TTORA Forum banner

My FJZ80 has a clunk

5K views 9 replies 9 participants last post by  LandSpeeder 
#1 ·
When I put my '96 LX450 into drive, I hear and feel a "clunk". It's getting worse every time I wheel it :rolleyes:

I've put it in neutral, chocked the tires and looked at the u joints. They didn't seem to have any slop that I could feel.

What is most likely the problem here?

#3 ·
What size lift, if any are you running? This seems to be fairly common on lifted 80's. Mine does it slightly but has not been getting worse.

You might also want to search the Mud board: http://forum.ih8mud.com/80-series-tech/

#4 ·
my 91 did that till i snapped a u-joint...replaced them it got a little quiet then started doing it again, i finally took it to a mechanic and he said the shift fork in the transfer case was letting go and it would clunk until it broke then you are stuck in 4hi or 4lo. it never did snap

#6 ·
I have this issue with my 4runner. It seems to go away for a month or two after I grease the u-joints/drive shaft splines.

A guy I work with also had this issue on his 80 series and we checked his u-joints a bunch of times and never found any play in them. He finally took it to a driveline shop and they replaced the u-joints in the rear shaft. The clunk went away.

#7 ·
mine was lifted, i think it has do with the driveline angles. i imagine dropping the t-case would help or running cvs, but its an 80 and unless your a retarded 16yo on a 130kmi original parts your not gunna hurt anything, just bring a spare u joint on the trail

#8 ·
alextreme76 said:
mine was lifted, i think it has do with the driveline angles. i imagine dropping the t-case would help or running cvs, but its an 80 and unless your a retarded 16yo on a 130kmi original parts your not gunna hurt anything, just bring a spare u joint on the trail
How'd I miss this gem? :rolleyes:

YotaJosh said:
Newer 4Runners do that mystierious "clunk", especially when you are stopped at a light, and you let off the brakes and "unload" the drivetrain.

Greasing the splines of the driveshaft seems to make it go away.
^ Correct Diagnosis ^

#10 ·
It could be a number of things: Maybe your transfer case output shafts, maybe your U-joints, maybe even your drive flanges. Most likely everything however. These full-time 4wheel drive beasts love to clunk.
Have you done the CDL upgrade? If so, lock it and shift from R to D and see if it clunks, if it still does then it's most likely your U-joints or drive flanges. Crawl under your rig and see if you can rotate your drive shafts with your hands, that could indicate ring and pinion and output shafts. lift your front tires and slightly rotate your tire back and forth to see if there is play in your flanges. All just suggestions to try to isolate the slop.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.