: What should I choose...

4Runner_Girl
12-18-2008, 07:54 PM
I know I am not going in order but I would really like to get a rear locker on
my 4Runner...Its a 2000 and you guys seem to know better then myself on what kind is in there already...

I have looked at Detroit Soft Lockers but am seriously have a bad luck finding what I need due to lack of knowledge on Lockers...Like I said before I wanna learn but I need guidence...So I asked Quickdraw and he gave me some suggestions...I am looking for a rear locker right now in time maybe a front locker...

I have also looked on other forums and sites...

Lockrite, Detroit, ARB...To let everyone reading this know ARB is probably not going to be it...Does anyone have a soft locker? What am I looking for? What do I need to know? Lockrite how do they work?

Thanks for your imput...

When are we having another HOW to finish my diff fluid? And so I can do some welding?

Hagan34
12-18-2008, 08:06 PM
I know I am not going in order but I would really like to get a rear locker on
my 4Runner...Its a 2000 and you guys seem to know better then myself on what kind is in there already...

I have looked at Detroit Soft Lockers but am seriously have a bad luck finding what I need due to lack of knowledge on Lockers...Like I said before I wanna learn but I need guidence...So I asked Quickdraw and he gave me some suggestions...I am looking for a rear locker right now in time maybe a front locker...

I have also looked on other forums and sites...

Lockrite, Detroit, ARB...To let everyone reading this know ARB is probably not going to be it...Does anyone have a soft locker? What am I looking for? What do I need to know? Lockrite how do they work?

Thanks for your imput...

When are we having another HOW to finish my diff fluid? And so I can do some welding?

i had a lock- rite for switching to my arb. it was good, but with the lightness of my rear it was basicly a spool, and was very fun on wet roads.

with the extra weight of the runner it shouldnt be as bad. think they run around $300-$350. easy to install too. :D

4Runner_Girl
12-18-2008, 08:15 PM
i had a lock- rite for switching to my arb. it was good, but with the lightness of my rear it was basicly a spool, and was very fun on wet roads.

with the extra weight of the runner it shouldnt be as bad. think they run around $300-$350. easy to install too. :D

were can i find one?

Gerdo
12-18-2008, 08:24 PM
Save and get an ARB. You won't be sorry!

I have never driven a auto-locker but I hear that they can be a handful in the snow.

mrdoug
12-18-2008, 08:29 PM
Why not look for an e-locker third? I bet your truck is already wired for it like Nate's was...

Hagan34
12-18-2008, 08:33 PM
Save and get an ARB. You won't be sorry!

I have never driven a auto-locker but I hear that they can be a handful in the snow.

just have to learn how to drive one, easy on the gas on wet roads. coast in to tight turns in you can, IE parking spots.

were can i find one?

http://eastcoastgearsupply.com/i-128197-tacoma-lockright.html

there are plenty of others, im sure 4 wheelparts has them as well. the one above is a TTORA Sponsor

Quick Draw
12-18-2008, 08:34 PM
She would need the entire axle assembly, not just the 3rd because the 8" 3rd won't fit in the 8.4 housing. And finding one of those in a 4Runner variety is difficult.

mrdoug
12-18-2008, 08:52 PM
She would need the entire axle assembly, not just the 3rd because the 8" 3rd won't fit in the 8.4 housing. And finding one of those in a 4Runner variety is difficult.

I assume you mean for the e-locker.. and yeah, I was talking about the 8.4 third with factory e-locker from a junkyard/recycler. Wouldn't be as easy as finding an ashtray or something along those lines, but might be worth a few calls.

I'd recommend starting with the usual Jim's/yota yard but also including places like the loveland auto-recyclers who don't necessairly specialize in toyotas like the others, but do specialize in later model vehicles only. When I was pricing out 3.4's the loveland place was in line with what yota yard and jim's was quoting me and they aren't as well known so you might strike gold. There are others along these same lines, but I don't have the names off the top of my head.

I guess I'm just picturing something a little more factory like since she doesn't seem to be on track with building the ultimate rock crawler right out the gates.

Hagan34
12-18-2008, 09:03 PM
Why not look for an e-locker third? I bet your truck is already wired for it like Nate's was...

was going to say that too but figured if she didnt want an ARB then figured the TRD was out also.

RedRunnertc
12-18-2008, 10:00 PM

No she wouldn't - 4Runners have the 8", converting to a TRD housing would be a PITA because you'd be going from leaves to links...

As for ARB - you;ll have to pry mine out of my cold dead hands.

mrdoug
12-18-2008, 10:03 PM
Doh, guess my thought process was way out.. carry on.

