: Broken R&P

00regcab
10-01-2008, 11:32 PM
Well after one hell of a driveline problem (details here: http://www.tacomaterritory.com/forum/showthread.php?t=112806) and no input from the ttora folk, i went ahead and tore my rear end apart.

I found the passenger spring hanger bolt was loose, possibly causing most of this problem.

I also said fuck it, and pulled the 3rd member. Which from the start wasnt good, following the drain plug were several large chunks of metal. The oil was a nice over-creamed coffee color with metallic flake to it. Some odd hour or so later, and misc. bolts, 3rd member comes out. 7 total teeth are damage, 2 are complete gone, 3 are half to 3/4 missing, and 2 are 1/4 missing. 4 are grouped together, and the other 3 are about another 1/4 of a turn around the ring gear.

Time for a new R&P. I just talked to a buddy who does a lot of drag racing, and has rebuilt a few rear ends. He suggested auburn gear, or richmond, what do you guys think?. I was told this R&P is Yukon, cryo treated, but im not 100% sure on that. I should be able to tell once its all torn apart, correct? Its my understanding that yukon has a life time warranty on all of their Ring and Pinions, or is that a false statement?

Either way, i need to get either a new R&P ordered ASAP (like tomorrow), or find out if yukon will warranty it (if it really is a yukon set). I know a few people on this forum can do install/setup. Troy, did you mention you were capable of doing backlash? I know Brian is for sure, anybody else.

I need this done ASAP and ACAP (as cheap as possible :p ), if i go much over a $300 budget to get this done, i wont be able to swing gas for moab in november.

Let me know what you guys would suggest, any helpful info is greatly appreciated.

RedRunnertc
10-02-2008, 08:06 AM
Yeah, Chris, it's an elocker.

Yukon doesn't make gears, they just rebrand other manufacturers'. You should be able to see a logo on the side of the ring gear.

I think it's funny that so many people bash Genuine Gear from 4WP, and then recommend Yukon, when both are made by Richmond. My understanding is that Precision and USGear are the best, followed by Richmond, Motive, etc. IMHO, the setup and breakin are WAY more important than the brand of gears.

Yes, I can check backlash, but I'm not super comfortable doing a total install. You will need to have the pinion gear pressed off if you want to save it.

fjcruzer
10-02-2008, 12:02 PM
Dunno if any of this will help:

http://denver.craigslist.org/pts/858761700.html

http://denver.craigslist.org/pts/853973167.html

http://denver.craigslist.org/pts/843554319.html

ike
10-02-2008, 12:21 PM
Dont think any of those would work in an e-locker rear axle, but i am not sure.

00regcab
10-02-2008, 01:16 PM
Chris, sorry, it is a trd e-locker rear.

The oil wasnt overly contimanted with metal shavings, but they were noticable. The rear end just had all new bearings/seals put in it not even 10,000 miles ago, will it be a big issue if i do not replace these parts. I do not have a press or all of the tools to do it, ended up paying a specialty shop to do it last time and it ran me about $160 just to have new bearings pressed on my axle shafts. I'll replace the seals that i can get to/do properly though for sure.

So genuine gear will work fine as long as i get a good install kit, and a good setup? The truck gets wheeled pretty hard, but doesnt see ant skinny pedal abuse. I might fork out the extra money for the piece of mind and purchase richmond.

Troy, didnt yukon/richmond replace your R/P for free last time you blew it up (cottora summer picnic @ bill more last year)? Would they do the same for me, or do i need to have proof of purchase (ie: original owner/purchaser) to have that done?

I can spend more than $300, but it'll take me longer to get it done, and i'll be scrambling to get money saved back up for moab. We'll see what happens with that though. I thought about calling yota yard and jims to see if i could bargain with them, on trading a few stock parts, plus my wheels/tires, and maybe a little cash for a good condition TRD diff. Even if its only 4.10 i can at least drive the truck until i get this diff rebuilt, plus then i'll have a trail spare.

I'll start looking into prices on things and ordering stuff tonight when i get home from work. I had a PM from a fellow ttora member (zuk) who offered to do the install/setup, but i think shipping would be rather exspensive to get it there. I'd like to try to find someone local to do it if i can.

RedRunnertc
10-02-2008, 02:09 PM
Mine are Genuine Gears, and yes, they were covered under warranty.

thefatkid
10-02-2008, 03:10 PM
I can build a mean differential. Im loco also!

If you want to do things right I would replace the bearings. Metal shavings in the fluid will be "forged" into the races and bearings due to gear oil does a good job of suspending the particles (bad thing). I'm sure you will find wear on the surfaces when you pull them apart. So a full install kit would be good (rember to order a e-locker install kit, not 8").

I perfer Precision Gears. They seem to have the best quality for gear pattern (some patterns walk due to a incorrect/uneven machining). Yukon cut their own housebrand gears (I thought) and the "yukon value gear" was a rebadged genuine. Either was yukon standards set up good and seem to last a good amount of time. I have had good luck with Richmonds though they seem to be more expensive.

I have never had a company honor a gear warranty. I always get the "excessive abuse, incorrect install" lame excuse. 4wp was the worst, had pictures that showed gear pattern, backlash and preload, that claim was denied. I think you would be lucky to find anyone who honors a non-shop installed gearset. But when you think about it, anything over stock qualifies as abuse in the eyes of a bank account.

