: Mod my truck

Fuod
10-09-2008, 09:27 PM
I'm soon to have some money to spend on my truck, maybe as much as $2000, and I need help deciding what I should do. I don't live in a good neighborhood, hell I'm even afraid to walk it, so I don't really want to do anything that will draw too much attention.

The stereo is already done so that's out. I think I would like a 3" lift or maybe some front/rear armor and sliders... Then again I wouldn't mind a light bar... Problem is all those things scream "Steal me!"...

My truck has just over 24k on it with original tires still in great shape, but maybe some new rubber would be good?

Help me out guys! What mods would you do to your rig if you had an operating crack house a block away from your home?

muddertrucker99
10-09-2008, 09:35 PM
I'm soon to have some money to spend on my truck, maybe as much as $2000, and I need help deciding what I should do. I don't live in a good neighborhood, hell I'm even afraid to walk it, so I don't really want to do anything that will draw too much attention.

The stereo is already done so that's out. I think I would like a 3" lift or maybe some front/rear armor and sliders... Then again I wouldn't mind a light bar... Problem is all those things scream "Steal me!"...

My truck has just over 24k on it with original tires still in great shape, but maybe some new rubber would be good?

Help me out guys! What mods would you do to your rig if you had an operational crack house a block away from your home?

I would put a 3" lift in it and some bigger meats on it. Then i would some sliders and other goodies. If you want i could save you some money and build your sliders and posible a rear bumper.

Fuod
10-09-2008, 09:55 PM
I would put a 3" lift in it and some bigger meats on it. Then i would some sliders and other goodies. If you want i could save you some money and build your sliders and posible a rear bumper.

If I did the armor/bumpers I was planning on getting them from Twentyfootdaredevil... But I really appreciate the offer and I'll definitely keep you in mind if he can't help me! :)

I hope that didn't sound mean, I suck at politeness... :o

phishtaco
10-10-2008, 06:46 AM
I'll assume you have a e-locker....

Bilstein Adjustable struts $180
Shackle or aal out back $50
Rear shocks Bilstein $150
285 Mud Tires $600 (I love the Hankook MTs on my 80 series)
Rock Sliders $200
Front Bumper Allpro $629

Total $1809 plus shipping so about $2000

Then...
Marlin rear bumper $400
Smittybuilt Winch $400

Bear
10-10-2008, 08:00 AM

Help me out guys! What mods would you do to your rig if you had an operating crack house a block away from your home?

Install a 50 cal. in the bed and do repeated drive bys until the house was no longer standing!;)

Seriously, I generally always recommend armor as one of the first mods to be done on a truck. and that is coming from someone that had his truck over 3 years before building his sliders.

Then lift and then tires, and gears w/lockers

with your truck completely stock and given the type of wheel'n you want to do. I think bumpers and sliders would still be a good choice. Sliders can be welded on if you don't mind and would be impossible to steal.

If you custom build the bumper (plate bumper) you can install the lights you want inside the bumper and make them theft proof as well. but lights would not be one of my top priority seeing as you don't night wheel

If you are that concerned with your neighborhood, might think about upgrading your security system. (another idea I have been putting off, even after my recent break in where they got one of my amps)

I would also keep in mind, that if someone wants into your vehicle bad enough, there is no way of keeping them out :(

Hope some of this helps.

Oh! and sliders help tremendously against shopping cart dings! ;)

Bear
10-10-2008, 08:09 AM
Also sounds like a more fitting title for this thread, given your statement about the "hood" would be "pimp my ride!"

So I have to elevate to the top of my list the Shag carpet on the dash mod! more style points if it is pink! :rofl:

Hoss
10-10-2008, 09:49 AM
Sliders and skids, sliders and skids, sliders and skids.

That way, you'll at least be able to wheel it. If you weigh it down with bumpers and winches and crap, you're gonna need a new suspension to support all that weight or your rig will be sitting like a low rider.

Spend good money on sliders and skids first, then go from there.:2cents:

brinner
10-10-2008, 10:38 AM
install everything you want (chrome and all) then roll it, go through white trail @ badlands in reverse and backwards. Then i promise you nobody will steal it.

Full_Tilt_Fud
10-10-2008, 11:11 AM
Armor it...........then bash it into some rocks so your armor has rock rash......that way when the crack heads are congregated in the street and they see you comeing your truck will scream "get the fuck out of my way........I will hit you

honestly I would look into good suspension system (notice I said system not just lift) first and foremost. It is hard to believe just how crappy the stock suspension is on these trucks is till you have had something better. If you add any weight at all your stock stuff will be overwhelmed. I had to throw some stockers on my truck this summer while my hoes were being rebuilt and the truck was almost undriveable (no sway bar did not help) with the added weight I have.

I would go with a full OME setup in your situation........882 springs with billstein hd's up front..........dakar leaves with billstein 5150's out back,.......It is a good middle of the road setup and has been proven time and time again and it will ride 10x better than what you have now.

then what ever $$ is left get some sliders, rear bumper, Budbuilt skid (don't even mess with anything else....Budbuilt is the best hands down), and a front bumper........in that order.

my :2cents:

Fuod
10-10-2008, 11:36 AM
install everything you want (chrome and all) then roll it, go through white trail @ badlands in reverse and backwards. Then i promise you nobody will steal it.
:rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

It's not that I'm worried about sliders or lights getting stolen, I doubt anyone in this neighborhood cares about them. I'm worried that if It looks like I spent a lot on the outside of the truck then they'll want to break in to see what's on the inside.

Fuod
10-10-2008, 11:42 AM
Also sounds like a more fitting title for this thread, given your statement about the "hood" would be "pimp my ride!"
Wouldn't "Pimping" involve 24" rims, super low profiles and slamming the suspension?

Sorry but I'm not living on wellfare and/or selling drugs and I can't stand customtacos.com... :D

brinner
10-10-2008, 12:16 PM
:rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

It's not that I'm worried about sliders or lights getting stolen, I doubt anyone in this neighborhood cares about them. I'm worried that if It looks like I spent a lot on the outside of the truck then they'll want to break in to see what's on the inside.

ohhh dont worry, criminals (unless they are off road junkies) dont know that a built up rig with an exo and 100 dents has had more money spent on it than a 2500 duramax with a 6" lift block lift on it and 35's.

Bear
10-10-2008, 12:20 PM
Honestly, I wouldn't know, all I know is that there is a show on MTV that is called "pimp my ride" and the crap they build for hood rats suck ass!

it is one car show I refuse to watch just from the few snipits I have seen.

Bear
10-10-2008, 12:22 PM
I stopped waxing my truck for that very reason. When it was shiney and fresh looking, I got more attention on it than I do now with it riding on 37"s.

the only reason I "believe" the amp was taken recently was because someone "close" to the family knew what I had inside.

(yes i believe it was an "inside" job so to speak, just have no proof)

brinner
10-10-2008, 01:16 PM
you have GOT to be joking! (seriously?)

Bear
10-10-2008, 01:34 PM
you referring to the amp? (remember the quote button is your friend)

If so…Oh yea!

remember I had one amp before that was a proven performer and the other two were just installed but I could not get them to work? The one that was working was taken, while the other two were untouched. you put 2+2 together as well as a few other details I won't go into here on the board.