RedRunnertc
12-18-2008, 10:09 PM
Elocker was an option on 3rd gens, if you could find one, it would bolt right up, but as mentioned, they are kinda rare.

AxleIke
12-18-2008, 11:16 PM

She has an 8" third. There is no issue.

thenexus
12-18-2008, 11:26 PM
I'd say try and find the an entire axle that is already equiped with the elocker and pull the wiring from the axle to the body, you can then get a control harness from inchworm for the rest of it or you might try and see if you can get one of ORS harness if they are still avabible (questionable since they are closing). This is what I did on my 96 when I stumble across one an elocked axle in a salvage yard.

Swapping the third from an elocked axle to a non elocked axle is do able but a pain in the butt since you have to modify the housing a bit to clear the third memeber. Still have to get the wiring harness though.

Here's a writeup on swapping in a elocked third member into a non elocked axle:

http://www.4runners.org/writeups/elocker/

An ARB locker is a good choice as well, might be a little less hassle.

Just my 2 cents, from the peanut gallery. Hope it helps some.

4Runner_Girl
12-18-2008, 11:48 PM
just have to learn how to drive one, easy on the gas on wet roads. coast in to tight turns in you can, IE parking spots.

http://eastcoastgearsupply.com/i-128197-tacoma-lockright.html

there are plenty of others, im sure 4 wheelparts has them as well. the one above is a TTORA Sponsor

And this one you have the site for would it fit in my housing?

Quick Draw
12-18-2008, 11:53 PM
She has an 8" third. There is no issue.

Really.....hmm...well you runner guys know best. I guess I just assumed they swapped over to the 8.4 on the third gens since the Tacos had been running it even before that. Even still with the e-locker 3rd member, she would have to modify the housing...

4Runner_Girl
12-18-2008, 11:54 PM
Doh, guess my thought process was way out.. carry on.

Haha lol...I just remembered is it going to be a PITA to even do it? I was reading the E locker post from someone and it reminded me of changing my diff fluid...haha 3rd of 4th step pull fill plug first then the drain plug....oh man what a day....

thenexus
12-18-2008, 11:57 PM
Here's another writeup for you, on the retro fit elocker

http://www.sonoransteel.com/phong/retrofit_electric_locker.html

AxleIke
12-19-2008, 12:58 AM
retrofitting the housing is pretty straight forward. Especially for Sam now that she is a welder.

AxleIke
12-19-2008, 12:58 AM
Really.....hmm...well you runner guys know best. I guess I just assumed they swapped over to the 8.4 on the third gens since the Tacos had been running it even before that. Even still with the e-locker 3rd member, she would have to modify the housing...

Yeah, that taco thing was a real pain. Pretty silly too, as there isn't much increase in strength, and so many of their other trucks were/are 8".

Hagan34
12-19-2008, 07:21 AM
And this one you have the site for would it fit in my housing?

It should be, but should varrify with someone else. pretty sure the 96-2000 Tacos and Runner are the same 3rd.

devinsixtyseven
12-19-2008, 09:20 AM
You could also just pick up a lunchbox locker and run it until you know how much $ & time you have for this project. The drop-ins work well enough, Pete has one. He might not particularly like it, but it wheels.

Eventually, selectable is the way to go, however you choose to do it.

fjcruzer
12-19-2008, 11:27 AM
IMO Sam, you are likely to be driving more on than off-road and I think a selectable locker will suit you better, especially since the number of times you will actually need a locker on the trail is pretty limited. I'd take the time to find an e-locker, or invest in an ARB. Take your time with your build plans or it will just end up costing more... trust me, I know! :2cents:

dotcom
12-19-2008, 12:02 PM
i run a lockrite in the back of my 91 pu and it runs just fine on wet roads, if they get icy it can kick out a bit but i just drop it in high 4wd and it drives just like it wasn't there. no problems it pulls great and they are cheap. i am going to put an arb in the front however so i can turn it off when necessary as my experience with arb's in the jeep off road was turning was hard when the locker was on so it was nice to be able to shut it down in tight spots

4Runner_Girl
12-19-2008, 01:49 PM
IMO Sam, you are likely to be driving more on than off-road and I think a selectable locker will suit you better, especially since the number of times you will actually need a locker on the trail is pretty limited. I'd take the time to find an e-locker, or invest in an ARB. Take your time with your build plans or it will just end up costing more... trust me, I know! :2cents:

what if for the time being an automatic might work until i get enough cash to get an ARB or a e-locker is found....I think that might work better...cause I would at least like one before spring/summer....

and at the same time also kinda going with minimal armor....not all tricked out but some for the time being...I know i need one...

