: The FJ Project

mpiercey
10-05-2008, 09:17 AM
Well after balancing the checkbook and going to church for some spiritual advice from my Priest, I went ahead and ordered my rock sliders from All Pro. I really like the design, saw them on another FJ and witnessed it saving the owner from a potentailly nasty "ding" in his rear quarter panel.

Bear/Crosby - I have spent a few hours on the telephone about the angle of my upper control arms because of my suspension lift. They all said that I had ptentially a few years on the upper ball joint, however my handling is compromised losing "it's castor angle and sends the front suspension geometry out of whack" which came from Man-A-Fre whom spent the most time talking to me about this. They claim thier upper control arm works and is the easiest fix. So, I have put these on my wish list/must haves before making the FJ Summit run next year.:rolleyes:

I have decided to put a light bar on the top as well as a couple of lights on my new winch bumper (once I find one I like). Allthough the bar is inexpensive the lights are not. Would like some input from the club on what lights work the best but won't burn a hole in my wallet.:)

This is my short term plans for now, most expensive stuff pushed out so I can save up money.

Keep you posted as I rig up the FJ!

Griz

Bear
10-06-2008, 09:43 AM
Well Griz, regarding lights, the limits are only your wallet, as with most of the stuff in our hobby. I like light force, but can't afford them myself. I have a variety of lights on my truck, pro comps inside my front bumper (the dimmest of all I have) Some hellas FF50's and FF70's (if I am remembering the model numbers right) as rock lights, both sets are plenty bright for the size of the light.

I am also glad you check with an Man-a-free on the ball joints and control arm questions.

So when and where are we putting the sliders on at? did you get bolt on or weld to frame?

mpiercey
10-07-2008, 08:44 AM
Once I get them and paint them (decided on the "Bear Rattle Can method", than we'll set a date.

These supposingly bolt on using the factory provided holes. For now I believe I am going to bolt them on and follow up with a bead of welding because I know the Bear likes to use his new blue box!

Hoss
10-07-2008, 09:42 AM
lights (in order of preference)

LightForce
PIAA
IPF
KC
Hella

The IPF 968/868 lights are damned good for the money (~$100/pair). They come with 55w and 100w bulbs and will out-perform any Hella 500 around.:2cents:

Bear
10-07-2008, 09:47 AM
that ain't my blue box! never said it was. It's jeep crashers that just hasn't gone home yet.

Speaking of JC, if I can get him to finish his remodeling, he is the one that should be doing the welding. I can't hold a candle to his work.

But let me know your time table and we will work things out.

I think you will be much happier with the rattle can over the powder coating. speaking of which I have a lot of painting to do before it starts getting cooler! my sliders currently are multi color, primer gray, rust orange and a little bit of black with burgundy showing through. (yes I have put a lot of coats of paint on mine :o ) I think this time I am going to "bling" them out and go with a new color. I also found some rust on my new bumper that needs to be touched up (will be a good example of why you should not powder coat armor :mad: ) I basically need to repaint every piece of armor on my truck (except the tranny skid…go figure, I just threw a coat of clear over the bare metal and it's the part that is lasting the best)

Bear
10-07-2008, 09:54 AM
lights (in order of preference)

LightForce
PIAA
IPF
KC
Hella

The IPF 968/868 lights are damned good for the money (~$100/pair). They come with 55w and 100w bulbs and will out-perform any Hella 500 around.:2cents:
I have to agree with the top of this list, except I have never really been around any of the KC "family" of lights so I would have to put Hella above them until proven differently (just personal experience talking here)

I just wish I could afford these lights but you gotta do with what you can afford!:o

Hoss
10-07-2008, 09:54 AM
I second that. Don't PC armor, it's a waste of money and it only looks good until it gets used. Once it's used and scratched, then you can't touch it up as well as with spraypaint.

