: new tires

twhzr7s
11-07-2008, 01:16 PM
I generally would shy away from these, but after reading up on them, was wondering what everybody thinks about them. The website is www.treadwright.com. I know, retreads, semis, tires all over the highway, but it looks interesting, at least from a price perspective. What do you think? Terry

Bear
11-07-2008, 01:32 PM
did the idea come from the national board? if not there is a thread started a few weeks ago on the same topic.

I don't have any experience with re treads, and I don't think many around here do.

For a dedicated trail rig though, I would not have a problem running them as long as the traction was what i needed.

twhzr7s
11-07-2008, 01:58 PM
No, I was just reading the latest issue of 4wheel and off-road and they had an article on them. I wanted to see if anybody around here had used them or heard of anybody who has. Guess I need to do more seaching before I ask. I see alot of different opinions, just looking. tires I want to go with are the bfg mt km2. Terry

Bear
11-07-2008, 02:06 PM
In that case, you might want to venture on over to the national board in the tire folder to look up that thread.

I can't remember the exact date it was started, but it may have been started as long as two months ago.

twhzr7s
11-07-2008, 02:17 PM
Thanks, I looked over there and there are many opinions on them, good and bad. I probably will go with a new tire, as the fj is also my daily driver. Better safe with my family in the truck. Terry

NwiTACO
11-07-2008, 02:38 PM
http://www.ttora.com/forum/showthread.php?t=113986&highlight=treadwright

Bear
11-07-2008, 02:46 PM
that be the one!

thanks for the assist!

NwiTACO
11-12-2008, 08:49 AM
Peterson's has an article in January's magazine regarding these tires, pgs. 72-73. Direct quote, "Now some of you may be weary of retreads, but don't be." They ran these tires on a Ram 1500 4x4 w/ full time lockers. They seemed very impressed with the tires. Even ran them consistantly aired down @ 30psi, since they said for some people airing down is not an option. Another quote " Be sure to check out our website (4wheeloffroad.com) for a long term update on the tires,"

This being said I think I am sold on these things. My next set may very well be a set of treadwrights.

brinner
11-12-2008, 09:37 AM
aired down to 30psi aint aired down.

Bear
11-12-2008, 09:42 AM
aired down to 30psi aint aired down.

x2

typically up here, I air down my 37" tires to 8-12 psi and they just begin to bulge at that pressure. which is the goal you should have when you air down. You want a wider foot print as well as the flexibility in the tire rubber to "wrap" around rocks and other obsticles.

30 psi, you are just going to "bounce" if anything with no traction gain.

NwiTACO
11-12-2008, 09:47 AM
Just sayin what the article said. I typically air down to 15 psi for the trail as well. I think they are trying to say that they were running "moderate pressure" as opposed to running the tire fully aired up. I would assume the idea was to start to get a bulge in the tire to see if the retread would start to "release." I agree that they should air down more but I aint testing the tires...