: differential fluid...

4Runner_Girl
10-16-2008, 11:42 PM
Ok so i know very little about fixing things on cars or taking them apart..i wanna learn but i dont wanna mess anything up becuase i drive my car daily...

the differential fluid needs to be changed hard core...i could take it some where but it would cost around $200...

I am coming to S HOW this saturday if someone could show me/ help me with it if they can also recommend a good fluid for my 4Runner by tomorrow after noon so i can buy some....

That would be totally awesome....

Thanks
~Sam~

fjcruzer
10-16-2008, 11:52 PM
I'm guessing yours won't be too different from mine, but if you look in the back of the owner's manual it should tell you specifically something like this:

TRANSFER (part−time four wheel drive
models)
Oil capacity, L (qt., Imp. qt.):
1.0 (1.1, 0.9)
Oil type:
Hypoid gear oil API GL−3
Recommended oil viscosity:
SAE 75W−90

4Runner_Girl
10-16-2008, 11:54 PM
I'm guessing yours won't be too different from mine, but if you look in the back of the owner's manual it should tell you specifically something like this:

TRANSFER (part−time four wheel drive
models)
Oil capacity, L (qt., Imp. qt.):
1.0 (1.1, 0.9)
Oil type:
Hypoid gear oil API GL−3
Recommended oil viscosity:
SAE 75W−90

lol ok i will look lol...and see...for sure...

fjcruzer
10-17-2008, 12:02 AM
Np! :)

4Runner_Girl
10-17-2008, 12:07 AM
Np! :)

i assume that you wouldnt do anything but what the books says?

fjcruzer
10-17-2008, 12:18 AM
You could, but I never have and I think I've put about 350,000 miles on my various Yotas and have never had a transmission or differential fail. The few mechanics that I really rust have agreed that the factory stuff is best, especially in the newer transmissions and differentials. That said, many folks swear by stuff like Royal Purple...

94runner
10-17-2008, 12:21 AM
grab 3 quarts per diff (i like to overfill my diffs and have extra for later). i usually use valvoline 80-90w, but 85-140w is also fine.

basically, all you do is pull the fill plug out. then pull the drain plug. let the oil drian. put the drain plug back in. fill the diff up until oil comes out the fill plug. put the fill plug back in.

edit: (royal purple is synthetic, and wont work with regular gear oil). and the diff takes a little over 2 quarts.

00regcab
10-17-2008, 01:51 AM
Just filled my diff, it held a little over two quarts before it started dripping out of the fill hole.

I ran 75-90 previously, and wasnt happy with how hot things got. Talked to my mechanic and a few other people, and i just switched up to Valvoline full Synthetic 75-140. Its quite pricey @ 16.99 a quart, but it should help greatly with heat.

I dont think you'll have to worry too much about that though, as your gears shouldnt be over working themselves like mine are (geared too low, for too short of a tire).

And royal purple is the shit! Its all i ran in the tranny in my car, and its amazing the difference it made from conventional oil. You probably wont be able to tell too much of a difference using a synthetic oil in the diff, but it never hurts.

SP!N4L T4P
10-17-2008, 03:48 AM
...i could take it some where but it would cost around $200...

thats true, and something that has confused me. anyone know why it costs $80 per diff for an oil change while it only costs about $25 for an engine oil change? i mean, all they have to do is take out two plugs and pump in some fluid...changing the engine oil is more time consuming and even has to charge for a filter.

RedRunnertc
10-17-2008, 08:06 AM
Was the $200 for a full 4WD service? (Meaning changing the tranny, tcase, both diffs, etc)

This is a perfect job for HOW-S!

Oh, and the reason you take the fill plug off first is in case you have trouble with it, you haven't drained all the fluid out!

4Runner_Girl
10-17-2008, 12:26 PM
Was the $200 for a full 4WD service? (Meaning changing the tranny, tcase, both diffs, etc)

This is a perfect job for HOW-S!

Oh, and the reason you take the fill plug off first is in case you have trouble with it, you haven't drained all the fluid out!

yes i believe that it was a 4wd service...the guy said he would give me a discount but i still think its too much for me lol i am a poor college student lol...and i can read anything about how to do it but it works better if someone is there and shows my...yeah and i probably should do the transfer case too...

along with making sure everything is ready for winter...so pretty much a 4WD service thing...mostly though transfer case and differential....and maybe repalcing the bushings on my squeaky cluch...maybe if i can find my pieces

RedRunnertc
10-17-2008, 03:43 PM
Tcase and diffs can take the same gear oil. You'll need something like 10 quarts to do the front and rear diffs and the tcase.

ike
10-17-2008, 03:46 PM
thefatkid reccomends 80-90. I guess they have alot of issues with the 74-90 for some reason. Maybe he will chime in.

