: 2.7....how good are they?

TaWComA26
06-08-2005, 03:56 AM
alrighty so i was wondering...how good do the 2.7 perform on most terrain....i really dont know what kind of terrain but yea i guess most......since all i do is trailblazing...if thats a term...... but yea more like jus dirt with bumps and hills n yea stuff like that......i hav a 2.7 double cab prerunner...i know it sucks ass but yea please dont rub it in........but i was wondering if it has any potential or is it just that bad...hopefully i can get some good feedback...ok till then......

shuwtist
06-08-2005, 09:30 AM
I have my second 2.7 X-cab 4X4 and have absolutely NO complaints. I am running 33 12.5's too, with 5" lift. My previous Tacoma was a stock 99 TRD and same thing, had no complaints, loved the motor. I test drove several V-6's, autos, sticks, etc. It just "felt" like the 2.7 was much more peppier. I can't explain it, but even with the choice to choose, I picked the 2.7 and have not looked back. Good luck.

Hector
06-08-2005, 09:50 AM
I wouldn't sweat it. Unless you are at altitude, running big meaty tires, or towing you should have no problems. Hell i drive fast and tow heavy shit, and love every bit of it. Besides maintenance records are a bit better for the four cylinder. Ive got the 2.7 with a 5-spd and 32 11.5's and wouldnt go bigger(engine) unless i had a bigger truck.

BenBaker40
06-08-2005, 10:03 AM
Same here I got a 03 2.7 and the only time I needed a little more pep was when I went to CO. I live in KS and hauled a 12ft U-Haul trailer packed full to Corpus Christi, TX when I had my 31x11.50 LTBs on and it dogged a little, but the little fella didn't have any quite in him.

Ben

Footpounds
06-08-2005, 10:59 AM
alrighty so i was wondering...how good do the 2.7 perform on most terrain....i really dont know what kind of terrain but yea i guess most......since all i do is trailblazing...if thats a term...... but yea more like jus dirt with bumps and hills n yea stuff like that......i hav a 2.7 double cab prerunner...i know it sucks ass but yea please dont rub it in........but i was wondering if it has any potential or is it just that bad...hopefully i can get some good feedback...ok till then......

What sucks about it? I love my 2.7 Double Cab!

ShowStop
06-08-2005, 11:02 AM
The 2.7s are torquey little engines. Nothing wrong with them at all. Damn reliable too

TaWComA26
06-08-2005, 04:07 PM
Kool....just wanted to say thanks to all of you guys... i didnt know if my motor was good enough....most of the trails i used to do were pretty beginner/moderate.....but i was really planning on swapping my motor....but now all i want to do is make it 4x4...n i guess that would satisfy me pretty well...since thats my new question.....how hard and where would i be able to make it 4x4........o yea did they even make 4x4 2.7 double cabs......

Mez
06-08-2005, 04:13 PM
Search for your answer on how to make yours into a 4x4, there's tons of info on this board in relation to the swap.

NUKE
06-18-2005, 02:28 PM

85,000 supercharged miles and still counting! :)

freeheel720
06-21-2005, 12:52 PM
I love my 2.7l. I have about 250K on it and it runs like a champ, and I live at almost 9,00ft and drive 20miles of washboards every day!

NUKE
06-21-2005, 04:02 PM
I love my 2.7l. I have about 250K on it and it runs like a champ, and I live at almost 9,00ft and drive 20miles of washboards every day!

20 miles a day!!!!!!!! You make me sick!!!! (just kidding) I drive 130 miles round trip every day! Thank God it's all highway! :)

Tacoma Jake
06-24-2005, 02:32 AM
Heres a site that can help start you out with your quest to make your truck a real 4x4. http://www.customtacos.com/tech/index.php?page=index_v2&id=137&c=10

oregonmoss
06-24-2005, 02:43 AM
I like my 2.7 but I get jealous when my friend with a 3.4 just blazes by people when passing. There is definitely more pick-up with the 3.4. I like the 2.7 for many reasons, one being: lifetime timing chain.

NUKE
06-24-2005, 05:03 AM
I like my 2.7 but I get jealous when my friend with a 3.4 just blazes by people when passing. There is definitely more pick-up with the 3.4. I like the 2.7 for many reasons, one being: lifetime timing chain.

How about fuel economy?
Stock, I was getting about 22 mpg highway. With the blower it dropped to about 21 and now, with the SAS and 33's I'm getting around 18.5. From what I've seen here, that's better than most of the V6's out there.