AxleIke
12-19-2008, 02:45 PM
Everyone gets into this situation: You want it soon, but the good stuff is too expensive.

My suggestion is: There are quite a few people who have auto lockers. Meet up with one or two, and take the truck for a spin around the parking lot, or even around the block.

If you feel like you are fine with the auto locker, get one. If not, save and buy the ARB.

Don't do something twice. That is just silly.

Gerdo
12-19-2008, 03:19 PM
I would gestimate, I havent priced lately, the costs of an ARB are:

ARB Locker ~$750-$800
Compressor (ARB HO) ~$225
Gasket and sealer ~$10
Lube ~$8

If someone here can setup gears then the install cost is cheap.

Something to think about also is some diff armor at the same time. I figured since I had my 3rd out when I installed my ARB I would toss some on. I went with the sSky-Manufacturing (http://www.sky-manufacturing.com/new/detaproduct.php?id=78) one. It welds on but with the oil/3rd out what better time to do it. My first time out with the cover I hit it, lightly but there was a mark on it. I had to massage the cover to fit (no big deal) and drill a hole for the e-brake cable.

thefatkid
12-19-2008, 03:38 PM
I would get some armor first. You need time to tune your skills as a 4wheeler before you get a locker. Many people use lockers as bandaids to cover poor driving skills/experience (not saying your driving is bad, just don't make that mistake). As you learn to drive farther without a locker your skills on tire placement will improve. When you have mad skills without a locker, then add a locker you will get "Mrs. walks it all" COTTORA award becoming a true badass and driving circles around Nate!

I would recommend a selectable locker for your 4runner. The auto lockers seem to not like the link suspension. I had issues with dog tracking and rear sway as the locker would disengauge while driving straight. I added the e-locker after the lockrite and have been happy with my open differential decision (as I just now this week wired it after not useing for a year).

AxleIke
12-19-2008, 04:40 PM
I would get some armor first. You need time to tune your skills as a 4wheeler before you get a locker. Many people use lockers as bandaids to cover poor driving skills/experience (not saying your driving is bad, just don't make that mistake). As you learn to drive farther without a locker your skills on tire placement will improve. When you have mad skills without a locker, then add a locker you will get "Mrs. walks it all" COTTORA award becoming a true badass and driving circles around Nate!

x100 billion. Well said Brian. Absolutely a great idea. Drove with no mods except front and rear bumpers for 4 years.

Not saying I'm a great driver, but it certainly helped A LOT. No lockers helps you get a real feel for your truck, and for the dynamics of wheeling, like weight transfer, which end of your truck works in what situations, and how to pick a line.

There are a lot of folks out there who can't drive worth a damn, and have no clue how to pick a line, but look good on the trail because they have a lot of bandaids.

Quick Draw
12-19-2008, 04:44 PM
I personally plan on running ARBs front and rear. I considered a Detroit rear with an ARB front to save a few extra bucks. But that actually comes out to almost the same price, because 4WP is running a buy 2 lockers, get a free compressor deal right now.

Theoretically I could find e-locker 3rds, and put them in, right? Those 3rds are a bitch to find though...not to mention 2...

AxleIke
12-19-2008, 06:29 PM
I personally plan on running ARBs front and rear. I considered a Detroit rear with an ARB front to save a few extra bucks. But that actually comes out to almost the same price, because 4WP is running a buy 2 lockers, get a free compressor deal right now.

Theoretically I could find e-locker 3rds, and put them in, right? Those 3rds are a bitch to find though...not to mention 2...

No. Elocker thirds are very easy to find. Give yourself a month or so to find decent ones online on ebay or craigslist. You should be able to get them for about 400. 600 if its been geared.

RedRunnertc
12-19-2008, 07:21 PM
High pinion elocker is the hot setup for SFA, Kyle. ~30% stronger than low pinion. Elockers are not at all hard to find - Marlin, Inchworm, and Randy's have them in stock ... of course, you're gonna pay for that convenience.

Shop around - seems someone is always running a package deal, buy the locker, get the compressor free

4Runner_Girl
12-19-2008, 11:01 PM
Hmm...well now that I am thinking about it waiting and getting a E Loker might work best?

4Runner_Girl
12-19-2008, 11:26 PM
What kinda transfer case do I have?

RedRunnertc
12-20-2008, 02:42 PM
Is it a V6 or 4Cyl? Manual transmission, right?

Gerdo
12-20-2008, 08:21 PM
When I was researching lockers I did find two. They were just yanked out of wrecks. They were $500 ea, 3rds. I wanted to have it gone thru by a gear shop and they wanted $150 to check for damage and setup. I didn't want someone elses problems. I would think that I would have been refunded the $500 but the $150 I would have to eat. $500+$150= close to the price of and ARB w/o the compressor. Not a big enough savings for me. The ARB locks and unlocks FAST.

