: Gauging Interest in Plate Style Front Bumpers?

CurleysRacecars
10-28-2008, 08:41 PM
Hey all,
Im not a vendor or anything here...just trying to gauge interest and would willingly pay for a vendor's fee, if I decided to go through with this. Also, if this is the wrong forum, please feel free to move it.

I am currently have a bumper lasered, and bent by a friend of mine, and was wondering if there would be interest from others, wanting the same bumper? I couldnt decide between tubes, or plate, but hate the fact that the majority of people have tube bumpers. Im all about being different. However, I dont like the huge "gaudyness/snowplow" look of the typical plate bumper.
Therefore, my design is more slimline, will still house a winch nicely, and is made of .25" material. It is all one piece, lasered, formed, and seams welded, with gusseting behind to reinforce. It will utilize the stock frame mounts, as well as have a "lip" that comes down, and bolts to the front crossmember where the threaded holes are. The first unit will be for 1989-1994 models.
It is similar to the bumper below, although it will wrap all the way around the side, and follow the curvature of the wheel opening...not be "capped" like the bumper in the following picture. Will also NOT have the tube work on the top, although this could be requested.
As for price...not sure. Id like to keep it around $450-$475. With this being said, how many would be interested in something like this? Any input or mods you would like better? Thanks in advance, and I hope this doesnt start a huge controversy over vendors, and fees, and all of that sort. Again, Im NOT selling these...just simply gauging interest to see if it is possible to offer a quality product to the Toyota owners.

Thanks a bunch!
Kyle Curley

Similar to this:
http://www.shrockworks.com/files/products/d_289.jpg

RedRunnertc
10-28-2008, 10:02 PM
I far prefer plate style to round tube on the earlier trucks

Hayes
10-28-2008, 10:24 PM
If you make one for an 85, I would be interested...

CurleysRacecars
10-28-2008, 11:25 PM
Thanks for the input guys! Anyone know the difference in frame width from the 85 bodystyle, and the early 90's body style? Also, does anyone have the dimension of the slot needed, and bolt centerline for the Haywes(I think thats what its called), winch fairlead?
Thanks again!
Kyle

al76
10-28-2008, 11:37 PM
one for a 91 toyota pickup...but how bout with a stinger?

CurleysRacecars
10-29-2008, 12:15 AM
As I said, they wont have the stinger, or any tube work for that matter, as a "standard", but you could order any tube work you wanted.
Kyle

RedRunnertc
10-29-2008, 06:53 AM
I believe the frame width on the 2nd and 3rd gen trucks (1st ad second gen 4Runners) were the same with pretty minor differences.

extremetoy2000
10-29-2008, 08:09 AM
I think plate bumper can look really good. Unfortunately most of the ones I see are too big for the truck they are on. Even ARB's Toyota bumpers look big enough to fit a full size truck.

Here is one that looks really good.

http://i216.photobucket.com/albums/cc266/extremetoy2000/000_354.jpg

CurleysRacecars
10-29-2008, 09:32 AM
Extreme, I totally agree. Thats why I was thinking of a tube bumper. As you can tell in the picture I posted, it isnt too big...may look a little big on the Suzuki, but our trucks are a little bigger.
I basically made it, just big enough to house a winch. I wanted it even smaller, but the winch wouldnt fit so...Ill get some newer pics shortly of the 3D Solidworks drawing.
Lastly, is $475 too much to ask for them? Or is that about fair? I noticed the pics of the bumpmer I posted are like $550 I think.
Anyways, Hope everyone is well! Thanks a bunch!
Kyle

TacoCrazy
10-29-2008, 09:23 PM
I think plate bumper can look really good. Unfortunately most of the ones I see are too big for the truck they are on. Even ARB's Toyota bumpers look big enough to fit a full size truck.

Looks great, but that antenna mount is a sad after thought and wouldn't last 10 minutes on anything but a fire road. :2cents:

al76
10-29-2008, 09:36 PM
^^^Who makes that bumper? Its nice

webilt
10-29-2008, 09:57 PM

Ditto!

Hayes
10-29-2008, 10:36 PM
Looks great, but that antenna mount is a sad after thought and wouldn't last 10 minutes on anything but a fire road. :2cents:

Ric is in my club (started my club) and that bumper has been through hell and back. That antenna mount has hit rocks and not bent or dented...

