: Toys for Tots Badland run recap

Bear
12-08-2008, 10:30 AM
Generally I try to recap the runs the very evening I get home or at the very least the day after. But since the home computer is down, this weekends TFT recap is being done two days later. so if anyone who attended sees any gaps that need to be filled, feel free

The cold December 6th day started out ominous out for 95toyotan ("Y" from this point forward) and I.

Y's taco decided to start swimming and doing fish tails at 70 mph down I74 on our way there to the tune of sliding under an over pass sideways, going through the median as well as popping up onto the East bound lanes as we were traveling Westbound.

Y did a masterful job in keeping the truck headed in the proper direction without putting the truck on it's lid. Ironically ( or possibly out of stupidity) I never felt paniced while sliding sideways down the interstate.

Not 10 miles further down the highway did we come across a state trooper's car off the side of the road needing a hook. as one of the truckers on the Cb stated, "the only thing that patrol car was going to be good for afterward was to be a soup can."

Listening to the truckers, of which one was the one that pulled the trooper from the wreckage, we learned the trooper was on his way to another wreck and lost control, sliding off the road and slamming driver's side first into an outcrop of trees. Minor injures, but in combination of this scene with our own near death experience, Y backed the speed down considerably.

At the park we found Maximum Destruction and Bull Dozer (monster trucks) Greeting everyone outside the main office with the drivers inside signing autographed photos of the trucks.

The group quickly came together with Jason, Bstoocool, NWItaco, and 95toyotan having the only rigs staging. We did have a guest also airing down. Dustin's friend, April driving a Jeep with a moderate lift a sticking transmission linkage and near bald rear tires.

Riders in the group were Brinner (designated spotter, and recovery artist) Dustin, and myself. NwiTaco had three friends with him, of which one was brought strickly to keep the confusion level high with his naming being Ryan. Making our group full of Three Bri(y)an's and one Ryan. Screen and nick names came in handy for this run.

With the snow starting to come down a bit harder we decided to hit the normal warm up area of the quarry. Once there with Brinner starting his rountine of slipping on the ice we got the trucks in order for the first group photo. As Brinner started his snow angle routine, O4TRDtaco called from the office looking for us. NWI headed back to round him up.

The snow and Ice definitely made things slower. General paths in the quarry that would normally not even be thought of as interesting became a challenge to travel up. Twenty foot easy rolling climbs became a test of determination for many of the jeeps and other vehicles also playing in the quarry.

After a period of time in the quarry and a quick trip down the "blue" trail behind the quarry we headed up to the office for a quick bite of free grub the park was providing for the event. BBQ pork or hotdogs. and probably more importantly a stay in a bit of warmth.

After the quick bite, we were back to the quarry to the start of the "white trail". At this point, it needs to be added, that the new management of the park has done a lot of changes. the white trail that was typically easy but tight before this trip seemed even easier but wider. I even caught Brinner throwing downed tree branches into the trail so that Jason would have something to think about going over. :D

Since Bstoocool is a bit top heavy and typically by-passes the one main decent at the beginning. 95toyotan decided to follow his lead since he drives a stock height taco without any armor.

I must say the by-pass seemed tougher than the actual obstacle this trip as the stock taco was grinding it's belly all the way threw the by pass. As the group gathered back together, we collected a nicely built yellow and black S10 sitting on a solid axle and 33's. This gentleman and his wife stayed with our group the remained of the day.

Once out of the white trail via the creek bed. The group decided to tackle the first half of the orange trail.

"Y" and I had our reservations as I knew the orange trail was typically one of the more challenging sections of the park. and with "Y"'s stock vehicle we were a bit skeptical of it's success coming out the other end without much body damage.

At the beginning of the orange trail Dustin and I (for me it was the second time of the day) learnt the value of keeping track of when the last vehicle passes you while on you are on foot. After all the rigs made a very nice 75-100 yard challenging ice climb we had no ride up. So we had to play mountain goats and climb the same hill the trucks had to make a run at to get speed to climb it.

