: Starting Issues

bloodyscrow
10-07-2008, 01:00 PM
well i know the starter is good and i know the battery is good but, when i attempt to turn her over it just clicks. like ka-chunk and then nothing.

now if i remeber correctly i can bridge the gap at the starter solenoid, but i dont know where it located on these toys or what it looks like. if anyone can help me it would be awesome...1986 22r if that helps

Chalkie
10-07-2008, 02:27 PM
Starter on the 22re (at least) is on the passenger side and lot easier to get to from the wheel well than from above. The noise you are describing, if it what I think it is, is due the solenoid not fully engaging, or insufficient juice getting to it. Could be a bad cable from battery to starter, or bad connection, if you are sure the battery itself is good and fully charged.

ike
10-07-2008, 02:34 PM
Sounds like a bad selonid, or starter cable like Chalkie said, as long as the battery actually has juice. Those starters are not that expensive, and every auto parts store usually has them in stock. It is only like a 20 minute change out also.

bloodyscrow
10-07-2008, 02:37 PM
thanks guys, thats pretty much what i was thinking , im gonna pull the whole thing and take it to the parts store and have it all tested lol, kinda crappy since i dont have any money to buy a new part.

but hey at least i live on a hill right? gotta love manual transmission

ike
10-07-2008, 02:52 PM
If you are really broke you can take the thing apart and rebuild it, but it is a PITA, and not really worth it in my opinion.

bloodyscrow
10-07-2008, 03:02 PM
well we shall soon know and again thanks for the help

RedRunnertc
10-07-2008, 04:02 PM
The starter is wired up hot - direct from the battery. It could be as simple as your fusible link gave up the ghost. Check at the post of the starter for a constant 12V.

bloodyscrow
10-07-2008, 06:06 PM
sorry too late tc, i took it to an old parts store here in town i really like and they are gonna see if the starter is bad or not, me and my friend are thinking its bad, so if anyone kows of a cheap starter near by it would be awesome, seeing as i have 20 bucks to my name and a new one is 86 bucks... oh well

ike
10-07-2008, 09:53 PM
I may have one laying around. I will have to look in the garage. At very least i may be able to lend you one for a month or so.

bloodyscrow
10-08-2008, 12:47 AM
thanks a bunch ike, its just right now i cant afford a new one unless my mom decides to help me out, itll just put me in debt to her which i dont mind, but we shall see tomorrow

ike
10-08-2008, 08:12 AM
cool, just let me know.

bloodyscrow
10-08-2008, 01:50 PM
just waiting to hear back about it right now ill let you know