: Feeler for a Supercharger 3.4

firestormtrooper
12-13-2008, 12:31 PM
Here's my problem, I'm looking at trading my 2000 Tacoma Ext cab for a 2001 Double cab but the DC has a supercharger. It runs well and all but I don't want the extra cost (fuel and maintenance) of running the supercharger. So I'm asking if anyone would like to help me trade out my supercharger for your stock intake and stuff? Not sure what all it entails but I figure that IF this does work out someone could get a supercharger for really cheap and I will get the truck I want with a little extra cash from the sale. Now mind you I'm not looking to get what people are asking for these things. I just want a little extra coin along with the stuff to return my truck to factory original. I'm not wanting to ship or anything. I figure someone Here in the State should benefit from this and why not a fellow TTORA member. I'm new and have met but a couple of you, well only IKE and PAKRAT but anyway I know this sounds crazy :eek: but.... Remember this is only if all this works out between the sale and trades. I'm not asking anyone to commit to anything but would someone be interested? I know whoever would have to check it all out and make sure but just getting a feeler. So thanks wish me luck especially if you have been looking for a supercharger for a little less money. Thanks

ike
12-13-2008, 01:17 PM
I may be interested. Does the new truck have any of the fuel mods?

Son of Mayhem
12-13-2008, 04:54 PM
I have the intake you can buy from me for $30 It has everything that came off when mine went on @ 30k. So it only has 30k miles. This way you can take yours off(Personally I loved every minute of mine.) and put my gear on so you can find the right buyer... Or timeframe to trade, etc.

firestormtrooper
12-13-2008, 05:43 PM
Ok thanks I appreciate that. Done

ike
12-14-2008, 12:03 AM
Sounds great. Let us know when you get rid of the charger, if you do.

fjcruzer
12-14-2008, 09:39 AM
Talk to Brian (thefatkid) before you swap it out. He's swapped and run several and will give you good info on the pros/cons.

ike
12-14-2008, 10:50 AM
As is usually the case he is the expert.

ike
12-14-2008, 11:04 AM
As is usually the case he is the expert.

packrat1
12-14-2008, 05:05 PM
I'd hold off a bit before trading out the S/C if i were you. The drivability is seriously increased in my opinoin, and the fuel costs are not that much more. I was getting 20 mpg around here regularly and its hilly (maybe that's also why I found it more drivable). Though you put premium in there. If you keep your foot out of it, its great. I kept mine with stock exhaust and just a K&N, some E3 plugs (OOOOO!) and an electric fan. And where is the extra maintence of the S/C other than an oil change at 50K?

Drive it around some!

Just my two cents. But I think if you do this, you really are crazy! :-)

Sorry if I break any deals

thefatkid
12-14-2008, 10:30 PM
The supercharger it's self doesn't require you to change your maintence or add new. At this altitude fuel mods over enrich the vehicle, stock fuel systems work good on most vehicles. My 4runner runs rich wide open throttle with a 2.1 pulley.

I would be happy to swap it off for you, if your intrested let me know. Also if you have a buyer it would be good to remove and install at the same time. I would also be intrested in another charger but money is tight now and I can't front much cash.

firestormtrooper
12-16-2008, 04:52 AM
I was pretty sure that some or most would think I'm crazy. I would be willing to give it a chance but I'm very much into longevity and reliability and I believe even with "moderate" driving there still has to be some more than a NA motor. The other part to this is the auto tranny, certainly, there has to be some consideration to its reliability and maintenace schedule. Correct me if I'm wrong ( I probably am) but with the added strain on the whole system in general wouldn't it be wise for me to do more PM? Thanks for everyone's opinion and I'm hoping to see you guys out on the trails (the easier ones)

ike
12-16-2008, 10:54 AM
Dont think it adds too much strain as toyota doesnt void their warranty when one is installed.

fjcruzer
12-16-2008, 11:02 AM
I was pretty sure that some or most would think I'm crazy. I would be willing to give it a chance but I'm very much into longevity and reliability and I believe even with "moderate" driving there still has to be some more than a NA motor. The other part to this is the auto tranny, certainly, there has to be some consideration to its reliability and maintenace schedule. Correct me if I'm wrong ( I probably am) but with the added strain on the whole system in general wouldn't it be wise for me to do more PM? Thanks for everyone's opinion and I'm hoping to see you guys out on the trails (the easier ones)

Much of this depends on how you drive. If you always hammer it, yes, more wear and tear, but there would be anyway. I have a S/C on my FJ and it is covered under warranty, including the ext. warranty I just purchased for 7 yrs 100K. If you were to put on something like a URD, you would have more cause to worry, since the warranty would likely be voided, but TRD is a Toyota product and designed to work within acceptable tolerances.

If you're like me, you will follow the maintenance schedule religiously to avoid some of the problems you have mentioned, especially if you beat your up the way I do mine and drive in the desert and such.

I'd give it a try for a few weeks, then decide if you are willing to shell out the $$ for high-octane and a little more diligent preventative maintenance.

RedRunnertc
12-16-2008, 11:49 AM
One other factor to consider here in CO is that the supercharger is basically taking you back to sea-level or a little better - where the rig was designed to run anyways...

packrat1
12-16-2008, 09:49 PM
The other part to this is the auto tranny, certainly, there has to be some consideration to its reliability and maintenace schedule.

the s/c never gave my auto trans a hard time while I was still with stock running gear, and I did not have the towing package fan either- which would probably pull more air. I usually ran it on ECT to keep the shift points a little higher, but no overheating.

I later added a cooler and guage, and synthetic fluids which is a good idea with an auto anyway, and did find that the aux cooler fan would come on while crawling on hot days. This prompted me to add nostrils to let air out of the hood.

Toyota did not put this package together to blow up engines - they warrantee it! It must be de-tuned to a certain degree for that purpose. Thats where URD picks it up.

I LOVE my s/c and wouldn't dream of removing it. I thought I'd hate the automatic trans though, but with the IPT stuff it rocks!

firestormtrooper
12-16-2008, 10:11 PM
If all works out I will give it a chance for a little bit. Maybe I was being hasty. Only time will tell but I do know that HP is addicting so I may become a junkie :eek:

ike
12-16-2008, 10:21 PM
I kinda hope you dont, but i have a feeling you will.

ksp04031
12-17-2008, 09:45 AM
If all works out I will give it a chance for a little bit. Maybe I was being hasty. Only time will tell but I do know that HP is addicting so I may become a junkie :eek:

If hp is addicting, like crack. Does that mean you're a junkie if you suck c@ck for more HP?

firestormtrooper
12-17-2008, 08:38 PM
STOP!!!!!! Unless you like being tapped out. ;)

RedRunnertc
12-17-2008, 08:51 PM
It ain't gay of your balls don't touch

ike
12-17-2008, 11:27 PM
Now you guys are scaring me.

ksp04031
12-19-2008, 04:11 PM
It's not gay if you don't make eye contact.

firestormtrooper
12-23-2008, 02:35 PM
You just worry about keeping your neck away from my arms because if not you will be wondering what happened to you while you were OUT napping!:D