The thing you must understand about the 2.7 is that, even with the blower, it's still a 4 cylinder and must be driven as such. It will never respond like a V8 (or a V6). With a blower it will keep up with the V6 quite easily but it still has the manners of a 4 banger. Also understand that a lot of the V6's are automatic trans (don't know what your friends is). The auto will unlock the converter, shift to the necessary gear, do whatever it has to. Most of the 4 cylinders are stick shift. If you don't downshift, the truck will be..."somewhat disappointing"...on acceleration.

wjfawb0
06-24-2005, 03:21 PM
I test drove a 5 speed 2.7L 4x4 regular cab 2000 model tacoma yesterday. It doesn't quite have the get up and go that my car has :p but it did pretty well. The easy maintenance and capability of the motor seems to be the selling point for me. :D

Mike-in-WV
06-24-2005, 04:51 PM
One of the things that makes a 2.7 seem like it's just not enough power is because the person driving it doesn't know how to get the most from it.
You need to use different gears for different road conditions than you do for a 6 banger. That also includes automatics. It's amazing how many people make comments about not being able to shift an Auto or that autos suck . Guess they do if you only believe they have forward and reverse,Lol. :rolleyes:
A 2.7 will climb a wall if you want it to. There is no lack of power but there is a lack of speed if you feel you need to drive at 110 mph. I can drive mine on our exspressway at 70mph and step on the gas and pass a truck or slower car. What more do you need? Mike

rojodiablo
06-24-2005, 11:53 PM
The 2.7 is the evolution of the 22R.... maybe the BEST 4 cyl. street motor ever. You have to realize the torque is there, you just have toFIND it. Example: the cbr600f1 I used to race made more torque than a HD 80cu. inch motor. It just made it at 10,000 rpm. vs the Harley at 3,300rpm. So when cruising, you are under the optimum torque curve. Throw another acorn under the hood, kick the squirrel harder, and he'll spin that motor right past most things on the road. Also, in a 2wd, the rpm have to be pretty high to get up obstacles and steep hills. Lots more wheelspin, and noise, but it's more fun that way!!! My 2.3 ranger was the same. More power than the ranger2.9v6, but you had to spool it up a lot to get it going. Just change the oil religiously, and GO......

jh3
06-25-2005, 05:34 AM
hey NUKE,is the cost justified on the S/C?

NUKE
06-25-2005, 08:14 PM
hey NUKE,is the cost justified on the S/C?

Hmmm, that might be tough to answer objectively, but I'll try.

I think a lot of people expect V8 results. That ain't gonna happen. If you have 5 spd you still have to shift, you can't lug it around in 5th gear and expect it to have V8 response when you mash the gas. It will climb hills in 5th gear where before you were in 4th. You can comfortably and confidently accelerate into traffic and passing someone is less stressful, to you and the truck! :)

IMO, yes, it's worth the cost. The S/C (or turbo) is the highest cost in terms of hp per dollar but, IMO, gives the best horsepower return per dollar invested.
For instance:
An intake will give you maybe 5 hp, in some cases it will cost you hp for about $150+, or a cost of at least $30 per hp.
A header will give you REALISTICALLY about 10 hp for anywhere from $250 to $450. A dollar to hp figure of about $25-$45 per hp. Add a complete exhaust, gain maybe 3-5 hp more for $50-$300 and the cost is now $25-$50.

A supercharger running at 5 psi should give you a solid 50 hp with no other mods. I paid $2550 so the cost per hp is about $51 per hp. About the same cost per hp as a header and exhaust but over 3 times the power.

The response is much better and the driveability is greatly improved. Fuel economy is affected very little since you can now operate most of the time in 5th gear with only part throttle instead of 4th gear with your foot in the crankcase.

It's been a long day, did any of this make sense???

nilson
06-25-2005, 10:16 PM
I'll just say that I love my 2.7L engine and I'm proud to own it. It has plenty of torque and low-end power, not a bad # of horsepower either. The only "bad" thing about it is its top speed really. It really doesnt like to run much over 85-90m though it will. Who cares about top speed anyway though, we're offroaders. We want that good bottom end.

1bumpintaco
12-13-2006, 04:59 AM
i have an extra cab 2.7 4 by drive 5 speed and it will shit and git for a 4 banger. i know a lot of you guys frown on this kinda stuff but i like to race around town and stuff and do it quite often. i have never been out run by another 4 cylinder truck. hardly ever am i out run by v6 trucks and and i have out run a few v8s. like the 5.0 ford and i even out run a 4.8 liter 2wd chevy once. thats sayin something considerin motor size for me and i have 32 11.50's . that is one peppy little 4 cylinder. i raced a 3.4 toyota tacoma with 33's and a five speed and we ran side by side. i am really happy with my truck and push to improve it all the time. i ran a 14.4 in the 1000 ft racing a 5.3 chevy with 35's and a couple mods and he didnt catch me till half track after takin him off the line

Footpounds
12-13-2006, 11:00 AM
i have an extra cab 2.7 4 by drive 5 speed and it will shit and git for a 4 banger. i know a lot of you guys frown on this kinda stuff but i like to race around town and stuff and do it quite often. i have never been out run by another 4 cylinder truck. hardly ever am i out run by v6 trucks and and i have out run a few v8s. like the 5.0 ford and i even out run a 4.8 liter 2wd chevy once. thats sayin something considerin motor size for me and i have 32 11.50's . that is one peppy little 4 cylinder. i raced a 3.4 toyota tacoma with 33's and a five speed and we ran side by side. i am really happy with my truck and push to improve it all the time. i ran a 14.4 in the 1000 ft racing a 5.3 chevy with 35's and a couple mods and he didnt catch me till half track after takin him off the line