Ditto!

ARMOROLOGY (http://armorology.com/)

PinkTaco
10-30-2008, 12:41 AM
I would def be interested for a nice plate bumper for an 87!

ForeRunner85
10-30-2008, 06:15 AM

X2

DieselHilux
10-30-2008, 07:46 AM
I will be building my own custom plate bumper soon as well as strengthining (sp) the frame and making custom brackets to mount the bumper. I love the look and there strong as hell if built correctly.
I am going to use 1/4" plate most likley but I may use other thicknesses in other areas.

CurleysRacecars
10-30-2008, 10:54 AM
Hey all,
Im trying to put together a list of items Id need for each individual bumper. I personally like the look of the hawse style fairlead, but I know not everyone has synthetic rope on their winch...so Im thinking Ill leave the front solid, and the consumer can make his own hole. Does this sound okay?
Heres my list:
*Bumper itself
*Frame mounts, with gussetting, and tubes coming from the bumper brackets, to the outer edge/corner of the bumper for support
*Plate to mount winch
*(2) 1" Thick Recovery Points/Shackle Mounts

Anything else youd like to see included in these? Thanks for the help!\
Kyle

jdbyrd
10-30-2008, 12:45 PM
very interrested in the plate bumper for a '91 truck...would be amazing!

too bad my wallet won't be ready for it until may 2010 (graduation date)

that being said your price isn't bad at all...

CurleysRacecars
10-30-2008, 05:52 PM
JD, thanks for the input. Believe me, I know the college scenario...Im there as well. Just going part time will break you!
Kyle

CurleysRacecars
11-06-2008, 10:14 AM
Hey guys,
Just touching bases with you. Still waiting for the CAD file to come back from the shop. I drew it up, and my buddy wanted to make some slight changes to make it easier to form and weld.
Hopefully by the end of this week, or early next week.

Thanks!
Kyle

red87
11-21-2008, 12:14 AM
any updates on these bumpers?

killwoodydead
11-23-2008, 11:51 PM

Manufacturer?

Steelhead
11-24-2008, 06:32 AM
Manufacturer?

Read the post or the bumper but don't ask questions that have already been answered.

Big-A
11-24-2008, 06:44 AM
Hayes......did your buddy give you any info on the cost of the armorology bumper?

Hayes
11-24-2008, 10:17 AM
His name is Ric on the boards, you'd have to contact him directly.

TheAussie1
11-24-2008, 12:34 PM
I don't think this is real, dude hasnt been on or answered anyones ?'s for a while

toyfamily
11-25-2008, 08:13 AM
Hey all,
Im trying to put together a list of items Id need for each individual bumper. I personally like the look of the hawse style fairlead, but I know not everyone has synthetic rope on their winch...so Im thinking Ill leave the front solid, and the consumer can make his own hole. Does this sound okay?
Heres my list:
*Bumper itself
*Frame mounts, with gussetting, and tubes coming from the bumper brackets, to the outer edge/corner of the bumper for support
*Plate to mount winch
*(2) 1" Thick Recovery Points/Shackle Mounts

Anything else youd like to see included in these? Thanks for the help!\
Kyle

It would be a real pain for someone to cut the fairlead hole in a clean way, especially without the knowhow or tools....the fairleads are the same specs so the holes would be the same. As for the price, there are reasons these are so $$.... parts, labor, tooling, disp., etc. so you don't loose your ass. It costs to put out a quality product.

Nick

extremetoy2000
11-25-2008, 03:04 PM
I don't think this is real, dude hasnt been on or answered anyones ?'s for a while

The bumper is made by a company called Armorology. They are in Colorado and unfortuantely only build custom so you have to take your truck to them to have it built. I was quoted $1200 to build one just like the one in the pic if I brought my 4Runner to them. Their website is http://www.armorology.com/

CurleysRacecars
11-25-2008, 08:00 PM
Hey guys,
I have the drawings at 3 different sheetmetal shops that have lasers. I should hear something shortly. I honestly didnt think there would be this much interest in these, or I would have tried doing this along time ago. Ill defenitely be in touch and let everyone know the deal.
Thanks for being patient!
Kyle

TheAussie1
11-26-2008, 09:30 PM
The bumper is made by a company called Armorology. They are in Colorado and unfortuantely only build custom so you have to take your truck to them to have it built. I was quoted $1200 to build one just like the one in the pic if I brought my 4Runner to them. Their website is http://www.armorology.com/

sick shiet, but this guy wants to build his own right?

