: Air filters with headers

ViableCalifornia
06-07-2005, 09:14 AM
Stupid question i think...

Do air filters such as the K&N get in the way of headers in any way or do the two components (headers and air filters) do their own things without getting in the way of each other? For example since i have a K&N fipk at the moment, and i decide to get headers down the road complementing an s/c, will headers simply be another performance upgrade or would i have to mod or remove the air filter??

I hope that question made sense.

Thanks.

Mez
06-07-2005, 09:36 AM
The fipk worked nicely w/ a downey header.

Tweeter
06-07-2005, 03:30 PM
I would do the fipk first because you're putting in a lot less stuff than what you take out, so there's more room for whatever you need to do in there. :2cents:

bb609
06-07-2005, 04:07 PM
Stupid question i think...

Do air filters such as the K&N get in the way of headers in any way or do the two components (headers and air filters) do their own things without getting in the way of each other? For example since i have a K&N fipk at the moment, and i decide to get headers down the road complementing an s/c, will headers simply be another performance upgrade or would i have to mod or remove the air filter??

I hope that question made sense.

Thanks.

An intake mod like an FIPK would mount to the throttle body which is on top of your engine. Headers mount to the exhaust ports of your heads on the sides of the engine and run underneath to your exhaust system. Simple answer - no.

XDodgeFJ
11-30-2007, 02:33 PM
I've been playing with cold air intakes for the FJ- and after some real good results with cabin supplied air in the hot LA summers, I totaled the vehicle
on the way to work on very rainy morn..........so that system is gone, and the Replacement FJ begging to be tweaked....Question;The maf sensor location, is it critical as to where in the intake it is located? I have seen special adapters that allow it to be directly behind the filter, at midpoint+-,
and on the stock box-the location is about 4" from the upstream side of the throttle body-does this affect the response timing from the maf/throttlebody
according to the distance between the 2?My last intake had the sensor near its stock location, about 12" from a "y" that went to a). fender well cold air
box, and b). cabin via firewall penetrator. For really wet days, or really hot
periods, the fender well filter can be capped, and the cabin air tapped via under the dash mounted filter. The current config is capped at the "y" for fenderwell supply, the MAFsensor 16" from the TB, and the response seems
to be"lagging"..???:saw: :welder:

Taco Eric
11-30-2007, 02:50 PM
I've been playing with cold air intakes for the FJ- and after some real good results with cabin supplied air in the hot LA summers, I totaled the vehicle
on the way to work on very rainy morn..........so that system is gone, and the Replacement FJ begging to be tweaked....Question;The maf sensor location, is it critical as to where in the intake it is located? I have seen special adapters that allow it to be directly behind the filter, at midpoint+-,
and on the stock box-the location is about 4" from the upstream side of the throttle body-does this affect the response timing from the maf/throttlebody
according to the distance between the 2?My last intake had the sensor near its stock location, about 12" from a "y" that went to a). fender well cold air
box, and b). cabin via firewall penetrator. For really wet days, or really hot
periods, the fender well filter can be capped, and the cabin air tapped via under the dash mounted filter. The current config is capped at the "y" for fenderwell supply, the MAFsensor 16" from the TB, and the response seems
to be"lagging"..???:saw: :welder:

What?

mojavegold
11-30-2007, 05:07 PM
It's all about airflow. With a SC the engine needs lots more air than NA. The K&N won't interfere with the headers, unless you have modified the mounting brackets and dropped it down. Typically the air filter is mounted far enough away from the headers to avoid heat exchange between the hot exhaust manifold and the cooler intake air.