I'm glad you're in Arkansas so I don't have to worry about my wife or daughter getting hit by you or your racing buddies. Hopefully by the time you get out of junior high you will have outgrown this nonsense.

partyman66
12-13-2006, 12:08 PM
i have an extra cab 2.7 4 by drive 5 speed and it will shit and git for a 4 banger. i know a lot of you guys frown on this kinda stuff but i like to race around town and stuff and do it quite often. i have never been out run by another 4 cylinder truck. hardly ever am i out run by v6 trucks and and i have out run a few v8s. like the 5.0 ford and i even out run a 4.8 liter 2wd chevy once. thats sayin something considerin motor size for me and i have 32 11.50's . that is one peppy little 4 cylinder.

I don't see how your truck could be beating most V6's and some V8 Trucks with those tires on it unless you regeared the thing way way WAY down low. Solely for the purposes of relative comparison.... My truck is a 2001 5-speed 3RZ Single Cab with 65K miles on it, has smaller tires than yours and I saw that yours is an Extended Cab too. That means you're lugging 145 pounds of extra weight just from the X-Cab in your truck plus bigger diameter and wider/heavier tires on top of that, and mine doesn't beat much of anything in a speed race. I wouldn't even bother trying to race anyone with the thing anymore because I'm not going to win and there's no point in even engaging in races... particularly since the truck won't stop anywhere near as quickly as a sports car or handle avoidance maneuvers efficiently.

I love the 3RZ. It's a great motor with plenty of torque for a 4-Cylinder and typical around town driving and light towing, but make no mistakes about it... when you slap it in a 4x4 Tacoma... especially with anything bigger than a single cab and paired with big tires, it's not going to be a fast or even quick truck.

1bumpintaco
12-13-2006, 12:56 PM
the only things i have done to it was a K&n intake, magnaflow exhaust, throttle bady spacer, and electric fan. and as far as who i have raced im tellin the truth. i love the way it will get up and go for a 4 banger. i raced an s10 with 4.3 liter and it was 2wd and i ran side by side with him even at high speed. now ill tell you right now once you hit that 95-100 mph mark its pretty well over. it wont hit 108 and shut off unless you have a little tiny down hill advantage.

padesertboy
12-13-2006, 01:05 PM
ah.....search.

They are one of the best, if not the best, longlife engines that
toyota makes-period. Atleast here in the states anyway..

lVlr_87
12-13-2006, 01:09 PM
the only things i have done to it was a K&n intake, magnaflow exhaust, throttle bady spacer, and electric fan. and as far as who i have raced im tellin the truth. i love the way it will get up and go for a 4 banger. i raced an s10 with 4.3 liter and it was 2wd and i ran side by side with him even at high speed. now ill tell you right now once you hit that 95-100 mph mark its pretty well over. it wont hit 108 and shut off unless you have a little tiny down hill advantage.

There is NO WAY you stayed even CLOSE to an S-10 with the 4.3 unless that person was NOT trying to race you and you thought they were. And as for staying with a V-8 anything.....ROFLMAO!!!!!!!!!!!

1bumpintaco
12-13-2006, 01:30 PM
I am not lying to you guys. Both the 4.3 liter S10 and the 5.0 are my good friends and they are both automatic transmissions. s10 is 2wd and the f150 is a 4x4 the s10 is about a 99 and the f150 is about a 95. the 5.0 was hardly competition for me i mean it only has maybe a lil more power than mine on a good day and the s10 and i started at about 60 mph and went to 100 niether of us gaining or loseing one another. and as far as the track times that is true also. i dont know if anyone else races the 1000ft or not though. unless there was something else done to the truck before i got it that i dont know about but i seriously doubt it. it still had original tires. it has 65k on it right now
i dont know what else to say if yall wont believe me
i guess my truck was made on a tuesday or thursday or something you know,

markII
12-14-2006, 01:29 PM
I still wish I had my '91 22RE xtra cab. I have 3.4V6 2003 prerunner 4door, my brother has '03 2.7 extra cab prerunner (both 4x2). I get 19 MPG all over, he gets 20-21 MPG all over. So MPG is pretty minor difference. I have a bit more power and little better tow and ability to go up grades easier. The 3.4 is still pretty weak, its not like I have twice the power or anything. For just cruising around and commuting, I kind of wish I had the 2.7 now. And the new trucks dont look as good as the '03-'04 body style to me, so I'm keeping mine until the next body style comes out and I will look at the 2.7 and 4.0 V6 trucks cab at that time...

PS 1bumpintaco I didnt know F150 were made with 5.0, I have only heard of 4.6 and 5.4L. a 4x4 F150 goes through the air about as well as a large brick, so its not suprising a mini truck like S10 with good running v6 could keep up. a 4cyl toyota truck isnt going to keep up, I have driven all the above vehicles, it just isnt going to happen.

partyman66
12-14-2006, 04:16 PM
I was just looking at the specs on the newest generation Tacomas. Those bastards are heavy as hell compared to the older trucks. They must be much slower when equipped with the modern 3RZFE engine.