CurleysRacecars
01-13-2009, 11:49 PM
Hey all,
Ive probably lost alot of interest, just because it has taken so long, but I think I may have finally found someone to quote the laser work to do these. Ive sent the drawings to 6 different companies...never thought it would be so damn difficult!
Anyways, I wanted to bring this back to the top, and let everyone know in the next week or so Im hoping to have a closer ballpark price. Ill have one built first for my truck, then use it for pictures and advertisement.

Thanks!
Kyle

SouthCoastMudder
01-14-2009, 08:57 AM
What year is the bumper for??

CurleysRacecars
01-14-2009, 09:47 AM
89-95

White Mountain Taco
01-14-2009, 08:40 PM
I've got an 86' that will be needing a front bumper in the near future. I know these bumpers you're trying to build are for 89-95 but I'd like to see some more plate style bumpers for my truck too.

CurleysRacecars
01-16-2009, 08:49 PM
Hey guys,
Ive finally found someone who is helping me out, and working with me. I defenitely think I will be able to offer these at $500 or less when the time comes. Should have a complete prototype in 2 or 3 weeks.
They are going to be all one piece, formed on a brake, and then welded at the seams, and smoothed with a grinder.
I need to get input on what exactly everyone wants as far as options go. For instance, is everyone going to want the winch cutout in the top of the bumper to house a winch, or only some people? Is everyone going to want holes cut in the face part of the bumper for lights to be recessed?
Im thinking the winch is probably a defenite, but the lights, I may not have lasered, and offer it as an option for say $75.
Below is a link to the beginnings of the bumper...the bottom pieces are not on it in this file, but you can get the idea.
Let me know what should be included! :) Hope to have these rolling in a month or so.

Kyle

Anyone know how to attach a PDF file? If so, I can put a 3d Model up, that can be rotated and everything. If someone can host it for me, let me know.
Thanks!

cadman
01-16-2009, 09:35 PM
Anyone know how to attach a PDF file? If so, I can put a 3d Model up, that can be rotated and everything. If someone can host it for me, let me know.
Thanks!

When you post, click the Manage Attachments button and upload your pdf through the window that pops up.

I like the Shrockworks bumper in your first post and the Amorology. Both are a couple of the best looking bumpers made IMO. If you can make one like either of those, can make them to fit trucks with body lifts (I have a 1"), and have mounts for stock turn signals, you have my attention. I'm looking for bumpers this summer, so I'll keep an eye on this thread. Good luck.

John Doe
01-16-2009, 09:59 PM
X2 on a 85-88 bumper. my 85 runner is awaiting a bumper right now. Definalty a winch, I know I would want holes for lights too.

CurleysRacecars
01-16-2009, 11:57 PM
Says file is too big, and I have no clue how to resize a PDF file. Anyways, Ill try to get some pictures as soon as the prototype comes off the press brake.
Thanks guys!
Kyle

jroach321
01-17-2009, 03:11 PM
dibs on one for a 96 runner! that sucks armorology wont ship! been looking for awhile and that bumper looks great!

GPorsch
01-19-2009, 05:33 PM
Make a version to work with 3" body lifts!!! Winch mount is an absolute must! Lights are not such a big deal. Try to keep the cost down. :)

NorcalPR
01-19-2009, 05:41 PM
Hey guys,
Ive finally found someone who is helping me out, and working with me. I defenitely think I will be able to offer these at $500 or less when the time comes. Should have a complete prototype in 2 or 3 weeks.
They are going to be all one piece, formed on a brake, and then welded at the seams, and smoothed with a grinder.
I need to get input on what exactly everyone wants as far as options go. For instance, is everyone going to want the winch cutout in the top of the bumper to house a winch, or only some people? Is everyone going to want holes cut in the face part of the bumper for lights to be recessed?
Im thinking the winch is probably a defenite, but the lights, I may not have lasered, and offer it as an option for say $75.
Below is a link to the beginnings of the bumper...the bottom pieces are not on it in this file, but you can get the idea.
Let me know what should be included! :) Hope to have these rolling in a month or so.