RedRunnertc
10-17-2008, 03:48 PM
Will have to remember that ... I had quite a time finding 75W90 this last time. Lots of 80W90 and 80W140 though.

ike
10-17-2008, 03:55 PM
I guess that little change in viscosity is actually quite noticable and they get alot more leakage problems from the 75-90 if i remember our conversation right.

4Runner_Girl
10-18-2008, 12:03 AM
Will have to remember that ... I had quite a time finding 75W90 this last time. Lots of 80W90 and 80W140 though.

well my manual says 75w90 synthetic is what to use i bought it today...with some gear oil...is that ok? or should i exchange it?

4Runner_Girl
10-18-2008, 12:11 AM

well i got so tcase oil which was recommened from the manual and from the internet...along with the diff oil....

ike
10-18-2008, 07:37 AM
You will be fine.

RedRunnertc
10-18-2008, 09:53 AM
You will be fine.

x2

thefatkid
10-18-2008, 11:59 AM
Per the FSM on your (2000ish) 4runner you front Differential and Transfercase take GL5 75-90wt. Your rear differential takes GL5 80-90wt. I have seen issues with axle seal leakage in the rearend when using 75-90wt. I think the old/used seals don't like the change in oil weight.

If you doing the differentials and t-case you might as well do a transmission drain and fill. About 6 quarts of Dexron III if you remove the pan, about 4 if you pull the plug only. This is also a good time of year to make sure your (prone to leak) water pump and cooling system is up to par. A drain and refill with toyota red coolant (1 gallon, 1 gallon of water distilled perfered) would be good also.

RedRunnertc
10-18-2008, 10:54 PM
It's actually a manual transmission, Brian!

Holy shnikes that had to be the hardest diff fluid change EVER!

ike
10-18-2008, 11:04 PM
Y? What happened?

Quick Draw
10-18-2008, 11:44 PM
Well somebody...(Grandpa Doug :D) didn't take the advice to open the fill plug first... And sure enough, after all the fluid was out, that damn fill plug would not pop loose. Ended up having to weld a breaker bar to it, after they rounded the bolt.

ike
10-18-2008, 11:58 PM
Nice, I will have to be sure to harrass him about this next time i see him.

thefatkid
10-19-2008, 12:48 AM
Yea, I have a giant "turbo" socket just for that. It's pretty common that those are rounded. The jiffy lube type places pull he fill plug every oil change (fishing for upsells) and over torque the crap out of the fill plugs.

mrdoug
10-19-2008, 09:24 AM
That plug wasn't totally rounded, if it hadn't had 2 gazillion ft. lbs of torque, it would have been fine. The wrench only slipped off twice. But damn did I have a shitty day yesterday.

Lesson learned, fill plug first from now on.

The front drain plug never did break loose tho.

Gerdo
10-19-2008, 01:51 PM
Sam

I know it started out to be a simple drain/refill of the diffs and turned into "Change all fluids". It sounds like a lot and alot of cost but you can do it over time to spread the cost out. You should change all fluids sooner or later. It will prolong the life of yout 4runner. It's good to be a part of doing the service, like at a HOW, so you know and learn about your vehicle.

4Runner_Girl
10-19-2008, 05:27 PM
LOL THANKS EVERYBODY!!! It was certainly quite and adventure lol...we took 2 hours and only got half of it done...lol the front NEVER got done that plug was SO on there and didnt wanna move...as we found out lol...same with the rear maybe if we can at some point figure out how to take care of it my dad has an impact driver...or i could always heat it up in 4wd before we attempt and see if that works? lol but thats everyone for the extreme help I CERTAINLY wouldnt have been able to do it AT ALL...lol and yes i made it to work in 30 mins clear across town lol...

oh and we almost got troy and doug ran over by my 4Runner lol...they didnt tell me to put the E brake on and back in first gear after spinning my tires and topping off the rear fluid...so when the jack came down the car was still on a bit of an incline and came rolling down..but we stopped it thank god...

4Runner_Girl
10-19-2008, 05:29 PM
It's actually a manual transmission, Brian!

Holy shnikes that had to be the hardest diff fluid change EVER!

yeah its a manual i wont settle for anything else...lol thats all i have driven...:D

4Runner_Girl
10-19-2008, 05:30 PM
Well somebody...(Grandpa Doug :D) didn't take the advice to open the fill plug first... And sure enough, after all the fluid was out, that damn fill plug would not pop loose. Ended up having to weld a breaker bar to it, after they rounded the bolt.

lol its a learning experience for all lol...