My truck, for example... is a 2001 3RZFE powered 5-speed single cab 4x4 and weighs 3215 lbs in stock form. The same truck in a 2007 model weighs 3550. That's a huge freakin difference of 335 pounds considering that the power of the modern 3RZ engine only went up by 9 HP and 3 LB of Torque.

Take a look at the Extended Cab 4 Cylinder truck and it's even worse. 2001 Ex-Cab 4x4 5-speed 4 cylinder truck weighs 3360, while the same truck in 2007 weighs 3870... for a difference of 510 pounds. Comparibly speaking... that, is unbelievably heavy.

It's even crazier to think that almost the same engine which powers the 3035 pound 2000-2003 year Single Cab Auto-Tranny Prerunner trucks is being used to power a 2007 4x4 5-speed Extended cab truck that outweighs it by 835 pounds.

ainokea
12-14-2006, 07:05 PM
i've got a regular cab 2.7 and i think the only thing i wish it was equiped with was the factory electric locker (like mr. nuke's truck). rare? yes. non-existent? no.

i'm running 265 on stock 4.30's, and it's a great, you'll get no complaints from me.

NUKE
12-14-2006, 10:23 PM
i've got a regular cab 2.7 and i think the only thing i wish it was equiped with was the factory electric locker (like mr. nuke's truck). rare? yes. non-existent? no.

i'm running 265 on stock 4.30's, and it's a great, you'll get no complaints from me.

Gratuitous gloating. :D

tacomaman87
12-14-2006, 10:47 PM
Theres no way in hell you raced those vehicles and beat them. Give me a break, post that story in custom taco's if you want somebody to believe that B.S. My 2.7 has been great to me. Not a single problem at almost 80,000 other than the CEL because i got mud in the MAF sensor. But i run it pretty hard and it takes it. For a 4banger, it gets up and goes for pushing 33x12.5's with 4:10 gears. But it definitley is no race truck, and wasnt when it was stock either. Very pleased overall.

ainokea
12-15-2006, 11:26 AM
Gratuitous gloating. :D

dude, way too much of a good thing is still a good thing. i remember reading in awe about your "new" truck that was stock, supercharged, and locked. do you think that if i start making and selling quick discos, the locker button would magically appear on the left side of my stearing column?

NUKE
12-15-2006, 01:03 PM
dude, way too much of a good thing is still a good thing. i remember reading in awe about your "new" truck that was stock, supercharged, and locked.

Well, let me say this...
I got a good price on the truck when I bought it but it's arguable whether I got a good deal. :confused: It took 3 months of searching for a dealer who would order the combo, countless e-mails and phone calls to Toyota Corporate, etc., etc. I still have the electronic paper trail, I think half of corporate headquarters was involved! LOL

do you think that if i start making and selling quick discos, the locker button would magically appear on the left side of my stearing column?

Hey, you never know! :rolleyes:
I hold a patent but I'm willing to contract the rights to make and sell them for a small royalty. :D

partyman66
12-15-2006, 03:13 PM
Sweet.... Regular Cab Non-TRD with a Factory Locker. I wish my truck had that... although I'm happy with my 4.10 gears for the time being because of couple less highway RPM's.

1bumpintaco
12-16-2006, 10:41 AM
well the 5.0 ford is probably one of the most used of their engines of all time. Ever seen the 5.0 mustang. well the mustang had a high output version of the 5.0 but the one that they put in the truck wasnt high output.THE 5.0 IS THE 302. Used since the dawn of time. and they only have about 190 hp stock so why wouldnt i smoke a truck like that. i said it was a 1995 thats why it dont have those newer engines. and the 2wd s10 that i raced was an automatic with thires oversized about an inch. and yes i believe when someone is running right at 100 right beside you they do know that you are racing them.

tderose
12-16-2006, 11:26 AM
NUKE, I'm extremely Jealous of your truck! Beside IFS, you have the most desireable 4x4 combo IMO. A short wheelbase reg cab, 2.7L, with factory e-locker!!! Lighter, better break over angle, plenty of power, 4.10's, and now with the needed traction! Why didn't Toyota make a 4x4, a true 4x4 like yours??? I still shake my head at why they did some of things they did! The fact that you can only get a TRD package with an extended cab is ridiculous! I didn't want the extra foot and 200lbs on a 4x4...! Instead, I get a reg cab 4x4 with open diffs, IFS, and 3.91's??? Not a true 4x4! Again, what the hell were they, and I thinking??? That's the only way I would ever buy another Tacoma. If I'm the one that can customize the rig from the factory...let's see, e-locker, solid front leaf spring axle, reg cab, V6, 4.56's gears, 5 sp manual. Now that's a winner right out of the box!

tacomaman87
12-16-2006, 11:26 AM
well the 5.0 ford is probably one of the most used of their engines of all time. Ever seen the 5.0 mustang. well the mustang had a high output version of the 5.0 but the one that they put in the truck wasnt high output.THE 5.0 IS THE 302. Used since the dawn of time. and they only have about 190 hp stock so why wouldnt i smoke a truck like that. i said it was a 1995 thats why it dont have those newer engines. and the 2wd s10 that i raced was an automatic with thires oversized about an inch. and yes i believe when someone is running right at 100 right beside you they do know that you are racing them.