Kyle

Thanks!

Send it to me and I'll host it on my web space:

norcalpr at ttora dot com

CurleysRacecars
02-09-2009, 09:55 PM
Hey guys,
I feel like I have someone who can do these for me FINALLY! And he's local too. He's the 7th business who talked to me, and the only one who actually came through. Anyways, I should have some pictures in a couple weeks. I know Ive said this before...sorry again for the delay, and I hope i havnt lost any business yet.
Ill update as soon as possible!

Kyle

dewiseman
02-09-2009, 10:35 PM
Well get on it son. :D:D:D count me in for a 95 4runner. not to rush you or anything... but have you started on a similar rear bumper yet, :D P.S.( I would be happy with a non-winch version )

2toy
02-09-2009, 10:49 PM
if you all like the style of the plate bumpers then you should check out bentup.com well they shut down shop a few months ago im guessing do to the economey but thats the only thing that has deleyed me getting one of theirs they are the best looking i have ever seen for sure! you can still contact them go to the site and it has an e mail address to the guy that makes them.

CurleysRacecars
02-10-2009, 08:04 PM
Dewise, I could easily do a non-winch bumper for you if youd like. On the rear, I can make one that looks like it would be a "pair" with the front. That would actually be fairly easy. If I can move a couple of the fronts, it will motivate me to design and build the rears. Ill keep everyone up to date. They should be cut sometime next week hopefully.

Thanks!
Kyle

dewiseman
02-11-2009, 12:16 AM
what kind of materials are you planning on using?

CurleysRacecars
02-11-2009, 09:07 AM
The front bumper is 3/16" plate.

marco99trd
02-11-2009, 05:46 PM
i have an 88 4runner if that is ur price then i will guarente u my business!

dewiseman
02-12-2009, 12:33 AM
What kind of tubing will you be using for the framing under the plate? That is what will determine the strength and durability of the bumper isn't it.

marco99trd
02-12-2009, 06:59 PM
Read the post or the bumper but don't ask questions that have already been answered.

X2 lol!

marco99trd
02-12-2009, 07:05 PM
The front bumper is 3/16" plate.

All of it? B/c That's gonna be really heavy, bud builts are 3/16" . :)

CurleysRacecars
02-12-2009, 08:04 PM
It will be around 120 lbs. If you go down to .125", and you whack a rock good, your going to dent it. Id like to make them out of .25" for strength, but with a mini size truck, your front suspension would sag! HAHA.
Im going to have two of them cut out next week...one for my truck, and one for a friends truck. If all goes well, Ill sell the one I build for my truck, and then take orders on them. Id like to get orders of at least 5 of them before I have any lasered, but we can work that out when the time comes.

Kyle

John Doe
02-12-2009, 08:16 PM
I have already settled on a tube bumper, and have 1 on order; but if I like yours enough I may just buy it to replace mine.

TheAussie1
02-12-2009, 09:30 PM
When you gonna build me my sliders? lol

CurleysRacecars
02-13-2009, 12:43 AM
When you gonna build me my sliders? lol

I just finished my tubing bender conversion...now its hydraulic! :) Im super busy with racecar stuff lately though. Keep in touch though.

Kyle

TheAussie1
02-13-2009, 09:38 AM
Racecars for where?

marco99trd
02-13-2009, 04:07 PM
It will be around 120 lbs. If you go down to .125", and you whack a rock good, your going to dent it. Id like to make them out of .25" for strength, but with a mini size truck, your front suspension would sag! HAHA.
Im going to have two of them cut out next week...one for my truck, and one for a friends truck. If all goes well, Ill sell the one I build for my truck, and then take orders on them. Id like to get orders of at least 5 of them before I have any lasered, but we can work that out when the time comes.

Kyle

i think that 3/16, .188, would be sufficient for me :) . 120lbs made from 1/4"??

CurleysRacecars
02-13-2009, 08:47 PM
Racecars, for the racetrack! :) HAHA. Go to www.curleysracecars.com. Drag racing cars...

No, the 120 lbs would be 3/16".

