: newbie here

99sr54wd
12-14-2008, 09:02 PM
hey, y'al

tony here, i just arrived here in Indy from Los Angeles earlier today. i've been around most of the popular toy forums but mainly on YT and Ultimateyota.

i have a 99 4Runner, and i'm looking for a reputable alignment shop locally 'cause it pulls to the left badly.

here is a little more about me and my runner's profile in the sig.:

http://www.ultimateyota.com/index.php?option=com_smf&Itemid=26&topic=6043.0

95toyotan
12-15-2008, 08:07 PM
Welcome, Which side of town are you on?

Are you stayin in INDY or are you goin back to LA ?

99sr54wd
12-15-2008, 09:19 PM
northeast side of the town and i'm staying here for good. but kinda miss the weather back in LA thou.

Fuod
12-15-2008, 09:26 PM
Hello Tony! Were you born and raised in CA or have you lived in Indiana before? If not, you're going to hate the weather here... :D

As far as alignment shops, my favorite one when I lived up there was in Westfield, but that would probably be too far away from you.

If you do find one that you think did a good job, be sure to post the information in the "Off road shops in Indiana" thread stickied in this section.

95toyotan
12-15-2008, 09:48 PM
Can't really help you with an alignment shop, I usually stick to a stealership for that. There is Obrien toyota on the north east side of town though.

99sr54wd
12-16-2008, 12:05 AM
well, my old work place is in the process of shutting down completely, and the wife got a decent job here, that's why i moved.

back in LA, i'd never ever trust a dealer to do alignment jobs no matter toyota or not, because i've never seen one donw right at dealers, period. lots people liked the Firestone lifetime alignment deal, but the few Firestone shops i went to, none of the people i talked to seem know squard when i asked the word "toe-in"(is that "towing" what you just said?). plus, only 1/3 of them speak english. what about the shops here?

the closest dealer is Butler Toyota, that's where the wife bought her RV4.

here is a picture of my 99

http://i172.photobucket.com/albums/w38/tonniechengca/_MYT0141.jpg

as for wheeling, grew up in southern cal, i hate mudding, running sand dunes and quiet forest service fire road are my thing. pretty much the easy, relaxed type.

i can't wait to meet with you guys and get out burn some gas, but gotta fix the alignment first. it's my DD, too.

take care. and, damn the time difference, i'm still live on pacific time......

NwiTACO
12-16-2008, 08:04 AM
Welcome to InTTORA! I'm up in Northwest Indiana, so I can't help you on the alignment, but I hear you on the fact that it is very hard to get anyone who knows wtf they are doing nowadays, anywhere!

Bear
12-16-2008, 08:24 AM
Greetings Tony, there is an alignment shop in Plainfield (Art's Alignment if I remember right) if that is not too far for you. I'll have to look up the name for you as it has been a while since I have been by the place myself.

I know they align many civil service vehicles as well as vintage/hot rod types.

I took my SAS there after completing it, and they refused to work on mine as they said that the axle was not in "spec" for either a jeep nor a toyota, so I have not been back since.

There is also another alignment shop on the edge of downtown Indy. I believe the name of that shop is Mark's alignment. It is on capitol. I'll have to confirm all of this as I have not driven that way in a while either.

As for the second shop, I can't confirm their "quality" as I have never used them either. But I can say they have been in business for a while. I think they have an establishment date on their sign of 195something if I remember right.

Let me know if you are interested in either place and I can get you better information on either or both of them, as the one down town is around the corner from my office and I live in the next town over from Plainfield and could drive by if needed.

Fuod
12-16-2008, 01:14 PM
Tony, I've added you to the InTTORA map, you can view it here:
http://maps.google.com/maps/ms?ie=UTF&msa=0&msid=104577187093630649035.00045d93d5cdc8fd7b964

If I put you in the wrong area let me know, but it doesn't have to be exact. within a mile or so is OK.

View the Map thread here (http://www.ttora.com/forum/showthread.php?t=118602) if you have any questions about it.

Hagan34
12-16-2008, 07:28 PM
here is a picture of my 99

http://i172.photobucket.com/albums/w38/tonniechengca/_MYT0141.jpg

where was this Picture snapped? Look familiar.