I call BULL FU%^ING SH!T!! What an :asshat: Your correct about the F150 having the 5.0 in a 95 or older. But there is no way you beat the trucks u stated. There is no replacement for displacement. A stock V8 f150 is going to beat your stock I4 Tacoma...unless it might be supercharged or turboed. What are you trying to prove here? The tacomas are great trucks, but trying to convince everyone that it can beat other trucks with BIGGER motors in a race is pointless. No one cares...if they wanted something fast they would buy a car.

NUKE
12-16-2006, 02:51 PM
NUKE, I'm extremely Jealous of your truck! Beside IFS, you have the most desireable 4x4 combo IMO. A short wheelbase reg cab, 2.7L, with factory e-locker!!! Lighter, better break over angle, plenty of power, 4.10's, and now with the needed traction!

Thanks. I appreciate the compliment. All the reasons you gave is why I ordered the truck the way I did. Just one thing tho, e-locker equipped trucks were equipped with 4.30 gears, not 4.10's...at least in 2002.

Why didn't Toyota make a 4x4, a true 4x4 like yours???

Well, actually, they did. There's nothing "special" about my truck. It wasn't a special order. From at least 1998 until 2002 the e-locker was available as a separate option for $340. People just had to read the sales brochures and be willing to fight (and wait) for what they want. It took 3 months to get my truck. Every dealership said I couldn't get this combo. One dealership even REFUSED to order the truck and then DARED me to find someone who would!!! In retrospect, I shoulda' taken the bet!!! LOL Attached is a recollection my of experience for anyone interested in reading it.

I still shake my head at why they did some of things they did! The fact that you can only get a TRD package with an extended cab is ridiculous! I didn't want the extra foot and 200lbs on a 4x4...! Instead, I get a reg cab 4x4 with open diffs, IFS, and 3.91's??? Not a true 4x4!

Well, we won't go into my thoughts and opinions of the TRD package...at least not here. Talk about "not a true 4x4"!!!
I gotta disagree with you on your second comment tho'. I had a 98 Tacoma (RIP) and, except for 4.10 gears, it's exactly as you described. I added a lift, 33" tires and the supercharger. It served me well and I went a lot of places with it. I drove it from New York to Moab, spent the weekend on the trails and drove it back, 4500 miles round trip. In stock trim the Tacoma is a very capable rig. You can make it better but it's a very good platform to start with.

Again, what the hell were they, and I thinking???

Can't answer that. I'm sure some will say the IFS offers a lower ride height and a smoother ride. Tell me then...why did Jeep stick with it for so many years in their Cherokee and Wagoneer (XJ & ZJ lines) lines??? My son's g/f has a 2000 Cherokee (SFA) and has never complained about the ride height or ride quality. I've ridden in it and I can say it's as smooth as any stock Tacoma!
I can only assume that it's consumer ingorance. Just like 4WD vs AWD. There's NO DIFFERENCE in the way these work!!!

That's the only way I would ever buy another Tacoma.

Be honest...no it's not. :D

If I'm the one that can customize the rig from the factory...let's see, e-locker, solid front leaf spring axle, reg cab, V6, 4.56's gears, 5 sp manual. Now that's a winner right out of the box!

Agreed! Although I'd probably go with coils up front. But, until you and I are making the decisions at Toyota we'll have to be satisfied with what the so-called demographic "experts" say we want.

NUKE
12-16-2006, 03:02 PM
Oops, forgot to add the attachment. :doh:

partyman66
12-16-2006, 03:30 PM

You are completely negating the presence and importance of the 5.0 V8's 100 LB more of torque advantage over our engine.... just talking about horsepower doesn't tell much of a tale when comparing 2 vehicles, especially when comparing vehicles that weigh more than 3200 pounds each(not lightweight like an S2000, or Civic or 240SX for example). Specs on that 5.0 V8 are 275 LB of torque and 185-205 HP depending on the year. That's a lot of low end grunt to be putting down compared to our I4 engines and neither engine has a high redline or tendancy towards fluency at higher RPM's.

12-16-2006, 03:54 PM
A 302 would have to have a lot of miles on it before it was spanked by a 2.7 :D

tderose
12-16-2006, 05:38 PM
Agreed! Although I'd probably go with coils up front. But, until you and I are making the decisions at Toyota we'll have to be satisfied with what the so-called demographic "experts" say we want.

