: 08 taco charger sounds?? Need an expert

vwfastg60
10-17-2008, 03:49 AM
So my friend has a S/c'ed 08 taco. She had the charger done when she picked up the truck. All at boulder toyota IIRC. The install took them 3 days to start the headache. Well she gets it back and there are a few issues.

1. At start up it sounds like it has marbles in it. They said its normal but i have never heard one sound like that. Travis's has been abused and sounds fine anytime he starts it.

2. Ripps harder if you dont floor it. If you floor it the truck will pull and fall on its face. If you want to get on it you have to be 3/4 gas or its a mess.

3. at any time even when the truck is off you can hear the pump for the heat exchange come on. It was sitting in the garage for like 5 hours and was ice cold to the touch even the block and that thing came on while we were standing there.

Do any of the things listed sound like normal things to have happen? Why would Toyota say that the sound on start up is normal on a charger with maybe a 1000 miles on it and has done it from day one with a motor that has like 30 miles more then the charger. The other thing is why if toyota did the install would it have management issues being stock pulley? Do they do any management changes when they put that on? Colder plugs? I offered to help her out but she wants to see if toyota can get it right first. IMO i think its pulling timing even tho she runs 91 and most of the time a booster because the plugs are too hot and there was nothing done to the management.

The truck is babied and she doesnt rip on it but she did after her first oil change that took FOREVER because she was in a hurry and found the bogging.

vwfastg60
10-17-2008, 03:51 AM
Also adding that she got the truck on a Saturday and i think dropped it back off to have the charger done monday. Shes asked them about it but i think they are slow walking her cause its a female.

RedRunnertc
10-17-2008, 08:09 AM
Well, when the motor or charger blows, they can slow walk a new motor in since it will be under warranty... I wouldn't have ANYONE else touch it - get every record in their database of how often it's been brought in. Flat out tell them that you are compiling "lemon law" paperwork for WHEN it fails. Play hardball.

Opie011
10-17-2008, 01:15 PM
Yea I agree that no one should touch that truck except the dealership. Yes finding problems and fixing them yourself might be quicker but, then a dealership finds out and voids warranties! Sounds like they are taking their time. Like troy said, play hardball and even take it to a different dealership!

00regcab
10-17-2008, 01:38 PM
It falls on its face because i highly doubt its getting enough fuel, especially under full throttle. Especially since toyota does not do any sort of ecu flash or anything to help compensate for the additional fuel needed, usually its just the 7th injector kit which is a waste of time.

Blowntaco
10-17-2008, 01:55 PM
It falls on its face because i highly doubt its getting enough fuel, especially under full throttle. Especially since toyota does not do any sort of ecu flash or anything to help compensate for the additional fuel needed, usually its just the 7th injector kit which is a waste of time.

Actually the new Tacoma's do get reflashed for a s/c

00regcab
10-17-2008, 02:06 PM
Actually the new Tacoma's do get reflashed for a s/c

It cant be that great of a reflash then... unless they didnt do that to hers.

Blowntaco
10-17-2008, 02:08 PM
It cant be that great of a reflash then... unless they didnt do that to hers.

Might be the problem??? Dunno though

RedRunnertc
10-17-2008, 03:47 PM
even take it to a different dealership!

You have a lot of options with all the toyota techs we have on here:

If you take it to Boulder Toyota, get Jacob to look at it. I don't know if he is their most knowledgable tech, but he is likely the most "TTORA friendly". Otherwise, take it to Burt and have Brian (thefatkid) work on it or ummmm ... Stevinson I think? ... and have Darryl (blowntaco) look at it.

fjcruzer
10-17-2008, 04:51 PM
This sounds familiar...

http://www.tacomaterritory.com/forum/showthread.php?goto=newpost&t=113410

thefatkid
10-19-2008, 01:00 AM
If i remember correct those get 6 new injectors, 6 new plugs, and a reflash.

There is no lemon law on "aftermarket accesories". The charger it's self isn't cover by the lemon law, just good customer service.

Just FYI the new GR engines are noisey at startup. The have a good amount of cold pistion slap. Eric's supercharger noise was constant cold to hot. It was not a "nose cone" noise. It was on the back side of the impellers.

fjcruzer
10-19-2008, 10:23 PM
If i remember correct those get 6 new injectors, 6 new plugs, and a reflash.

Eric's supercharger noise was constant cold to hot. It was not a "nose cone" noise. It was on the back side of the impellers.

x2, thanks for the clarification

vwfastg60
10-20-2008, 06:47 AM
Thanks guys, I will pass it on. I know its been at the dealer and they kept telling her the noise is normal. She did get injectors but i dont know about plugs. The dealer gave her all the stock parts incase she ever wanted to have it pulled off. I honestly have never been in a s/c toy that has pulled correctly. Travis has fuel issues and the truck runs strong but in some Rpm's it struggles i feel. Even some of the non turbo equiped cars and trucks with FI added they just run like poop.

fjcruzer
10-20-2008, 09:38 AM
if you want a side-by-side comparison, let me know and we can get together. I still have a pair of spring compressors for you...