Kyle

CurleysRacecars
02-14-2009, 06:51 PM
I was talking to the friend of mine who will be doing the laser and forming work, and he pretty much talked me into 10 gauge, which is .134" thick. It will save a bit on the weight, and just be easier to work with. It sounds thin, but when you look at a piece, you see the strength factor in it. Ill post back asap.

Kyle

TheAussie1
02-14-2009, 06:57 PM
going in circles is better ;)

marco99trd
02-14-2009, 08:54 PM
I was talking to the friend of mine who will be doing the laser and forming work, and he pretty much talked me into 10 gauge, which is .134" thick. It will save a bit on the weight, and just be easier to work with. It sounds thin, but when you look at a piece, you see the strength factor in it. Ill post back asap.

Kyle

Yea that sounds ok! :)

CurleysRacecars
02-15-2009, 01:38 AM
going in circles is better ;)

Going in circles is fuckin GAY! haha.

marco99trd
02-17-2009, 05:10 PM
going in circles is fuckin gay! Haha.

x2! :)

marco99trd
02-17-2009, 05:12 PM

Kyle

I'm very familiar with gauges of sheet metal, thanks dude :)

TheAussie1
02-17-2009, 10:05 PM
Going in circles is fuckin GAY! haha.

to each their own

CurleysRacecars
05-19-2009, 07:26 PM
First order of two(one for me, one for a friend) was placed. Ill be going out of town tomorrow, so next week everything should start rolling. When everything starts rolling, Ill probably ask for 5 people to want bumpers before placing an order. This way I can get a quantity discount, and make the price reasonable to everyone. Ill have to wait to have a complete bumper done and then decide on a price. Just thought Id keep people updated...I know its been forever but Im still working on it.

Kyle

louis
05-19-2009, 08:18 PM
well people hate the wait game. lol.

John Doe
05-19-2009, 09:00 PM
i'm interested in 1 for my 85 4runner. I want to see what they look like for 1st. I forget do they accept a winch?

CurleysRacecars
05-19-2009, 10:47 PM
I know...I hate waiting as well. Im a busy person, and this Toyota stuff is just another venture for me. Yes they do accept a winch, although probably not one of the "tall" ones. Sorry if that sounds dumb, but its mocked up for a Warn M8000...which is fairly low-profile.

Kyle

John Doe
05-20-2009, 04:52 PM
thats the same winch I have on order. I have a front bumper on order too, but If I can see and like yours, I'll sell the 1 I have now.

marco99trd
05-21-2009, 06:33 PM
still waiting on this!??

CurleysRacecars
05-21-2009, 07:18 PM
Yeah I know marco! HAHA. Ill get on it next week. Hopefully have a completed soon after. Hold on for just a little bit longer guys!!!

Kyle

CurleysRacecars
05-27-2009, 04:23 PM
Well the bumpers are a go. Im working with the CAD guy at the sheetmetal shop I used to work at. Im hoping to have 2 of them cut and formed by next week or so. Im assuming people would be interested in a rear bumper of similar styling, so that they look like they go together when on the truck?
Maybe Ill get working on a rear bumper mock-up soon as well.

Kyle

CurleysRacecars
05-30-2009, 10:35 AM
Quick question for everyone...is it a big deal to anyone whether the winch is exposed through the top of the bumper or not? My current design has the winch totally enclosed, which obviously makes the bumper a little bigger than if the winch could "poke" through the top.
Just thought Id get everyones opinion. I should have a thin sheetmetal mock-up done today...Ill take some pics and post em.

Kyle

CurleysRacecars
05-30-2009, 02:39 PM
Hey all,
Im not sure I should post these pics or not, because they make the bumper look bigger than it looks in person. The height of the "face" is only 5.5" tall, and it sticks out from under the grille about 4.5", so that gives you an idea of the actual size. Also, I was by myself today and it 22gauge sheet metal so trying to hold it all in place without actual mounts, isnt easy with out someone else there to either hold it up or take the pictures. With that being said, if it look like its not sitting perfectly straight or something, its probably not, but obviously the production runs will be. This mock-up will go to the sheet metal shop Monday, and we'll see how long before they can turn two of them out for me.
Im pretty sure the M8000 style winch will fit underneath of it, but if not, Ill mark out where the top needs to be cut out for winch clearance. Im still interested in what people think about hiding the winch, or allowing the top of it to stick out. If it sticks out, I was thinking I could offer a bolt on cover to cover the top, that would thread into holes in the bumper itself. Its amazing the endless possibilities when your designing something like this.
Well...without further rambling, heres the pictures. Obviously all the edges will line up alot better with the actual bumpers. This is about 3 hours worth of work with a bandsaw, sheetmetal nibbler, snips, and a finger brake. This will be drawn up, then "mirrored" to make the opposite side, completing the bumper.