Thanks for the awesome response! Makes me feel a little better about this truck I guess! I just wish the "experts" would understand that the demographic who purchases 4x4's uses them for that reason. Who actually purchases a 4x4 pickup to drive around town and feel better if you hit a pothole? That's what this whole IFS thing is all about, comfort, and the transfer of motion...not purpose. SUV owners started this whole thing with 4x4 becoming a safety issue in bad weather and what not, and who is the fastest growing purchaser of SUV's right now? Women! The fact that I would NOT purchase another Tacoma is a fact; however, I would purchase a 4x4 Pickup only if were between the years of 79-85 with the straight axle and 22R engine!!! You gotta admit, besides the old FJ 40, the pickup between the years of 79-85 is by far the best wheeler Toyota ever made!!! :)

1bumpintaco
12-16-2006, 07:22 PM
aight i am done trying to convince you people of what i did with my truck. All i did was come on here and tell my experiences of what has happened and i didnt lie once. I guess you guys dont have near enough experience with other vehicles to know what the hell i am tlkin about. If anyone has ever drove that year model of F150 you would know that my truck would beat it. i have raced 3 of them matter of fact and beat them all. Evidently i must can out drive the hell out of you people that are downing me or my truck is just that much better, who knows, but i am tired of justifying it. i dont care i you do believe me or not. Facts are facts.anyone wanna line up just bring it on.

Wheelin taco2131
12-16-2006, 07:38 PM
i think you will be ok with the engine. I used to work at a toyota dealership and was a car runner. I saw those engines come in with 400,000K on them...thats sayin something. Now, you said its a prerunneR? I dont think you will have a problem with that either. A lot of the time i wheel in 2wd. I typically dont use 4wd unless i see some tough stuff im about to go through. I kinda came up with a quote that has become popular with some of my friends who have 2wd. "The perfect counter for 2wd is a good winch." People down here only use 4wd when they get stuck. You just need a good winch and you will be fine.

partyman66
12-17-2006, 12:33 AM
Evidently i must can out drive the hell out of you people that are downing me or my truck is just that much better, who knows, but i am tired of justifying it. i dont care i you do believe me or not. Facts are facts.anyone wanna line up just bring it on.

You didn't post any facts. You posted hearsay about yourself supposedly beating trucks that we all know are faster than yours.

You said you wanted some facts brought on.... well here are those facts:

Link To Facts on 1999 Toyota Tacoma X-Cab Prerunner Performance Tests
http://www.theautochannel.com/vehicles/new/reviews/1999/russ9841.html

Link To Facts on 1999 Chevrolet S-10 with 4.3 Liter Engine and Automatic Transmission Performance Tests
http://www.theautochannel.com/vehicles/new/reviews/1999/russ9927.html

2001 2.7 Liter 5 Speed 4x4 EX-Cab SR5 Tacoma
Weight: 3360
HP: 150
TQ: 177
0-60 Time: In Question
1/4 Mile Time: In Question
NickName: Your Truck

1999 Chevy S10 2WD With Automatic Transmission
Weight: 3216
HP: 180
TQ: 240
0-60 Time: 7.9
1/4 Mile Time: 16.0
NickName: Exact S10 That You Raced

1999 Toyota Tacoma V6 EX-Cab Prerunner
Weight: 3280
HP: 190
TQ: 220
0-60 Time: 8.0
1/4 Mile Time: 16.1
NickName: Toyotas Fastest High Suspension 2nd/3rd Gen Tacoma

Let's compare the FACTS.

Your truck is both 80 pounds heavier than the above tested Tacoma Prerunner V6, and has 40 less HP and 43 less torque.... Your truck is a ton slower than that Tacoma V6 that they tested. This is not a question.. it's a fact..... the 2 trucks aren't even comparable in terms of speed.

The Tacoma V6 Prerunner that they tested in 1999 is slightly slower than the the 4.3 Liter-Powered S10 that they also tested in 1999.. both tests were performed by the same person(Carey Russ).

Final Results(Speed): S10 > Prerunner V6 Taco > Your Tacoma

tderose
12-17-2006, 09:14 AM
Don't mess with Al Bundy, he'll let you have it!!!

Mossyrocks
12-17-2006, 09:39 AM
just to clear it up, the ford 5.0 is actually a 4.6. Regardless, it will outrun the 2.7. And I used to drive a 4.3 s10 for work and trust me, your full of shit. But the s10 was the most worthless truck Ive ever sat in, everything about it pissed me off.

tacomaman87
12-17-2006, 11:38 AM
Haha, amen Al Bundy! I love when people make complete a$$'s out of themselves and can't back anything they say. Thank you for the FACTS!

chris_dishmon
12-17-2006, 12:45 PM
But the s10 was the most worthless truck Ive ever sat in, everything about it pissed me off.