Near the top of the hill, someone ( I believe it was Y) got smart and threw us down a tow strap so that we could use to climb the rest of the way up. (yes it was that steep and slippery)

After a bit more nail biting from Y and coaching him from the passenger seat from me, we got to the "slide" without any incidence. I don't believe anyone else did as well until "The Slide"

This proved to be an extremely challenging downhill venture! Jason went first without realizing the full scope of difficulty and ended up sliding "brand new CBI" bumper first - into a tree at the bottom of the decent. Moving the bumper back into the fender about an 1/2" to full inch. Would have been much worst by his own admission if the bumper had been the stock crap.

I did not see how Bstoocool got down, but I imagine he got down very quickly as once you started the down hill slide, you ended up at the bottom or into the trees very quickly.

Then it was Y's turn down. But before heading down in the stock unprotected truck Brinner came up with an idea to lower the truck down using tow straps. As no one in the group had seen this technique used before most if not all of us were scratching our heads trying to figure out what Brinner was up to.

But with two straps anchored to the stock truck we started down. as the truck hit the end of the first strap, the second strap was tied to another tree lower on the trail. Then the first strap was released by undoing the cinch wrap around the first tree, and so on. But after the second strap slipped or something (I was too busy watching the trees fly by us at a quick rate) Y was free "sliding" down the trail with brinner sking behind the truck holding the strap. Y was able to keep the truck headed between the trees and made it to the bottom damage free (Although I think while no one was watching afterwards, he was pulling seat cushion out of his ass the rest of the day).

NWI came down next and without any tether. The heavier 05 with it's longer wheel base made the decent look easy as well as the S10.

Since this "slide" was near the end of the first section of the orange, and April had put in a full 16 hours (according to Dustin) from work etc. as well as most of us beat from the cold. We decided to call it a day.

The trip was a lot of fun, especially for my first "snow run" with minimal damaged and no one hurt or broken. It was a good trip.

Photos are found over at http://s246.photobucket.com/albums/gg119/InTTORA/Badlands%2012-6-08/

Bear
12-08-2008, 10:32 AM
oh boy! now I remember why I started taking pictures instead of sticking to writing…a picture is worth a 1000 words, and I took 5 rolls of film.

NO wonder the recap is so long!

jason6746
12-08-2008, 11:24 AM
i think a frame straighting jig will be needed to untwist my bumper. looking at it yesterday it is worse than i thought. it is twisted and bent 2 to 3 inches, but i hit really hard. better that a stock would have been.

Bear
12-08-2008, 11:27 AM
I guess you hit it just right in order to twist it that bad. I am glad you are okay.

Makes you kinda wonder about the air bag now doesn't it?

But a body shop with a frame jig will probably be your best bet. This is something you need to post updates on.

Hagan34
12-08-2008, 11:39 AM
i think a frame straighting jig will be needed to untwist my bumper. looking at it yesterday it is worse than i thought. it is twisted and bent 2 to 3 inches, but i hit really hard. better that a stock would have been.

good thing the air bags didnt pop then, sounds like it was a hard hit.

steve h
12-08-2008, 11:50 AM
oh boy! now I remember why I started taking pictures instead of sticking to writing…a picture is worth a 1000 words, and I took 5 rolls of film.

NO wonder the recap is so long!

Rolls of film? I didn't know digital cameras had a place to put a roll of film. And you actually took a camera? That's gotta be a first.

Sliding into the oncoming lane of traffic could have ended up real bad. Glad you all are okay.

Bear
12-08-2008, 11:55 AM
Old school Buddy! old school! you know that about me! Too cheap to buy a digital for my personal use.

I have actually had my camera on two or three runs with you. We had it on the first run when the Dave's had to suck water out of Kentucky Dave's intake, I had the camera our first run to Harlan, and I also had it at Take Over if I remember right. well maybe not, I can't remember!

and the ride up to the park was as it sounds as eventful as the run itself. :D

But like I said being in the passenger seat and being able to look around to see no on coming traffic bearing down on us was a bit more comforting than I am sure it was in the driver's seat.