I would not get a gearset cryoed, cryo treating "softens" most metals to allow more flexing before breakage. Flexing is the last thing you want in a DD gearset. It also removes the heat treating of the gearset making the face contact softer, shortening the life of the gear.

thefatkid
10-02-2008, 03:10 PM
Mine are Genuine Gears, and yes, they were covered under warranty.

Wow, did they do the setup?

00regcab
10-02-2008, 06:40 PM
Brian... you have PM.

RedRunnertc
10-02-2008, 08:46 PM
Nope - had a local Jeep shop install them when I lived in Ohio.

FYI, cryo doesn't affect the hardness significantly - they change the temper to soften them up to be more damage tolerant (at the expense of long term wear). As a metallurgist, I find the "science" behind cryo questionable at best.

00regcab
10-02-2008, 10:01 PM
Nope - had a local Jeep shop install them when I lived in Ohio.

FYI, cryo doesn't affect the hardness significantly - they change the temper to soften them up to be more damage tolerant (at the expense of long term wear). As a metallurgist, I find the "science" behind cryo questionable at best.

any specific 'treatment' you'd recommend for how i wheel my truck? (while keeping in mind, its still my DD)

RedRunnertc
10-02-2008, 10:39 PM
IMHO, just normal gears, make sure the carrier bearing preload is set nice and high and get the backlash right for the gears you choose.

00regcab
10-02-2008, 10:52 PM
thats kinda what i figured.

the carrier preload is garbage right now...

the carrier moves independently from the housing probably a 3/4" to 1", not sure if that was (again) something wrong with the install, or if its because of the crush sleeve being crushed or what the deal is there...

i dont know jack about diffs, so its about time i learned lol....

i know enough to know that its not something i want to try to do myself though :p

cchark
10-03-2008, 03:05 AM
Sorry,
-Scrap the cheap 8" fix- Assuming you maybe had an Ole school 8" from your sig
-If you found any shavings and not just chunks- Replace the bearings
-BE SURE TO use a new crush sleeve on the pinion load- and/or check it time and time again as it WILL loosen up using an existing sleeve
'We' always set up 'lunch box lockers' a tad bit tight as they have a lil slop in them. Set your E-lok to spec and cure the new gears slow ;)

ike
10-05-2008, 06:50 PM
Any luck finding gears yet?

00regcab
10-05-2008, 08:56 PM
justdifferentials.com

probably going to be ordering everything from them, and i should HOPEFULLY be ordering everything this week. (wednesday or so)

ike
10-05-2008, 10:02 PM
Sounds promising. Hopefully the trucks back together by November.

00regcab
10-05-2008, 11:51 PM
Sounds promising. Hopefully the trucks back together by November.

it will be :kewl:

going to get my new tires mounted tuesday afternoon.

I hope 5 255/85/16's will fit in the back of a pathfinder lol

ike
10-06-2008, 07:05 AM
Good luck with that. You may be tieing some to the roof.

00regcab
10-06-2008, 01:14 PM
I think i can manage it, just fold the seat down, and stack 4 of them to one side laying flat, then throw the spare in standing up on the other side.

hopefully.... lol

RedRunnertc
10-06-2008, 02:14 PM
I fit 4 34x9.50 TSL's in the back of the 4Runner ...

TowerRigger
10-06-2008, 08:06 PM
What ratio you runnin. Sell you a 4.11 rearend with a lunchbox.

ike
10-06-2008, 10:26 PM
He is running 529s with an elocker in the rear.

00regcab
10-06-2008, 11:13 PM
DAMMIT!

The 255/85/16 trxus MT is SHORTER (with full tread) than my bald bfg 33x10.5's

they're going back tomorrow. not happy at all.

most likely going to be going with a 34x12.5, way too wide for my liking, but i need the ground clearance with the way i wheel.

opinions? thoughts?

TowerRigger
10-07-2008, 12:27 AM
Damn you popped those tall gears in when I wasn't lookin. No wonder I've been hearing all these stories about how bad ass Nate and his rig are getting to be.:D

Lysmachia
10-07-2008, 12:30 AM
Damn you popped those tall gears in when I wasn't lookin. No wonder I've been hearing all these stories about how bad ass Nate and his rig are getting to be.:D

I know! That fucker is UBER quick! We're getting old Kyle! :D

00regcab
10-07-2008, 08:46 AM
*snickers*

old indeed...

errrr......

did i just say that out loud? :p

ordering Yukon R/P, Yukon Master Install, solid pinion spacer tonight.

Volcom
10-07-2008, 10:24 AM
I've got a friend of mine that sets gears and does quite a few of them on the side. He setup both F&R 5.29's on my truck. So far, so good with the 40's. I can send you his contact info you need it.

00regcab
10-07-2008, 05:39 PM
I've got a friend of mine that sets gears and does quite a few of them on the side. He setup both F&R 5.29's on my truck. So far, so good with the 40's. I can send you his contact info you need it.

Appreciate the offer, but i've already had Brian step up and volunteer to do it for a great price.

I'll keep this in mind though.

Changed up what i ordered a little bit, either way. its ordered as of now.