:rofl:

1bumpintaco
12-17-2006, 03:32 PM
well the s10 was an extended cab with tired mildly oversized and yes i know overall its probably a faster truck. but im also sayin that the guy driving it and i both floored it at 60 and went all the way to 100 wiith him not leaving me and me not leaving him. but as far as the 5.0 i know i am faster. i have raced several of them all of them regualr cab. My truck is faster i promise. maybe if it had a 5 speed it could beat me. but those things are slow. and yes i know the stats on those vehicles and yes i would think the same thing that you guys are sayin untill i actually done it. and i said i ran a 14.4 in the thousand ft. thats a fact. i watched a 2003 dodge ram extended cab run 14.5's all night and it had the smaller v8.4.7. and i tld you my truck wasnt stock. but it sure aint blown or turboed

tderose
12-17-2006, 03:39 PM
dude, stop while you're ahead...no 2.7L will ever outrun a Chevy 4.3L. Hold on about the Ford 5.0L!!!! They probably don't use these much in Arkansas, but in North Carolina, they use the older Ford Mustang 5.0L as chase cars! What are you smoking?

tacomaman87
12-18-2006, 12:56 AM
well the s10 was an extended cab with tired mildly oversized and yes i know overall its probably a faster truck. but im also sayin that the guy driving it and i both floored it at 60 and went all the way to 100 wiith him not leaving me and me not leaving him. but as far as the 5.0 i know i am faster. i have raced several of them all of them regualr cab. My truck is faster i promise. maybe if it had a 5 speed it could beat me. but those things are slow. and yes i know the stats on those vehicles and yes i would think the same thing that you guys are sayin untill i actually done it. and i said i ran a 14.4 in the thousand ft. thats a fact. i watched a 2003 dodge ram extended cab run 14.5's all night and it had the smaller v8.4.7. and i tld you my truck wasnt stock. but it sure aint blown or turboed

give it up...nobody believes you...nor will they ever. And we now know not to believe any of your posts, haha...

12-18-2006, 01:38 AM

The only thing you've ever beat is your meat.

If you believe this to be fact then you need to watch "A Beautifull Mind" and then schedule an appoitment with a shrink. The shrink will tell you to take some red pills. Don't ever forget to take the pills.

tacomaman87
12-18-2006, 01:46 AM
The only thing you've ever beat is your meat.

If you believe this to be fact then you need to watch "A Beautifull Mind" and then schedule an appoitment with a shrink. The shrink will tell you to take some red pills. Don't ever forget to take the pills.

:clap: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :lmao: :xrocker:

Footpounds
12-18-2006, 04:08 PM
My truck is faster i promise.

Come on guys, back off. His truck wins races.......he promised. :rolleyes:

ainokea
12-18-2006, 08:40 PM
Oops, forgot to add the attachment. :doh:
guess i gotta look on the brighter side. even though i don't have a locker, my truck did come with 4.30's... which aint too bad. any idea if this is a common gear ratio? don't hear of it too often.

seems like this post has morphed into two seperate conversations... i think i'll stick with the "i wish i had a locker post", and not get involved with the other one.

NUKE
12-19-2006, 01:28 AM
guess i gotta look on the brighter side. even though i don't have a locker, my truck did come with 4.30's... which aint too bad. any idea if this is a common gear ratio? don't hear of it too often.

The 4.30's only came in trucks with lockers. If you don't have the locker then you probably have 3.91's although, by some fluke, you might have 4.56's (don't count on it). To be absolutely certain take your VIN to the dealer and have them check. It takes about 30 seconds and you'll know for sure.

partyman66
12-19-2006, 01:33 AM
The 4.30's only came in trucks with lockers. If you don't have the locker then you probably have 3.91's although, by some fluke, you might have 4.56's (don't count on it). To be absolutely certain take your VIN to the dealer and have them check. It takes about 30 seconds and you'll know for sure.

You should also be able to find your gear code on the door jamb sticker. Look for it on your door jamb and find out what it means by cross-referencing it here:

http://www.tacomaterritory.com/wiki/index.php/Gear_Codes

NUKE
12-19-2006, 01:36 AM
You should also be able to find your gear code on the door jamb sticker. Look for it on your door jamb and find out what it means by cross-referencing it here:

http://www.tacomaterritory.com/wiki/index.php/Gear_Codes

Those codes are questionable. The only totally reliable means is to go to the dealer and have them check the VIN.

ainokea
12-19-2006, 11:04 AM
ainokea sighs as nuke rains on his parade....

that gear code doc. is where i got my gear code.

ainokea
12-19-2006, 11:17 AM
i'm gonna do the turn the tire and count the drive shaft revolutions trick to get a rough guestimate.

ljschnel
12-19-2006, 11:20 AM
I've got 4.30's in a Non-TRD.

blakjak
12-19-2006, 01:08 PM

Funny. I've had my VIN checked and I've got 4.30's with no locker in a non-TRD.

BTW-here's the FSM for an 03 Taco and it lists 4.30's under a 3rz-fe/sr5 package/w the P265/70R16 tires, which mine came with. Looks like 4.56's came with the autos on the sr5 package. With an auto and a 2.7 3.91's weren't even offered. It was either 4.10's or 4.56's.

(unless I'm reading this whole thing all wrong)

http://www.deserted1.com/FSM/New_Features_Manual/taco2/appendix.pdf

NUKE
12-19-2006, 02:29 PM
Funny. I've had my VIN checked and I've got 4.30's with no locker in a non-TRD.