Hoss
10-07-2008, 10:01 AM
I have to agree with the top of this list, except I have never really been around any of the KC "family" of lights so I would have to put Hella above them until proven differently (just personal experience talking here)

I just wish I could afford these lights but you gotta do with what you can afford!:o

KC makes my list b/c of the slimline series and the 130/150w lamps available. Those lights will flat-out fry your retinas. There's a guy here in town with a Jeep loaded down with 150w KC's and that thing will give you a suntan.

Yeah, if you're on a tight light budget, Hella is probably your best bet. If you look around, you can find deals all over the place on some Hella 500's. Last year, some guy on YotaTech found them overstocked at Cabella's and they were letting thm go for $25/pair. I will say this, though, the Hella "Black Magic" lights are some of the worst I've owned, and that includes Pro-comp. Those lights run ~$200/pair and I had a set of 5" ProComps with PIAA bulbs in them that would blow the black magics away for a fraction of the cost.

BTW- I would never have had the chance to own a pair of LightForce lights had it not been for the raffle and steal I got them for.

Bear
10-07-2008, 10:33 AM
What PIAA bulbs did you put in your procomps? I have the 5" procomps in my bumper and as I referenced they are the dimmest of all my lights (not that I have a lot) But I would like to upgrade them if I can. It just means taking my bumper down again, which is no easy task. :(

Oops, didn't mean to hijack Griz's thread here! you can answer in pm if you wish.

Hoss
10-07-2008, 10:42 AM
H3 55w Star-Whites

/threadjack

Bear
10-07-2008, 11:09 AM
thanks, and you said they were PiAA's? Gotcha!

40%, 60% brighter?????? what would be your guess?

Hoss
10-07-2008, 11:46 AM
At least 50% brighter than the stock Pro-Comp bulbs, and the Pro-comp lights with the PIAA bulbs were, I dunno, probably 20-30% brighter thna the black magics. But, same size bulb, same wattage between the two lights, one light has a small refractor and one has a big, dark refractor.

With that said, the Pro-Comps were spot lenses and the Hellas were, well, whatever you call that type of lens on a black magic. I guess it's a cross between a spot and a fog light lens. But, when I had both sets on the bumper, the white light from the piaa bulbs would actually cut through the yellowish light from the hellas.

mpiercey
10-08-2008, 06:51 PM
Thanks for the light ideas, even though money is always part of the decision I don't want to buy something that won't work.

All Pro was supose to have shipped my sliders yesterday but I never got an email of such. Guess I'll give them a call and see what is going on. I need to get them on so I can go WHEEL'IN

YeeeHaaa - Having fun yet?

By the way the Hoosier Cruisers are planning a run at Badlands this weekend. I can't go because of an aniversary but wanted you guys to know that there will be a bunch of really cool ole FJ's playing around over there.

Bear
10-09-2008, 08:41 AM
Why do they always plan their runs when I can't be in the area? Starting to give me a complex :(

Happy Happy joy joy on the anniversary BtW! We just decided that we are going to King's island for the wifes b-day. (mixed feelings on that one. wanted to do something for her, but we have some tickets that we need to burn and this is the only open weekend for us)

mpiercey
10-09-2008, 02:00 PM
Well.......Called All Pro, they just shipped my sliders, gave me a "trackin" number so I can count the days.

Bear, have fun at King's Island, tell the wife Happy B-Day from us.

I haven't made any plans for our anniversary yet, don't know if she has guess I'll find out soon enough. I was going to suggest us painting my new sliders and having a few beers in the gararge, probably good that they won't be here she would say it wasn't romantic.........But I LOVE them new sliders!

Bear
10-09-2008, 03:06 PM
well let us know when they get here.

Believe it or not, in the past, I have actually gone on runs on our anniversary and such.

Just more of a reason for me to try and concentrate on her on her birthday.

