: Installing a topper

Tmorrison
06-17-2005, 11:17 AM
I just bought a used ARE z-series topper and have never installed on before. I want to get it as water tight as possible and won't be removing it. Its the clamp set up. (04 double cab)

My question is should I just lay some foam tape on the top rail and then topper and clamp down? windshield caulk?

Is hooking up the third brake light difficult and how?

TacoCrazy
06-17-2005, 11:51 AM
I just bought a used ARE z-series topper and have never installed on before. I want to get it as water tight as possible and won't be removing it. Its the clamp set up. (04 double cab)

My question is should I just lay some foam tape on the top rail and then topper and clamp down? windshield caulk?

The "camper top" foam tape can be laid either on the bed rail or on the top itself, usually a quality version is sufficient enough to seal..If you plan to leave it on permantly you may want to caulk it, but I'd try the foam tape route first..

Trevor 3blacktoys
06-17-2005, 03:46 PM
10-4 on the foam tape........should seal fine....
fyi-If you do plan on taking it on/off on a regular bassis........I found it easy to mount some hooks in the rafters in the garage and then use some 2x6's (2) on each end w/ adjustable tie downs on all 4 corners.......you can take on/off in about 20min. by yourself......
Trevor

qball
06-17-2005, 07:36 PM

The third brake light is pretty easy, you tap into the taillight assembly and splice into the brake light wire, took me like 5 minutes total.

oregonmoss
06-17-2005, 09:14 PM
Is there a place in the taillight assembly to tap in for the overhead light in the canopy?

qball
06-18-2005, 09:14 AM
Is there a place in the taillight assembly to tap in for the overhead light in the canopy?

I don't think you want to do that unless you want to have to turn your lights on to use the overhead. I have run the overhead light yet, haven't had a need for it. YOu probably want to run it into the engine compartment and into the fuse block.

Tatunka
06-18-2005, 09:58 AM
There is a hole in the rear of the bed under the bed rail that you can put your wires through (drivers side). Ditto on the hooking the overhead to the fuse block or just wire it to a +12 and turn it off when you aren't using it. I bought a extra fuse block that mounts in the engine compartment to run my lights and other stuff off of, no more spaghetti in the fuse box.

oregonmoss
06-19-2005, 12:56 AM
Thanks for the info. This board is great.

aquacryptid
06-20-2005, 09:56 PM

-Put the foam on the canopy if you plan to remove the top from time to time.

-Sometimes you need to double the tape on the front lip and about three inches down the sides. Try to use one piece of tape for each layer. (ie: first piece wrapping just the front, second piece wrapping the whole thing from rear corner to rear corner) try to wrap the corners, force the tape to bend, snipping off the inside portions that bunch up when you bend it........dont snip off too much, just enough so when you push it down the edges meet (ideally).......................OR .............

-Go to a canopy shop and see what type of 'mounting seals' they have. My Innovation has a rubber / neoprene(?) type of molded seal which seems very good. It is glued to the bottom of the cap with contact cement...........................OR.........

-Look into garage door seals (for along the ground / door contact)....I'm not sure but I think this type of seal is the same as I have on my topper.

-Sometimes a third clamp per side (middle) helps.

-Not all leaks are from the base rail. Tighten up the window screws...EASY don't strip 'em. If the windows don't have putty tape they can often be easily removed and retaped. OR you could just silicone the heck out of 'em.

I used to build / install canopies............my current one leaks :D through the door seal though:o

Oh yeah........what do you folk out there call it?..........canopy, topper, cap ...other?

oregonmoss
06-21-2005, 02:41 AM
If you go for a used canopy be aware the extended cab and standard cab rear profiles are NOT the same. The standard cab is vertical while the extended has some curve to it. I got a screaming deal on ebay on a Leer canopy off an extended cab that matched my paint, but it doesn't fit my standard cab. It fits enough to keep using it, but not enough for me to constantly be annoyed by it.