BTW-here's the FSM for an 03 Taco and it lists 4.30's under a 3rz-fe/sr5 package/w the P265/70R16 tires, which mine came with. Looks like 4.56's came with the autos on the sr5 package. With an auto and a 2.7 3.91's weren't even offered. It was either 4.10's or 4.56's.

(unless I'm reading this whole thing all wrong)

http://www.deserted1.com/FSM/New_Features_Manual/taco2/appendix.pdf

JEEZUS! That thing reads like stereo instructions!!! :)
I stand corrected, the 4.30's came on any truck equipped with 265/70-16 tires (I knew there was some restriction). I also checked the paper I got from the dealer and it agrees with your info. I shoulda' checked that first before I spoke.
Evidently, from yours and my information, if the 14 digit axle code begins with RZN161L AND is equipped with 265/70-16 tires AND it has a 5 spd trans it is equipped with 4.30 gears.
If it's an auto trans AND is equipped with 265/70-16 tires then the truck has 4.56 gears.

Is this how you're reading it, too?

My apologies for the mis-information. I've been on night shift and I'm more brain dead than usual.

NUKE
12-19-2006, 02:32 PM
i'm gonna do the turn the tire and count the drive shaft revolutions trick to get a rough guestimate.

I gave you bad info dude, I'm sorry.

Did you say you have an auto trans? If you were/are equipped with 265/70-16 tires it appears that you might, after all, have 4.56 gears.

ainokea
12-19-2006, 02:35 PM
JEEZUS! That thing reads like stereo instructions!!! :)
I stand corrected, the 4.30's came on any truck equipped with 265/70-16 tires (I knew there was some restriction). I also checked the paper I got from the dealer and it agrees with your info. I shoulda' checked that first before I spoke.
Evidently, from yours and my information, if the 14 digit axle code begins with RZN161L AND is equipped with 265/70-16 tires AND it has a 5 spd trans it is equipped with 4.30 gears.
If it's an auto trans AND is equipped with 265/70-16 tires then the truck has 4.56 gears.

Is this how you're reading it, too?

My apologies for the mis-information. I've been on night shift and I'm more brain dead than usual.

and if you bought your truck on a wednesday, you get one extra "nubby" on the bottom of your floormat :D

seriously though, i got a gear chart in the faq section (i think)... it was a while back and i copied and pasted on a word document... what i have is as follows:

The axle code for your rig can be found on the manufacture's sticker located on the driver's side door jamb as follows:

First digit:
A = 7.5" ring gear
B = 8" ring gear
Next two digits:
01 = 3:42
02 = 3:58
03 = 4:10
04 = 4:56
05 = 3:15
06 = 3:91
07 = 4.30
Last digit:
A = 2 Pinion, Open
B = 4 Pinion, Open
C = 2 Pinion OEM Limited Slip
some '98-00 models have shown a BO code of "???" on the door plate; so far this turns out to be a 3.91 gear ratio.
Edit by Ed Quinones on 10-7-05: I used to own a 99 Prerunner ext cab 2.7L with auto tranny and gear code of B07A. It came from the factory with a 4.56 gear ratio.

NUKE
12-19-2006, 02:49 PM
and if you bought your truck on a wednesday, you get one extra "nubby" on the bottom of your floormat :D

seriously though, i got a gear chart in the faq section (i think)... it was a while back and i copied and pasted on a word document... what i have is as follows:

The axle code for your rig can be found on the manufacture's sticker located on the driver's side door jamb as follows:

First digit:
A = 7.5" ring gear
B = 8" ring gear
Next two digits:
01 = 3:42
02 = 3:58
03 = 4:10
04 = 4:56
05 = 3:15
06 = 3:91
07 = 4.30
Last digit:
A = 2 Pinion, Open
B = 4 Pinion, Open
C = 2 Pinion OEM Limited Slip
some '98-00 models have shown a BO code of "???" on the door plate; so far this turns out to be a 3.91 gear ratio.
Edit by Ed Quinones on 10-7-05: I used to own a 99 Prerunner ext cab 2.7L with auto tranny and gear code of B07A. It came from the factory with a 4.56 gear ratio.

That chart is, at best, questionable. See the last note by Ed Quinones.
Beginning around 2001 or 2002 it seems that B07A became some "generic" code for everything. Prerunners, 4wd, stick, auto......it didn't matter. It seemed that everyone had the B07A code! And, if you go by this chart, there isn't even a code for the locker! The locker is 4 pinion, but not open (obviously) and it's not considered limited slip.

It seems that blakjak has come up with the best info so far, short of going to the dealer and running the VIN.

tderose
12-19-2006, 05:44 PM
What if your diff code says - ? Mine has a ? where the code should be. Does that mean they have no clue what is in there? Heck I could have 5.29's!!!

NUKE
12-19-2006, 06:07 PM
Does that mean they have no clue what is in there?

Probably. Check your VIN at the dealer.