Let me know what you think.

http://i49.photobucket.com/albums/f283/57tsfairlane/DSC03760.jpg?t=1243715313

http://i49.photobucket.com/albums/f283/57tsfairlane/DSC03756.jpg?t=1243715756

http://i49.photobucket.com/albums/f283/57tsfairlane/DSC03757.jpg?t=1243715817

http://i49.photobucket.com/albums/f283/57tsfairlane/DSC03758.jpg?t=1243715869

http://i49.photobucket.com/albums/f283/57tsfairlane/DSC03759.jpg?t=1243715934

Kyle

CurleysRacecars
05-30-2009, 02:47 PM
I think Im going to take another .75" off the face of the bumper, making it smaller in appearance. This will result in the winch being exposed, but Im still thinking it looks to big. Looking at the Shrockworks bumper for the Suzuki Sidekick, its got a really nice look to it, and has the "small" apperance, which I like and Ive been trying to replicate. Hopefully we'll have some prototypes shortly.

Kyle

jroach321
05-31-2009, 09:42 AM
completely agree with taking the .75 out of it. most of us just cut the grill out to get it back further. keep it as close to te truck as possible

CurleysRacecars
05-31-2009, 10:12 AM
I was planning on taking the .75" off the face(vertical part where the fairlead would bolt to), which wouldnt make it any difference as far as sticking out of the grille. Im going to tinker some more today and see what I can come up with.

Kyle

toyota94,86
06-01-2009, 12:23 AM
most interested if you can make one for a 94 also need a rear bumper

CurleysRacecars
06-01-2009, 12:40 AM
most interested if you can make one for a 94 also need a rear bumper

Thats a 94 in the pics. If the front bumpers do even semi-okay selling wise, Ill be doing a rear also. Thanks!
Also, I wanted to let everyone know...before any price is posted I will become a vendor of the forum. I dont want there to be any problems or people thinking Im getting away with it or anything. Just to clarify.

Kyle

red87
06-01-2009, 12:55 AM
I like the duct tape :) Were you thinking of adding any tubework to the top?

CurleysRacecars
06-01-2009, 12:57 AM
I like the duct tape :) Were you thinking of adding any tubework to the top?

That was my "third hand" holding the outside up. HAHA. I figured on making tube work an "accessory" for people to choose from. I personally dont like tube work on a plate bumper, but I know alot do. Therefore Ill keep it optional.

Kyle

swaycleveland
06-04-2009, 09:43 AM
just a side note. alot of us run budbuilt skids and they mount differently then the factory skid might wanna look into that
heres a link to budbuilt it shows the 86 to 95 truck skidplate mount
http://www.budbuilt.com/new/ifs.html

get this thing done soon and ill more then likely be sending you a check lol

CurleysRacecars
06-05-2009, 09:47 AM
Thanks for the heads up on the skids. You should be able to run a bolt through both the bumper and the skid into the factory crossmember. Its all in the hands on the sheet metal shop...I HATE not being in control of what Im building/producing. Ill give em a call and see where there at. Thanks again for the heads up! BTW, I decided to have big radiused bends, similar to the Shrockworks bumpers. It was either that or a small piece at a 45* angle...so the top would come out, 45* down, then another 45* down. Im trying to stay away from the "box tube" look. So...if you look at a Shrockworks bumper, they use a big radius to make nice rounded corners instead of squared off corners.

Thanks again!
Kyle

CurleysRacecars
06-12-2009, 06:07 PM
Okay guys,
I know youve been wanting pictures. Heres the current CAD drawing of the complete bumper. I need to go over some final dimensions, but should have at least the center piece lasered and formed early next week. Going to do just the center piece to start with, to make sure the winch will fit behind it and that there wont be any issues. After that, I'll start doing the production run of them. Let me know what you think.

http://i49.photobucket.com/albums/f283/57tsfairlane/bumpercad1copy.jpg?t=1244851603

http://i49.photobucket.com/albums/f283/57tsfairlane/bumpercadcopy.jpg?t=1244851641

Kyle

hunter4runner
06-14-2009, 05:45 PM
what about the front being angled some? that way its not an air brake, or not so badly one

CurleysRacecars
06-14-2009, 06:50 PM
what about the front being angled some? that way its not an air brake, or not so badly one

I'd like to, but the winch is already going to be an extremely tight fit so making it any smaller wouldn't work.