4Runner_Girl
10-19-2008, 06:08 PM
Sam

I know it started out to be a simple drain/refill of the diffs and turned into "Change all fluids". It sounds like a lot and alot of cost but you can do it over time to spread the cost out. You should change all fluids sooner or later. It will prolong the life of yout 4runner. It's good to be a part of doing the service, like at a HOW, so you know and learn about your vehicle.

lol it was quite to learning experience...lol...i have a manual transmisson so a little cheaper...lol

Sucka
02-05-2009, 09:42 PM
Bumpin an old thread ;)

I'm thinking about doing my differentials and transfercase here soon. What ended up being the definitive answer as to viscosity's? 75-90 for the front/xfer case and 80-90 for the rear? Truth be told i've been about 50/50 doing my own oil changes in the past but never done any other fluids on my own. I really want to get on a maintenance cycle here on my own and looking for some definitive information.

Was also considering synthetics all around, but is that even worth it? Some people swear by it, others says it's a waste of money and are prone to leaking, what's the word?

What is a solid brand choice? I don't need to drink the high dollar brand company kool-aid but i want to use quality products where possible.

Diffs/xfer case is a 30K thing generally speaking correct?

I probably don't need to do this stuff right at the moment but piece of mind and starting my own maintenance schedule sounds like a good idea.

Thanks.

RedRunnertc
02-05-2009, 10:29 PM
You can use 75-90 GL4/GL5 in everything, except that you have an automatic transmission, so your tcase takes ATF IIRC

EDIT: Taco cases take regular gear oil, pretaco automatics take ATF - thanks, Brian!

Sucka
02-05-2009, 10:40 PM
I'll check the manual on that one, cause i don't know.

What's the difference between GL4 and 5?

RedRunnertc
02-05-2009, 10:59 PM
http://www.4crawler.com/4x4/index.shtml#SyntheticGearOil

GL5 tends to attack "yellow metal" (brass/bronze) parts, but has more high pressure additives. It is required in differentials due to the helical gears sliding motion. Because of the corrosion issues, it can NOT be used in some transmissions. Toyota tranny's are compatible with GL4 or GL5

thefatkid
02-06-2009, 08:36 AM
You can use 75-90 GL4/GL5 in everything, except that you have an automatic transmission, so your tcase takes ATF IIRC

No, bad time will happen if you use ATF in your taco t-case. 75-90wt is recommended.

RedRunnertc
02-06-2009, 01:59 PM
So they did away with the siamesed crap they had on the preTacos then? That's good to hear!

(Post above edited in case someone comes across this in a search)

Sucka
02-06-2009, 02:24 PM
Thanks fellas.

Manual calls for 75-90 in the front diff and Xfer case.

Calls for 80-90 in the rear diff.

Both diffs were listed GL5 while the Xfer case was GL4 or GL5.

What interval is this type of service generally speaking, 30K? I was going to go with all synthetics but i'm just going to stick with conventional for the diffs and xfer case and do synthetic for the engine oil. I picked up the oils today, but i think i might hold off on all but the engine until i'm at 60K miles.

RedRunnertc
02-06-2009, 05:14 PM
Interval should be in the manual too ... :D

Sucka
02-06-2009, 05:48 PM
Well shit i don't need this club anymore, everyone i need to know is in the manual :D

Actually i don't remember seeing anything about intervals in there. It just told you how to check fluid levels and what to use i think. But i'll give it another look.

4Runner_Girl
02-07-2009, 12:01 AM
while on the subject i still havent finished my front nor have i gotten to my t case...? whens the next how?

ike
02-07-2009, 12:14 AM
Sat. You mean you havent figured them out yet?

RedRunnertc
02-07-2009, 11:46 AM
Sam I would be sure to get some spare drain/fill plugs before we attempt it ... no telling what it will take to get those bastards loose!

4Runner_Girl
02-08-2009, 01:52 AM
haha lol i know...for sure...i can tell ya right now i had the damn lube and tune place loosen the front diff drain...lol...i just dont have all the tools needed...

ike
02-08-2009, 06:43 AM
Sounds like another area insurance money could have been spent on.

Sucka
02-14-2009, 07:39 PM
Did my transfer case and front diff today. T-case was nothing, the front diff was a pain. The plugs came off no problem, it was the filling that was troublesome. I don't have a pump so i had to use a hose which sucked. In the future i'll use a pump of some kind for the front.

I could not for the life of me break the bolt on the rear. It started to strip the bolt so i gave up for the night and will try again in the morning. I really don't want to go to jiffy lube to break a bolt.