Hagan34
12-08-2008, 12:41 PM
was thinking that incident was more interesting then the run its self.

seems like it was a good time. cant believe you all got to go snow wheelin.

Is it alwasy cold as $hit at the ToT run at Badlands? the one where i met Brinner was hell of cold also.

NwiTACO
12-08-2008, 01:52 PM

Try a come-along, some chain, and a tree. I wrapped up the corner of my all-pro pretty good before too. You can pull alot with those things. You can also look for anything in the ground to use as an anchor to pull down from the back corner of the bumper as well. I was lucky enough that there are always old anchor bolts in the floor around the mills, they work great!

Just my :2cents: , worth a try before paying someone else...

brinner
12-08-2008, 01:56 PM
yeah, Jason's hit was a decent "SMACK" (at least thats what the tree told me when i was hiding behind it). The strap technique works, my brain was farting and i forgot to tell jason to take slack out of the strap so the vehicle doesnt gain momentum.

otherwise, i had a ton of fun.

Bear
12-08-2008, 03:05 PM
Even though you couldn't drive every rig down the slide? :rolleyes:

:D

NwiTACO
12-08-2008, 03:53 PM
I guess that hill where Jason slid into the tree is called the "slide"?

I was impressed with they held our trucks off the tree root sticking out when entering another trail section that seemed like a creek bed or something. Bear-same strap technique, used from the side, then released when clear of the root, allowing truck front end to drop into the trail, missing the root. Probably a bad explanation...

95toyotan
12-08-2008, 07:39 PM
So the next day I went to hose her down and look what I found!

Some mud of a different kind:(

http://i523.photobucket.com/albums/w358/gonebroke/SSPX0141.jpg

Good thing I was planning on painting the bed this summer anyway.

I believe it was on the bypass bstoocool and myself took when a BIG rut did this.

http://i523.photobucket.com/albums/w358/gonebroke/SSPX0144.jpg

It's a little tweaked and pushed in but not bad.

I don't even wanna talk about my skid plates:D . I really need to get to work on some armor!

I looked over the install of jason's front bumper and I bet that extra horizontal frame/bumper reinforcement help out alot in that hit. Great job on that!

DN1911
12-08-2008, 09:57 PM
hey guys i'm looking for a tow strap and d-ring that i think may have ended up in someones truck. the strap has black double layers on the eyes and a black D-ring. if anyone has these plese let me know so i can make arrangements to pick them up

Bear
12-09-2008, 08:09 AM
Thats the same description of my tow strap and d ring!

No seriously it is. When we got home I just threw my recovery gear in the garage and have not looked at it since. Let me inventory my stuff to make sure I didn't get home with two straps and 5 rings. If so, I have too many! :D

brinner
12-09-2008, 10:16 AM
............I bet that extra horizontal frame/bumper reinforcement help out alot in that hit. Great job on that!

thats the first thing i looked at after he got off the tree, didnt even budge an inch.

Bear
12-09-2008, 03:47 PM
http://i246.photobucket.com/albums/gg119/InTTORA/Badlands%2012-6-08/title.jpg

Well since my truck doesn't seem to be wanting to hit the trails, my camera took it's place

my photos are up in the photobucket account

and Mark, you would think you were a rock star or something!:rolleyes:

http://i246.photobucket.com/albums/gg119/InTTORA/Badlands%2012-6-08/468435-R1-00-24A.jpg

I tried to get images of everyone's rig, no favorites played, I promise!

http://s246.photobucket.com/albums/gg119/InTTORA/Badlands%2012-6-08/?start=all

In my opinion they are best viewed in the "slide show"
(next time I will devote more time to a title slide, just ran out of time today here at work)

brinner
12-09-2008, 04:14 PM
looks professional :D good job!

jason6746
12-09-2008, 07:08 PM
nice pics, finally get to see some of bears handy work.

Bear
12-10-2008, 08:48 AM
looks professional :D good job!

