: Taco Steering Rack

Eztrog88
10-07-2008, 06:01 PM
Some my steering rack has slowly been on it's way out for a long time. It's leaking from where the steering shaft enters the rack on the drivers side. Going through about a quart of ATF a month now, so as soon as I have the cash it's getting replaced.

I'm going to search around, but any tips would be greatly appreciated.

Is there anything else I should be replacing with the rack. The rack is pushing the budget as it is, how necessary is replacing the tie rods? Used ok or should I bust for new ones? Poly bushings really make any difference? I'm sick of the play in my steering, so if I'm going to do this, I want nice tight steering I won't have to worry about when I'm done.

I vaguely remember all racks being interchangeable on '95.5 - '04 Taco's, right? What about equivalent 4Runners?

85ATC350x
10-07-2008, 06:58 PM
95.5 to 04 is interchangeable and I am sure that 4runners are as well did you get a price on a new unit or a reman from toyota. I just replaced mine last week and the box said 4runner on it. I can get you the reman number if your dealer cant figure it out. PM me if you need help. Mine was leaking in the same spot.

extremepaint
10-07-2008, 07:22 PM
i did mine last week, i got the rack for 150 at yota yard in good shape, with tie rod ends inner outer and the rag joint and decent bushing

but the poly ones are like 20 something bucks and are worth it in the long haul

Eztrog88
10-07-2008, 07:30 PM
i did mine last week, i got the rack for 150 at yota yard in good shape, with tie rod ends inner outer and the rag joint and decent bushing

but the poly ones are like 20 something bucks and are worth it in the long haul

Yeah, I think I found one a local yard for $150 of a '97 4Runner, have to go look at it though, no idea about what kind of shape its in. New from the parts store is $400, no way I want or can afford to do that. Just found the poly bushing on wheelers, I didn't realize they were that cheap, I'll definitely do those while I have everything out.

I'm going to have to take a look at a reman and see what the price is, any idea where to find that out 85ATC? Dealer?

mrdoug
10-08-2008, 07:24 AM
Some folks have had issues with the energy suspension bushings from Wheelers, It's a long story and there's tons of posts on it if you search. I'd recommend ordering from suspension.com instead.

Eztrog88
10-08-2008, 01:13 PM
Some folks have had issues with the energy suspension bushings from Wheelers, It's a long story and there's tons of posts on it if you search. I'd recommend ordering from suspension.com instead.

Good info, thanks, I've been out of the loop on this stuff for a couple years.

mrdoug
10-08-2008, 04:01 PM
for what it's worth, it's not a problem with energy suspension, it's more with the part numbers and getting the right ES part for your truck.