Kritical
06-14-2009, 08:01 PM
That's looking really nice. I could definitely see myself running that on my truck.

Keep us informed with updates.

CurleysRacecars
06-24-2009, 06:50 PM
The prototype of the middle section is complete. It looks pretty good. Id like it to be smaller, but then was thinking...anyone who mounts a winch on the front of one of these trucks, are all "taking up the same space". Whether its on a winch plate or inside a bumper...the winch can only go back against the core support, and up against the bottom of the grille so much.
So I guess what Im saying, is regardless of how big the bumper looks, its really no bigger than any other winch mount out there. Does anyone disagree with me? Am I losing my mind?
Ill have pics up in a bit. Sorry this is taking so long...Im a busy guy! :)

Kyle

CurleysRacecars
07-06-2009, 04:48 PM
Heres pictures of the middle piece. I still wish it was smaller, but as you can see, the winch is a SUPER tight fit in there. This piece is .25" by mistake. The bumpers will be .188" thick in the center. Theres a couple small tweaks to do, but overall it came out pretty good.
The winch is going to bolt directly to the angle piece of the bumper that goes down to the factory crossmember. This allows the bumper to be smaller, yet still house the winch. Also is less material, lasering, and welding, which means CHEAPER! :)
I am going to move the winch opening down, so that the bottom is at the same height as the rectangles on the outer edges(for clevis mounts). This will make the fairlead directly in front of the winch like it should be. As the prototype is, if the winch is mounted on an angle like the plan is, the fairlead would be up above the winch itself.
Anyways, all feedback is appreciated!
Thanks!
Kyle

http://i49.photobucket.com/albums/f283/57tsfairlane/DSC03843.jpg

http://i49.photobucket.com/albums/f283/57tsfairlane/Untitled.jpg

http://i49.photobucket.com/albums/f283/57tsfairlane/DSC03842.jpg

http://i49.photobucket.com/albums/f283/57tsfairlane/DSC03836.jpg

RU55ELL
07-06-2009, 05:58 PM
Looks pretty good, although the front is a little too blunt for my taste. I think it may almost be better to let the winch stick out of the top.

CurleysRacecars
07-06-2009, 06:47 PM
I was wondering if that may be better myself. Anyway we could start a poll to see who would prefer the winch hidden, versus having it sticking out of the top. It should be fairly easy to re-design it so that it comes out the top, since I have all of the truck dimensions already.
Lets hear what everyone has to say.

Kyle

RU55ELL
07-06-2009, 07:11 PM
Heck, I wonder if the winch would perform sub-par with it not having much air movement inside the bumper. I figure it would get hot in there pretty quickly, which would make the motor perform poorly.

CurleysRacecars
07-06-2009, 07:53 PM
Heck, I wonder if the winch would perform sub-par with it not having much air movement inside the bumper. I figure it would get hot in there pretty quickly, which would make the motor perform poorly.

That may be a good point. My logo may be cut out in the under part of the bumper, where the bolt holes would be to mount the winch. Which would allow a little more air movement. Theres alot of bumpers out that completely conceal the winch such as the Shrockworks bumpers.

Kyle

vvcrow
07-07-2009, 11:21 PM
Just for us Tacoma drivers out there...how hard would it be to design / manufacture these to fit the 95.5-01 range? As soon as I can get working again, I am looking to replace my stock front bumper. I like some of the round tube designs out there, but the rest of my armor is or is soon to be square tubing and would like to match the front to the rest.

I really like the overall look and design and would like a short loop on top of the bumper. I would also suggest leaving the top of the bumper over the winch open in the event that you should have to service the winch (assuming you would have to remove the whole bumper to get to it otherwise). A detachable cover or top would be acceptable to me.