Well I am still practicing, maybe some day…

but thanks

I forgot how much contrast snow adds, and then I took the film to the one processor that I know adds contrast in the processing, so yea I guess you could say there was some post production work on those photos.

nice pics, finally get to see some of bears handy work.
That's right, these are the first run photos I have posted. Damn :o

Normally I am too busy forgetting the camera, film, or batteries. and if I do happen to remember everything, I get too busy driving, spotting or repairing my truck.

DN1911
12-12-2008, 10:16 PM
any luck on an extra tow strap and d-ring

95toyotan
12-13-2008, 01:54 PM
any luck on an extra tow strap and d-ring

The only one I came home with was Bear's in his red bag, and he put it in his garage:dunno:

DN1911
12-13-2008, 07:29 PM
i'm good turned out another buddy took it from my truck and didn't tell me. thanks for looking though

NwiTACO
12-14-2008, 12:22 PM
Glad it's found.

natetru
12-16-2008, 07:46 PM
looks like you all had a good time....would my stock 87 enjoy some time at the badlands? no locker, no winch, no lift.....all of which i am looking for used by the way!!!!

95toyotan
12-16-2008, 09:08 PM
Sure, there's a couple trails for us stockers. I'd suggest a decent set of tires though.

DN1911
12-16-2008, 10:14 PM
my 91 stocker on 31x10.5 all terrains did an awesome job during a frozen February trip this year. climbed a lot more than i thought it would and went everywhere until i hit a water hole that was a little deeper than the last time i went through. there are some pics of that trip if you follow the link above to the Indiana Photobucket account.

Bear
12-17-2008, 08:01 AM
When we have a chapter run such as this one was, we make every attempt to insure that everyone has trails they can run.

In other words we try to custom plan the trip for the type of rigs we have with us on any particular run.

We had stock vehicles with us for this one so you would have definitely been fine out there.

Now say just Brinner, myself and Jeep crasher showed up, Then no you would not have been safe, as our rigs (when running) are modified the heaviest in the group. Ironincally all three of those named rigs are down currently

NwiTACO
12-17-2008, 09:02 AM
"Y" did great for being a "Stocker", the more the merrier! I don't think that '87 will be stock for long :kewl:

Bear
12-17-2008, 09:13 AM
… I don't think that '87 will be stock for long :kewl:

Not if he continues to hang out with our crowd! After all I have been labeled as as 'bad influence" :D We even have "y" already wanting to modify his stocker to beef it up some.

I can only imagine all the stuff we could do to an '87!

I think Nate just needs to hide his wallet from himself to protect himself from all of our suggestions and encouragement:D

:xofftopic I make one comment and it goes straight to your "sig line" huh?

that there is just funny! But the truck did look good in all the photos!

NwiTACO
12-17-2008, 09:50 AM
:xofftopic I make one comment and it goes straight to your "sig line" huh?

A little slow, Bear. I just was waiting for someone other than myself to "second" my motion...

Bear
12-17-2008, 10:10 AM
A little slow, Bear. I just was waiting for someone other than myself to "second" my motion...

yea, well you know…

FYi, I just sent you a pm. I am "good to go for April" I have both weekends in question reserved now.

and I am not sure I second that opinion or not, that run was pretty "tame" ;)

NwiTACO
12-17-2008, 10:18 AM
You obviously didn't talk to any of my group after the first day of TO. Some wouldn't join me again on the second day...

You run the trails you got, know what I mean...

Bear
12-17-2008, 10:39 AM
I definitely understand. I am just afraid of myself now. Now having a D.D I am concerned with being a bit more reckless, and people have already accused me of being a bit on the "ridiculous" side already without a D.D.

I forgot we had you leading a 3+ group at T.o didn't we?

NwiTACO
12-17-2008, 12:09 PM
Yeah, we stuck mostly to the 4's, heard a little whinin, but the wambulance couldn't make it up the trail :D

natetru
12-17-2008, 12:15 PM
just put a set of 31 m/t atz........where is it exactly?