But tonight, I think I will get her out in the garage and help me move some things around ;) pam has never refused to help me with anything! Guess that is why I keep her around or vice versa.

mpiercey
10-28-2008, 05:55 PM
Well, continuing on with the FJ..........Sliders came in and looked great. Cleaned them up, primed and painted them. Took all of about 30 mins to install (bolted on,matched the same holes for the Toyota sliders). With the nuts installed in the frame it was a snap. I still think I need to weld them just in case things get a little dicey.

Because of our economic times I am finding things fairly reasonable for my wish list. The light bar that I wanted went from $130 dallors plus shipping to $83 with free shipping. This was a no brainer, grabbed it up and will be at my doorstep this week. The wife was also impressed after I explained to her I basically got it at 50% off. I think I have settled for either KC or Hella lights, just keeping an eye on prices and will jump if they drop.

This past weekend I installed my A-Trac switch. Through the FJ Forum it was broadcasted that all FJ's come with the A-Trac system installed, just don't give you the switch to enable it. If you buy the option at dealership they charge you $$$ for it. I bought the factory switch, tore apart the console and what do you know, the wire harness was attached to the dummy switch. I popped out the dummy, unhooked the wire harness, plugged it into the new switch and wola it worked.

Got to love the forums!

I am hoping within the next few paychecks.:cool: to purchase my upper control arms as this has moved to the top of my list.

and the project continues.............

brinner
10-28-2008, 06:20 PM
:xpopcorn2

95toyotan
10-28-2008, 09:29 PM
:kewl:

And don't forget

:worthless

twhzr7s
10-29-2008, 03:54 PM
Which light bar did you get?

Bear
10-29-2008, 10:57 PM
Well with the sliders being bolted in, it will make them easier to weld. ;)

Good find on the both the Atrac switch and the light bar.

I would like to see the cruiser now with sliders and bar on.

mpiercey
10-31-2008, 08:33 AM
I picked out the Tuffy light bar, it comes with a small wire tray along the bottom so to keep everything nice and tidy.

Well, the wife got tired of me sulking around so she opened up her purse and let me pick out my Christmas presents from her. So I ordered some lights for my bar (light bar), HiLift Jack, Mounts for the HiLift to my OEM rack, ARB onboard compressor with accessory kit. All found and bought with at least 15% off on the price.

Now I need to figure out my switches, I want to add some lights on the rear end as well. Found this picture from the FJ Forum where I guy added lights and air to the blank plate on the left hand side. I think it looks kinda cool.

(Bear, you and I need to spend a little time helping me understand how to use this. I can't seem to be able to attach pictures, don't know what I am doing wrong.) Well since I can't attach I can't send you a pic.

Once I get trained on how to attach/paste, i'll send a pic of the FJ with the new sliders on.

I'm Gone

Griz:cool:

mpiercey
10-31-2008, 08:35 AM
Talked to Soon, damn if it didn't show up. Bear, guess I don't need ang schooling after all.

brinner
10-31-2008, 08:41 AM
or just right-click, save the pic to desktop, then upload the newly saved file to photobucket, then use the direct hyperlink provided by the photobucket to fill in the "hyperlink to picture/file" field after hitting the Insert image button on the Reply or Quick reply. (you know, the little button next to the Earth with an sideways figure 8)

does that help?

Bear
10-31-2008, 08:50 AM
Glad you got the image attached, Brinner is more Pc proficient than I am ( I normally operate a Mac, but learning PC due to home computer) But his quick tutorial is spot on. It is the best way to post an image

(Brinner do a quick write up and sticky it please)

back to your switches. The image you provided look to be 12volt guy switches if I am guessing right. He stuff is good quality but you also pay for that.

But I am sure you know mounting all your switches there would be pretty easy. That area of the dash is voided behind the plastic so you should have plenty of room for all your wires and the location is out of the way for your daily activities so you won't risk the accidental flip on/off.

On your hi- lift mount. You might want to evaluate the actual need. My experience with the mounts from their factory has always been; "they work, but it can be done better" type of thought. and they always seem to rattle.