I was going to wait till 60K but i just wanted to get it done for piece of mind. The t-case oil looked good but the front diff looked really dark, glad i did it. Now just need to get the rear done.

RedRunnertc
02-14-2009, 10:42 PM
I have a 6 point 24mm socket and a welder if it comes to that ...

Sucka
02-14-2009, 11:00 PM

Thanks Troy, i'll let you know in the morning ;)

4Runner_Girl
02-14-2009, 11:49 PM

well lol i still have all the things i just need time and all the right tools my dad has some but still....

Sucka
02-15-2009, 01:10 PM
Went to the local jiffy lube and they broke it loose for me. They were really cool about it, they needed a pipe to get leverage, that thing was ON THERE.

The oil that came out was almost black, i'm glad i decided to do the change. Almost makes me want to do all my fluids now after seeing that. I was also about 48oz. low on coolant in the res and actual rad combined. I'm starting to question this 200+ point inspection it supposedly got....lol

Gerdo
02-15-2009, 05:42 PM
I'm starting to question this 200+ point inspection it supposedly got....lol

Seats? check
Doors? check
Engine? check
Etc....

Sucka
02-16-2009, 10:17 PM
well lol i still have all the things i just need time and all the right tools my dad has some but still....

I have a 24mm socket and 10mm hex if you need a hand. If those plugs are on there tight you can do like me, go to the quick lube and have them break them :D

My only regret was not doing that sooner, i tore my hands up pretty good trying to be a tough guy! They actually made it look pretty easy at the shop, but they also had a breaker bar..lol

ike
02-16-2009, 10:48 PM
But dont trust them to do the change. I was talking to a classmate of mine today. he has and 03 taco and brought it to Jiffy Lube for an oil change. They talked him into doing the diffs as well. a month later while going 80 down 25, his front diff siezed sending the driveshaft flopping around because they never put any new fluid in the diff.

4Runner_Girl
02-16-2009, 11:43 PM
No I was able to get them lose as Doug and Troy how tight those things were on there.....HOLY SHIT.....but I do need to get it done

mrdoug
02-17-2009, 07:13 AM
Heh, breaker bar's don't always help either. I'd never ran across one as tight as Sam's. If I had a breaker bar, i could have stripped it quicker/easier I guess.

RedRunnertc
02-17-2009, 08:07 AM
Hell, even welding a, what, 4' breaker bar on there it was still tough!

thefatkid
02-17-2009, 08:28 AM
You guys still need to do this? If so let me know, I'll show you a couple tricks.

ike
02-17-2009, 09:09 AM
Using a 6 point socket is key to not stripping these bolts.

fjcruzer
02-17-2009, 09:17 AM

Did you remember to do the little dance first :confused:

You guys still need to do this? If so let me know, I'll show you a couple tricks.

That would be most helpful :)

Using a 6 point socket is key to not stripping these bolts.

Even doing this, I tweaked mine a little before it finally let go. :(

mrdoug
02-17-2009, 09:29 AM

If I remember right, the heat from welding that bar on the second time actually broke it free. I'll say that's the last time I ever drain a diff before breaking the fill plug. I'm the "burn your hand once regardless of what I've been told" kind of guy.

That would be most helpful :)

X2

Brian, any time you have a trick you want to share, I know 90% of us want to hear it. The other 10% do too, they just don't know it yet.

devinsixtyseven
02-17-2009, 09:44 AM
Have you guys tried a heat gun? Not a torch...

Also, if you're completely screwed, you can fill it through the breather hole.

Gerdo
02-17-2009, 09:52 AM
Something to remember WHEN you retighten any of the fill/drain plugs on things like diffs and transfers, They don't need to be excessively tight. They need to be tight so they seal and don't vibrate out but that is it. There isn't any pressure built up inside so the oil isn't going to be forced out. I noticed a Dodge pickup on the roadthe other day. They use a rubber plug to close the fill on their rear diffs. It was weeping some but it was just a rubber plug.

Volcom
02-17-2009, 09:54 AM
I change all my 24mm plugs over to this style, much easier to remove!
http://trail-gear.com/images/drainplug-600.jpg

Always pull the fill plug first. If you pull the drain plug and can't get the fill plug open, you're screwed :D

4Runner_Girl
02-17-2009, 10:02 AM
Yeah we finally got the rear fill plug off after I had to weld a bar to it so it could break....and Doug learned that you probably need gloves...But I got the jiffy lube place to loosen the fill plug on the front diff...so we can finish it sometime soon hopefully...we have had an interesting time with that...

so hopefully (fingers crossed....Knock on wood) it should only take about 15-20mins to finish it...