99sr54wd
12-17-2008, 08:59 AM
thanks folks, i'll try to call these shops after the roads opened up. i'm still learning how to drive in the snow and on ice.

that place the picture was taken was in Glennwood Canyon, Co. it's called "No Name Rest Area". i was listening on the CB with bunch of truckers all after noon talking about the road conditions and the big snow storm approching. that place was the last stop i made before getting into the good stuff, just to put on my winter gear and make sure everything inside was nice and tight not flying around.

Bear
12-17-2008, 09:13 AM
Well take it slow and easy. I am just now getting a little more comfortable driving in this crap myself! and I have been here about 5 years now.

Feel free to ask away if you need anything else we might be able to help with. I am sure if we dont' have the answers, we will find the solution one way or another.

NwiTACO
12-17-2008, 09:16 AM
So you guys are the ones I'm always passing...:driving:

Bear
12-17-2008, 09:40 AM
doubtful! I am usually inside where it is safe and warm. :o

Hagan34
12-17-2008, 12:01 PM
thanks folks, i'll try to call these shops after the roads opened up. i'm still learning how to drive in the snow and on ice.

that place the picture was taken was in Glennwood Canyon, Co. it's called "No Name Rest Area". i was listening on the CB with bunch of truckers all after noon talking about the road conditions and the big snow storm approching. that place was the last stop i made before getting into the good stuff, just to put on my winter gear and make sure everything inside was nice and tight not flying around.

Thats where I thought it was, wasnt sure if it was No Name or Grizzly Creek.

May have of even seen your truck. could have crashed here to let the weather blow over.

99sr54wd
12-30-2008, 12:41 AM
just FYI, i called couple local shops from the phonebook, well, i did make an appointment with Matt's alignment ship on N. Capital(not mark's). seems it's the only one who really knew what they are doing. what i did was asking a "trick" question which is "whatever the cost of $$ is, is that for a 2-wheel alignment or a 4-wheel job? dave from Matt's replied immediatly, "that 99 4Runner you have is two wheel ajustment only, so 2-wheel only."

i'll let you guys know the result soon.

99sr54wd
12-30-2008, 07:52 AM
DAMN!!! looks like i have a bigger problem than an alignment. i think the tranny F#$% 'd up. i'll have it checked out by Titus Transmission (sponsor of TTORA), keep my fingers crossed (i hope it's just the clutch).

NwiTACO
12-30-2008, 08:39 AM
Hope you get it figured out.

99sr54wd
01-08-2009, 05:20 PM
well, i went to the shop today and had a little chat with Chris the owner. he showed me the guts of the tranny. the problem was the shop back in Cali put the Marlin HD clutch backwards thus caused the bearings to fail. i don't really understand the technical details of what happened and i'm looking at a $1,500 repair bill. basically he's gonna replace all the gear bearings and syncro rings, OEM parts of course. the clutch disk before the Marlin had only 10k miles on it, also OEM, so Chris would replace the backwards one with it.

damn!! that goes my ARB locker money.

Fuod
01-08-2009, 05:41 PM
Dude, that sucks! Good luck with the repairs!

Full_Tilt_Fud
01-08-2009, 08:25 PM
just FYI, i called couple local shops from the phonebook, well, i did make an appointment with Matt's alignment ship on N. Capital(not mark's). seems it's the only one who really knew what they are doing. what i did was asking a "trick" question which is "whatever the cost of $$ is, is that for a 2-wheel alignment or a 4-wheel job? dave from Matt's replied immediatly, "that 99 4Runner you have is two wheel ajustment only, so 2-wheel only."

i'll let you guys know the result soon.

I can tell you right now they don't know what they are doing if they are telling you that you only need a 2wheel alignment.

yes.......only the front of your runner' is adjustable........however if you only do a 2 wheel alignment all they are doing is aligning the truck to an imaginary line runing down the center of the truck whereas if you do a 4 wheel alignment the machine takes the rear axle into account and ensures that both axles are following the same path down the road instead of taking idividual paths which can happen if you align the front to the centerline.

you want a 4 wheel job........it is the only way to make sure you eliminate all tire wear and possibility of pulling......my:2cents:

Bear
01-09-2009, 07:22 AM
Can't really help you with an alignment shop, I usually stick to a stealership for that. There is Obrien toyota on the north east side of town though.