Bear
12-17-2008, 12:23 PM
well now that this thread is totally "done for" I guess Harlan can take center stage here. (notice the theme? LOL )

anyway, there are a lot of trails at Harlan I have not ran because the two times I have had my truck there, neither time it was 100%. so those trails you went on, are the type I want to run.

upper and/or lower damnation comes to mind. I have ran the lower rock garden a couple of times, but I have one particular line i want to run on it as well. Might even try that one trail next to railbed (rail bed is also another trail I want to run as well)

NwiTACO
12-17-2008, 01:44 PM

Badlands or Harlan, KY?

Hagan34
12-17-2008, 07:42 PM
upper and/or lower damnation comes to mind. I have ran the lower rock garden a couple of times, but I have one particular line i want to run on it as well. Might even try that one trail next to railbed (rail bed is also another trail I want to run as well)

dont think you have the Rig to do UD or LD.....

If I make it you better believe I'll be doing Cream Puff, the one next to rail bed, but depending on the winter/spring neither one of us may make it with out help.

Hagan34
12-17-2008, 07:43 PM

Attica, IN

can locate it on the InTTORA Map

95toyotan
12-17-2008, 07:46 PM

Badland's is in Attica, IN. Check out our map you should be able to see it plus more.

natetru
12-17-2008, 07:54 PM
thanx

Bear
12-18-2008, 08:47 AM
Brinner led his groups at T.O up to upper damnation and I believe everyone survived. I think we can make it in our rigs.

(Brinner please confirm)

AS for cream puff. If it is dry, I think we have a good shot. if wet, I have trouble on #2 rated trails there. :D

Hagan34
12-18-2008, 06:37 PM
Brinner led his groups at T.O up to upper damnation and I believe everyone survived. I think we can make it in our rigs.

(Brinner please confirm)

AS for cream puff. If it is dry, I think we have a good shot. if wet, I have trouble on #2 rated trails there. :D

yes i Took my Group of 3s through the trail the splits Upper and Lower, its a 3, UD and LD are 5s and we watched a few well built buggies having issues with the top of LD. but if you dont care about your body panels then you may be able to get it.

Cream Puff was unclimbed till the summer we went that it was so Dry. not sure anyone has made it since that summer either

Bear
12-19-2008, 08:12 AM
yes i Took my Group of 3s through the trail the splits Upper and Lower, its a 3, UD and LD are 5s and we watched a few well built buggies having issues with the top of LD. but if you dont care about your body panels then you may be able to get it.

Cream Puff was unclimbed till the summer we went that it was so Dry. not sure anyone has made it since that summer either

Even though there are plenty of extreme trails, I have yet to be on any that gave me major issues there. I am just saying I would like to change that fact.

NwiTACO
12-19-2008, 09:02 AM
Even though there are plenty of extreme trails, I have yet to be on any that gave me major issues there. I am just saying I would like to change that fact.

I'll bring my camera, and a can opener. :cool:

Bear
12-19-2008, 11:57 AM
I'll bring my camera, and a can opener. :cool:

camera is a good idea, but if the cage holds up, I doubt the can opener will be useful.:D

JC and I have this awesome line picked out for the lower rock garden, but last Aprils run my truck was already acting up (lack of power) and everyone knows about take over. So I haven't had a chance to run that line.

NwiTACO
12-29-2008, 05:12 PM
check this thread out:

http://emptypockets.proboards50.com/index.cgi?board=traildamage&action=display&thread=623

We gotta clean up our rep. :D

anybody know who the ohter yoda's are that they are refering to?

jason6746
12-29-2008, 06:28 PM
nice, i did take my bumper off the other day, straightened the the brackets and put it back on and its much better now.:D almost livable, i think i just need someone with a winch to pull a bit. also put some hella lights on, i got some pics ill post up on my bumper build thread.

NwiTACO
12-30-2008, 09:42 AM
If only someone had a winch...:D

jason6746
12-30-2008, 06:43 PM
if only somone did:D