TTORA Forum banner

Removable top?

3K views 8 replies 3 participants last post by  mountainpete 
#1 ·
Dumb question but I'm not an LC guy so here goes: Do all FJ40's have a removeable top? I've seen hard tops and soft tops but am not sure if all hard tops can be removed. I searched around here and ih8mud.com and couldn't find a clear answer. Thanks. .....Steve

#2 ·
Yes, the hard tops are removable. It just un bolts kinda like the older 4 Runners. It's a really heavy piece so you'll need some help gettin it off. I tossed mine along with the hard doors and put a soft top on it. I didn't have space to store it and didn't want all that weight up high like that. It was in need of some work anyway. Being as how you're up in the land of cold as hell in winter, you may want to keep a hard top if you get one.

#3 ·
Thanks, the top is in good shape so I'd probably keep it but put a soft top on for summer driving. The guy selling it doesn't know much about it and didn't think the top could come off. It would end up as more of a seasonal driver for me anyways if it works out. .....Steve

#4 ·
STB makes a really nice soft top. I have one and like it a lot. I got their soft 2 piece full/half doors too. It's really versitile as you can run the top fully enclosed or just zip the sides off for a safari top. You can remove windows or roll them up too.

#5 ·
SteveO - did you buy a 40 series? What year? Diesel? I've owned two over the years myself. If you did, there is an EXCELLENT shop in Edmonton that pulls 40 series parts from Australia. A lot cheaper that Specter Off-Road too.

Be careful when you take the top off - it's really heavy with all that glass and it can be hard to get back on if the rust is bad under it.

#6 ·
mountainpete said:
SteveO - did you buy a 40 series? What year? Diesel? I've owned two over the years myself. If you did, there is an EXCELLENT shop in Edmonton that pulls 40 series parts from Australia. A lot cheaper that Specter Off-Road too.

Be careful when you take the top off - it's really heavy with all that glass and it can be hard to get back on if the rust is bad under it.
I didn't buy it but found a 77 FJ40 for $6000 that has been almost totally restored. Frame, engine and interior are totally redone, the body is really good but needs paint. It's gas (2F) so it's gutless but good enough for a toy. I'm not sure how I'll afforad it but I may end up selling the Taco and buying the LC and a commuter car. Bad timing though as we just bought a new house and haven't sold the old one so money's really tight. ......Steve

#7 ·
Is it beige (or desert dune) with two square fog lights on the front? About 150km north of here?

#9 · (Edited)
No, don't know much about it other than a pic that I saw. It looks like a solid truck and would be an awesome project to finish. Make sure you look under the wheel wells and at the bottom of the rear doors though. If there is bondo in there, it's going to flex/rattle out in a few months and be prepared to replace it with steel.

Pete

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.