I heard a rumor last week that O'brien might be closing. :eek:

Bear
01-09-2009, 07:32 AM
Tony, I am sorry to hear about the problems, Chris knows his shit though! next time you are talking to him, tell him you know me (might raise the bill some :D ) but he will take care of you. Chris turned the knuckles on my axle when I SAS'd it as well as installed my ARB and does all the work on my truck when needed. (not only just gears and tranny work but everything).

His shop is around the corner from my house so the next time you are out at the shop let me know and we can possibly meet up for a beer or something.

I also neglected to have you send me or Brinner contact information so that we can add you to the chapter roster, I know you are tied up right now worrying about the runner, but when you get a chance please do so.

99sr54wd
01-20-2009, 01:59 AM
hi, folks.

i just came back from a week of "hide a way from the freakin' cold" in Vegas and Los Angeles. put 50 bucks on the Cards +3.5 over the Eagles, that's all i played in vegas and that's all i won. finised up the trip last night by shooting a bucket of range balls 10pm at a LA golf course in tee shirt and shorts and sandles. it was in the mid 80's yesterday afternoon, too hot to stay outside, i got dragged by my buddy with his kids to Paul Getty Center, just to see the 7th most expensiven painting in the world, "Irises" by Van Gogh. honestly, i didn't understand what the F&^% that thing was about, i still don't.

back to the 4Runner, it's still at the shop, i will probably get it back in couple days, last time i saw him i was told it would be a $1500 job, he's gonna re-buid the tranny with new bearings and syncrp rings on all the gears. it would save me some money if i go with a junkyard tranny, but it's a big ? if the gears are in a good shape or how long it's gonna last. neither the shop won't backup the parts.

bear, i'll let you know when i pick it up. maybe you can help me talk down the price just a tad.

Bear
01-20-2009, 06:49 AM
Well I would help you talk the price down if I was able, But I know Chris is pretty stout when it comes to negotiating. :D

99sr54wd
01-20-2009, 10:02 AM
Well I would help you talk the price down if I was able, But I know Chris is pretty stout when it comes to negotiating. :D

j/k.

i don't bargin with my doctors and neither mechanics.

Bear
01-20-2009, 11:21 AM
yea, well my wifes care might be right next to you vehicle if I can't get the damn tranny to stop leaking!

and he loves working on kias!

99sr54wd
01-21-2009, 08:21 PM
called chris today, i was told the work won't be done till next monday, turned out the parts he received were wrong. the truck has been parked outside in the shop's yard since Dec. 30th. should i be concerned the cold weather?

Fuod
01-21-2009, 08:37 PM
called chris today, i was told the work won't be done till next monday, turned out the parts he received were wrong. the truck has been parked outside in the shop's yard since Dec. 30th. should i be concerned the cold weather?

If your coolant is in good shape you shouldn't have anything to worry about. Maybe you can ask them to start it and let it run a little every couple days?

Just a thought...

NwiTACO
01-22-2009, 07:04 AM
I wouldn't worry, it's a yota. As DC said, as long as your coolant is in good shape (not a rad full of water) you should be fine. They may find a dead battery in it when they go to move it...:2cents:

99sr54wd
02-04-2009, 12:58 PM
finally got my car back, but there's a leak on the exhaust at the flange between the muffler and cat, right after the bank2 O2 sensor. i took a look at the FSM, there's a gasket in between, so i don't think it's a big deal as long as i can get lose the bolts, it's PB blaster time!!

well, it has be extactly 5 weeks. we'll see how it works.

NwiTACO
02-04-2009, 01:01 PM
Good to hear you got it back!

You should get a motivational poster to help you get that leak fixed...:D

Bear
02-04-2009, 01:11 PM
No, that is an easy fix! I just replaced my entire exhaust from that O2 sensor back and after soaking the two bolts with "blaster" it is an easy fix, 20 minutes tops after taking the bolts out, drinking a beer and then installing the gasket and tightening it up.

