like. 4HI drove pretty much like I expected, not much different than 2HI. I dropped it down into 4LO and it was really slow to accelerate and shifted between gears really quick. I stopped, dropped it down into 1st gear, and it would barely move at all, almost like a slipping clutch (mine is auto). Just wondering if all this is normal? Sorry for the ignorant question, but like I said I'm a total noob still trying to figure stuff out.

please tell us that you didn't do all of this on pavement.

read the owner's manual.

SilverStreak05
06-06-2005, 11:19 PM
No, I didn't do it on the pavement.

The owners manual only tells you in what situations you might use those gear settings and how to get in and out of them, not what effects it's having on the drivetrain. That's what I was trying to find out. Thanks.

hytenor
06-07-2005, 12:27 AM
No, I didn't do it on the pavement.

The owners manual only tells you in what situations you might use those gear settings and how to get in and out of them, not what effects it's having on the drivetrain. That's what I was trying to find out. Thanks.

whew... :eek:

the manual just gives you the basics of how to get in and out of 4wd.

you need to come out on our next Hollister Hills run ;) Most of the trails there can be done in a stock Taco with or w/o a rear locker.

pportera
06-07-2005, 11:33 AM

Only use 4wheel drive off road.
4-low is just that. 4x4 at a very low ratio couse its running through the transfer case. Use this for slow rough rocky terrain. Also good for over sized tires with stock gearing :cool: .

U need to go find a dirt road or somthing first to test out the 4x4. Then after u master that head out some easy trails. I wouldent go mud boggin just yet, not untill u are ready to deal with replacing parts and seals.

GangusKhanh
06-12-2005, 09:37 AM
Whats wrong with 4HI and 4LO in pavement?

atwinda
06-12-2005, 10:43 AM
Whats wrong with 4HI and 4LO in pavement?

The transfer case is sending torque equally to front and rear drive shafts, meaning that when you start to turn, and the front takes a different path than the rear, you'll get binding- which in extreme cases can lead to driveline failure.

4wd should only really be used on dry pavement if you are doing a recovery, or simular.

Timstoy
06-25-2005, 01:22 PM
You should go to Hollister Hills off road park for one of their all day 4X4 work shops and get to know your rig. You will have a lot more fun and meet a lot of other toyota owners.