I have one question about attaching it though...what is the top portion of the bumper mounting to? It looks like there is a bolt in one of the pictures but im too unfamiliar with pickup frames to distinguish what that is.

Great Work!
~Corey

CurleysRacecars
07-08-2009, 12:30 AM
Corey, thanks for the input. If these do well, Ill definitely be looking at other models to make bumpers for. As for getting the winch out through the top of the bumper...it wont work because its under the grille as well. The top portion of the bumper will be held in place with the mounting plates.
I wont make the tiny little plates like you see alot of people use. Ive designed them to incorporate the top, front face, and bottom piece of the bumper, and then come into the frame mount. Just think of a vertical piece of plate, that touches all inside surfaces of the bumper, that comes to and is used as the mounting plates for the frame.

Hopefully that made sense!

Kyle

vvcrow
07-08-2009, 09:07 AM
Yes I think I have a pretty good idea what you're talking about with the mountings. Thanks for the quick response and the consideration! I look forward to seeing one of these finsihed. If I think of any other worthy ideas ill let ya know.

Corey

jmsdad
07-08-2009, 02:23 PM
Is that a Warn winch on there? That looks like a tight fit in there. Does anyone know if all the other winch manufacturers (Superwinch, mile marker, smittybilt etc...) have the same physical dimension as that one in the photo? Just an observation, it might fit one brand and not the others...

RU55ELL
07-08-2009, 02:54 PM
But why build a bumper that only fits one winch?

CurleysRacecars
07-09-2009, 04:36 PM
Ill have to check on dimensions of other winches. Dont panic yet.

CurleysRacecars
07-09-2009, 04:49 PM
Does anyone know if the control box, where you plug the controller into, is removable on the Superwinch and Mile Marker winches? They give you dimensions, but the height includes that piece, which obviously wont be attached to the winch itself, when using these bumpers.
Thanks!

vvcrow
07-09-2009, 09:57 PM
But why build a bumper that only fits one winch?

Personally....most people ive wheeled with dont have a winch before they have a bumper to put one in...the warn m8000 is relatively inexpensive and smittybuilt offers a 8000 lb winch as well for 1/2 the price thats almost the same size and even smaller in certain areas.... i know it limits your selection but i don't foresee myself needing more than a 8000 lb winch for a light truck. You offer a very valid point, but for me I dont see it being a huge deal. If you are dead set on having a larger winch I am sure it wouldn't be too hard to opt the fairlead hole out for a receiver hitch and use a hitch mount winch. Just a suggestion.

For reference....

SMITTYBUILT (http://www.winchdepot.com/Winches-Winch-Accessories/XRC8-Winch.aspx?t_c=18&t_s=300&t_pt=100702&t_pl=6426&t_pn=S%2fB97281)

WARN (http://www.winchdepot.com/Winches-Winch-Accessories/M8000-Self-Recovery-Winch.aspx?t_c=18&t_s=300&t_pt=100702&t_pl=6407&t_pn=WAR26502&ppcfon=1&gclid=CMb0yrWox5sCFQQQswod_gKOKQ)

Take care,
Corey

CurleysRacecars
07-10-2009, 06:05 PM
Thanks for the input Corey. I dropped the center section back off at the sheetmetal shop, and should have the new, updated one, with the slight mods done to it, by the end of next week(so they say). Once that one is test fit, the rest of the bumper will be a go, and Ill get the first two done and ba able to put a price tag on them.
As soon as these are complete as far as the design stage is concerned, Im going to jump into designing the rear bumper that wont match this(wont have a big center for the winch), but will look similar so people can have a "pair" of bumpers.
Thanks to everyone so far for being patient(I know its been forever), and everyone who has given their input. BTW, my logo will probably be lasered in the top plate, right above the winch, allowing air flow through to the winch, as well as the AC condensor and radiator.

Thanks again!
Kyle

vvcrow
07-17-2009, 12:03 AM
Any updates?

1asyotr
07-21-2009, 07:58 AM

again....mine's an 88 but I really like this style

CurleysRacecars
07-22-2009, 08:57 AM
The second "set-up" should be lasered and formed by next week(so I was told). Once its test fit, and all is a go, Ill have 2 complete bumpers formed. Ill definitely post updates as soon as I get them. Im still hating having to wait on other people!!! Thanks for staying interested.

Kyle