We might be able to custom build a better mount if you are interested. I know my hi-lift mount is quieter than a church mouse and it is solid. Only problem is it throws the hi-lift out into the elements and it is beginning to suffer due to it.

mpiercey
10-31-2008, 09:08 AM
I don't have "photobucket", what is it and where do I get it?

mpiercey
10-31-2008, 09:11 AM
Hopefully I will be able to attach the pics of the sliders.

Bear
10-31-2008, 09:12 AM
I don't have "photobucket", what is it and where do I get it?

Here you go Mark

http://photobucket.com/

a free, online photo storage that you can easily link your images from for forum use/attachments.

mpiercey
10-31-2008, 09:15 AM
Now I am out of room for attachments allowed.........I guess I am in need of some serious school'in

Bear
10-31-2008, 09:20 AM
I don't even use the attachment button.

Go set up an account on that link I provided. transfer your photos/files to that site ( will also free up some memory on your hard drive) and then link from that site back to your post. You will never run out of attachment allotment and your photos will be automatically sized for this format.

Once you get the hang of it (won't take long) will really become "that simple"

Bear
10-31-2008, 09:21 AM
Hopefully I will be able to attach the pics of the sliders.

I do like the looks of where that is going!

mpiercey
10-31-2008, 09:29 AM
How about this

http://i466.photobucket.com/albums/rr22/mpiercey/DSCN0500.jpg (http://i466.photobucket.com/albums/rr22/mpiercey/DSCN0500.jpg")

http://http://i466.photobucket.com/albums/rr22/mpiercey/DSCN0499.jpg (http://i466.photobucket.com/albums/rr22/mpiercey/DSCN0499.jpg")

http://http://i466.photobucket.com/albums/rr22/mpiercey/DSCN0498.jpg (http://i466.photobucket.com/albums/rr22/mpiercey/DSCN0498.jpg")

Let me know if this works?

mpiercey
10-31-2008, 09:39 AM
Here is a pic of the HiLift mount I am getting.

http://i466.photobucket.com/albums/rr22/mpiercey/ARBRACKHILIFT.jpg

mpiercey
10-31-2008, 09:42 AM
YeeeeHaaaaaaa

Thanks for the help

Here are the pics of the sliders.

http://i466.photobucket.com/albums/rr22/mpiercey/DSCN0499.jpg

http://i466.photobucket.com/albums/rr22/mpiercey/DSCN0498.jpg

And here is one showing my "Colors".

http://i466.photobucket.com/albums/rr22/mpiercey/DSCN0500.jpg

Griz :rolleyes:

mpiercey
10-31-2008, 09:46 AM
Forgot to mention that I picked out KC Daylighters for my lights. Preety good price and they had lots of positive reviews.

:saw:

Griz

Bear
10-31-2008, 10:12 AM
couple of things with your adding the photos from photobucket.

1. when you copy over the link from photobucket, on the dialog box that you place the "URL" into. the http:// is highlighted. don't deselect that, because if you do then you place two http codes for a single link and you can not open the link. ( I already fixed that for you on this one post)

2. once you link from photobucket, you can not then go back to photobucket to move or delete those images. If you do, you create a broken link and all the viewer gets is a blank image box or the dreaded :redx:

Hope some of this helps.

Bear
10-31-2008, 10:13 AM
yea, i am going to retract my earlier comment on the hi lift mount, We can't build one that looks that nice. Go with your first thoughts on that one!

not that you weren't anyway. LOL

mpiercey
11-15-2008, 02:29 PM
Ok, the HiLift jack is installed, looks good on the truck, I just finished installing the ARB complressor, got the wire harness run over to firewall just waiting on finishing the light bar. That way I just wrestle with the wires once.....Unfortunately one of the wiring harnesses sent to me was wrong so the replacement is on the way. Hopefully :rolleyes: I will have it done by meeting day.

I know "where's the pictures?", once the weather clears up I'll send some.

Griz