: Clutch replacement help

fjcruzer
10-15-2008, 05:27 PM
Sooo. A good friend of mine just had the clutch go out on his 1993 4WD Ford Ranger 4.0L V6. He was driving downtown and had trouble getting it into gear at a traffic light and one block later it was gone. No problems prior to that, so it was kind of sudden.

He had it replaced at Grant's Automotive near Conifer (recommended by a friend of the family.) Now that he has it back, the clutch has little or no resistance until halfway to the floor, then after it's still, as he puts it, "like butter." He's also having trouble getting it into 1st gear now.

Any thoughts from the mechanically inclined?

00regcab
10-15-2008, 07:42 PM
Is it hydro or cable clutch?

If its hydro, bleed the system out twice (as in, run the master cylinder almost dry, and refill, and repeat) to make sure all of the air is out.

If its cable, check to see if its adjust correctly at the transmission.

Chances are its some cheap autozone Chinese clutch with a bunk pressure plate that doesnt have half the resistance of the OE clutch. Which is fine for daily driving and such, but it'll never feel the same unless he gets an OE clutch, or better, put back in it.

ike
10-15-2008, 09:43 PM
Also if it is hydor some of the american vehicles have the slave in the bell housing. Dont know if that is the case on this truck but if it is a leak there will get fluid on the clutch plates causing slippage. A shitty design in my eyes.

fjcruzer
10-15-2008, 09:52 PM
It's a hydro, so I'll pass along the info. He's planning on chatting with the installers in the morning, so this should be helpful. Thank you!