TTORA Forum banner

Help!

1K views 11 replies 5 participants last post by  Bear 
#1 ·
Hello everyone, hope your holiday was great!

As you know winter and snow are rapidly approaching! I have a 2001 tacoma xtra cab pre-runner that I really need to get rid of. I need 4x4 im looking for a 99-01 tacoma 4x4 or 98-01 4 runner 4x4. Stock or slightly built would be exellent. Im wondering how to go about selling my pre-runner and also if any of you can keep your eyes out for a good 4x4. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks Justin!

#2 ·
First thing to do on selling your truck would be to go to KBB.com or edmunds.com and even Nada.com to get an idea on what your truck is worth.

Once you have the price list it on Craig's list, on here, and the national board.

I would stay away from ebay, as you will only get scammers and little actual interest from the fee you have to pay for listing it on ebay.

Or if you happen to find a used truck on a lot somewhere, you can use your prerunner to trade up with.

Good luck, just with all this, try to have a little patience. I know in this market currently, trying to sell is a lot harder than trying to buy if you know what I mean.

I got my full size 3/4 ton diesel for what I consider a steal because no one else is willing to buy such a vehicle.

#3 ·
I have had good luck with cars.com. It does cost a little, but might help sell your truck quicker. Just my :2cents:

#4 ·
just in the local area i have seen several nice trucks and 4runners on the used lots if you want or need to go through a dealer. the Indiana auto and RV is one of the best resources for local purchases also. you can find a lot of trucks that are more built on the national boards such as TTORA and Pirate4x4.

#5 ·
Why don't you do the 4x4 conversion! One of the guys on the georgia chapter has done it! He goes by the user name Hillbilliy young. I think he has a write up somewhere on TTORA. I'm sure he want mind you asking? about it. But that is just my :2cents:

#6 ·
Derek, I have helped a friend back home do the conversion. Also Sarsquid did it on his.

I think, even with the money saving benefits, it is still better just to trade up into a 4x4.

you have to find all the front end, including the diff, spindles and shafts. Harder if you are holding out for manual hubs. Then you have to source out a tranny and transfer case, find the misc. parts like new speedo gears, and dip sticks (yes, the transmission dip stick location needs to be changed when doing the conversion on a automatic)

the conversion can be done in a weekend, but you have to have all the cards in the right place one slip up and your truck is down until you can fix what held you up in the first place.

NOt bashing your advice, and I would help again if needed. but just trying to give the best advice I can.

#7 ·
Kytaco will have almost all of the front end parts for him when he does the lift. thats if the other does do the conversion. But he was talking about go backwards into the years that are being bought back. That was the reason i suggested for him to do the 4x conversion. Yes i would agree that selling it to get the 4x would be better. But if he is upside down and has to put the rest in the other truck that he wants then he will have a higher payment. but that is just my :2cents: . But i also have the access to a tacoma junkyard and that is all he has. So thats what i would do HEHEHe

But no offense taken! I merly was suggesting it.

#8 ·
and I am just merely conversing. :D

did not take into account for him possibly being upside down. so you have a good point.

speaking of junk yards, you never got back to me on that motor.

#10 ·
Thanks for all advice guys. I think the conversion is a bit more of a project than i wanna take on. But i will def list mine and look at dealer inventorys for possible trades. If anyone comes about any good deals or rigs in these year ranges please let me know! Thanks again

#11 ·
Well let me know when you hear from him. I am now considering the 3.4 for the FJ (be nice to keep it all toyota) and if I can't get this damn motor in the taco running. I might need one for it as well!:mad:

#12 ·
there is a description of a nice one for sale on the main board;'99.

But it is probably a bit too far to make the deal viable. It is out in California.

If it comes down to you doing a conversion, start collecting parts and researching. I am sure we can pull together enough help for you here to get it done at a WAT.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.