99sr54wd
02-11-2009, 09:48 PM
Well, it has been good news, good news and bad news days after I got the 4Runner back.

First, changing the exhaust gasket was piece of cake, I had it done less than 20 minutes. second, alignment is NOT needed my 4Runner. I was planning putting on new tires before the alignment, a fresh set of BFG A/T KO tires did the trick, it tracks straight and steady now.

here comes the bad news, the steering pump squeaks like a pig starting Monday afternoon, at the mean time, the steering wheel feels heavier than before and it makes jittery noise when turning, I have only heard that kind of noise before when the wheel is turned all the way. errrrr.....

Bear
02-12-2009, 07:17 AM
unfortunately it sounds like the steering pump to me. I had a pump go out on me in my 97 tacoma, and found a replacement at LKQ for $92. Might be worth looking into them.

99sr54wd
02-12-2009, 10:51 AM
i did find a PSP on LKQ for $85 with 72k miles. but after a search, yes, i do use "search", found a thread in the newbie tech section about flushing the PS fluid. i will try that route first see if ATF solves the problem.

Bear
02-16-2009, 07:41 AM
How did the flushing work out? Hopefully it wasn't too messy for you ;)

99sr54wd
02-16-2009, 11:34 AM
thanks for asking.
you know what, i was gonna flush it, but in the process of getting my chemicals unpacked(got a whole case shipped over from CA), found a tiny bottle of Lucas PS treatment. got about 1 oz of that stuff in there, let the motor run about half hour, next morning, it's all good.

i think the problem was the truck sitting outside from from late Dec. to early Feb, 5 weeks at Chris' shop during the coldest time of the year, something happened to the fluid or air mixed in there or the seals got stiff.

anyhoo, i'm gonna switch to ATF before summer, but for now, i really don't want to mess with it.

99sr54wd
02-23-2009, 08:56 PM
ERRRRRRR......

since i picked it up i have only driven about 250 miles, most of the time i drove the wife's gas saver RAV4. the gas mileage has just been horrendous, 14mpg combined hwy and local. the engine noise has been increasingly louder and louder specially when the under load when in 4th and 5th gear over 2000rpm. so friday afternoon, i got under to check it out. then i found out one of the exhaust supporting brackets was missing, gone. FYI, on a 99 4WD California spec 4Runner, there is an exhaust supporting bracket(bracket #3 on the FSM) to support the extra cat converter which bolted on top of the tranny crossmemeber. without the bracket and the rubber ring to hold the pipes up, the flange started to drop, now i can see a small gap between the flanges at the bottom.
i called Chris and stopped by today, talked to the tech who did my rebuild, no one remember "there's that thing up there when they took the crossmember out to get the tranny".
well, i greased the drive shaft grease fittings before i left california, if that bracket was missing at that time, i would have noticed back then. well, since nobody at the shop remembered to install the rubber ring, so i didn't lose it after it's out of the shop.

Chris did offer me to make something to hold the pipe in a later date because the shop is full. but if the home made braket isn't just PERFECT, it will create tensions between the flanges and cause the gasket to fail sooner or later, i don't know how he could make it just fit. on the other hand, i don't wanna suck up $50 bucks to buy the bracket, ring and bolts from dealer.

it just sucks!!!

on the way back form the shop i saw this, almost peed my pants.

http://i172.photobucket.com/albums/w38/tonniechengca/IMG00217.jpg

i stopped by Ominisource, a big ass scrap yard to buy some steel plates to make a welding table, i was turned away by bunch of cops at the entrance on West street. apparently, there was an investigation by the state police of them buying stolen goods.

what a day... just need to vent.

Bear
02-24-2009, 06:52 AM
the photo is steam rising from one of the plants on the South side, I see that every morning on my way to work.

That particular one maybe the coal plant next to the old RCA dome in the heart of down town, but I am not certain.

Sorry about your rough day, but don't feel like the lone ranger! Been having a pretty crappy year so far myself!