Just my :2cents:

RedRunnertc
12-20-2008, 09:50 PM
When I added it up, I was comparing locked front/rear with OBA and the ARB setup was the same price as an elocker or detroit in the rear and a Trutrac in the front plus a compressor.

You can find elockers for $350 pretty commonly, but they're almost all 4.10, so you might have regearing cost too.

ike
12-20-2008, 10:31 PM
I would save up for an ARB. Wheel alittle more and make sure you really want to spend the money. Build some armor along the way.

4Runner_Girl
12-20-2008, 11:36 PM
Is it a V6 or 4Cyl? Manual transmission, right?

yes v6 manual...

00regcab
12-21-2008, 05:05 AM

Get an e-locker for the rear, and ABSOLUTELY do NOT look back.

I would highly suggest saving the $$$$ for re-gearing and locking the front, via ARB locker.

My lockright is great, but it makes so much noise at anything above 10mph, and its not really 'streetable' in winter hardly at all. Yes, it helps with snow/ice. No, its not HALF as bad as people make it out to be (or how they get themselves into sliding off edges on snow covered trails, i do not know :rolleyes: ). I really wish i would of just saved for a selectable front.

Also, just my :2cents:, if you haven't wheeled hard enough to need armor yet, you probably shouldn't be looking into a locker. Thats just my opinion, and suggestion though. Take it as you will.

00regcab
12-21-2008, 05:07 AM
When I was researching lockers I did find two. They were just yanked out of wrecks. They were $500 ea, 3rds. I wanted to have it gone thru by a gear shop and they wanted $150 to check for damage and setup. I didn't want someone elses problems. I would think that I would have been refunded the $500 but the $150 I would have to eat. $500+$150= close to the price of and ARB w/o the compressor. Not a big enough savings for me. The ARB locks and unlocks FAST.

Just my :2cents:

Thats almost the cost of an arb, yes.

Problems are:
its not near the cost of the install.
almost NOBODY knows how to set them up properly in Colorado (plumb the air lines).

Im not fond of arb's for that reason (hardly anybody knows how to do a GOOD install on them), but it will (in the long run) be my option for the front.

AxleIke
12-21-2008, 12:16 PM
Thats almost the cost of an arb, yes.

Problems are:
its not near the cost of the install.
almost NOBODY knows how to set them up properly in Colorado (plumb the air lines).

Im not fond of arb's for that reason (hardly anybody knows how to do a GOOD install on them), but it will (in the long run) be my option for the front.

Hmmm..

I installed both of my ARB's. No issues in 20k. None. No air leaks, no problems with the lockers not engaging, no problems with gears.

Quick Draw
12-21-2008, 12:36 PM
Hmmm..

I installed both of my ARB's. No issues in 20k. None. No air leaks, no problems with the lockers not engaging, no problems with gears.

Hmmm...wanna help me? :D

ike
12-21-2008, 07:59 PM
Thats what i was thinking.

Gerdo
12-21-2008, 08:33 PM
Hmmm..

Sounds like we have a resident ARB installer! Thanks AxleIke.

I did install my complete built 3rd w/ARB, compressor and air line. Other than my tywraps breaking allowing my air line to rest against my exhaust.

dotcom
12-21-2008, 09:27 PM
if you want to drive my truck around the block a bit you can it has the lockrite in the rear

4Runner_Girl
12-21-2008, 09:32 PM
Yeah I know...and Nate I have decided to build me own armor...so thats not the issue..or buy some that i found that are good and for 3rd gen 4runners that will cost about $335 for the sliders alone....

00regcab
12-22-2008, 01:06 AM
Hmmm..

I was referring to shops more so Isaac. I know there are a few people on this board that have installed them with good luck. But i know troys had tons of air issues with his, as well as done.

Not sure who set troys up, however.

Either way, I'd look into some armor first. I know it made wheeling A LOT more fun for me, personally. I only picked up my gears and lockers, since at the time it was a deal I absolutely could not pass up; at a very small amount more than a new e-locker housing, and i also got a front locker, and gears with it.

RedRunnertc
12-22-2008, 08:12 AM
I originally had the lockers installed by a shop in Ohio, I did the compressor and the air lines. Really, I have had them about 3 yrs now, and last year was the first I had any trouble. I have never heard of anyone having the bonded seal lock up like mine... you have to factor in that my truck seems to be cursed too...

AxleIke
12-22-2008, 08:52 AM
I have to agree. I think the best course of action is to armor, and drive it for a while. The armor will give you peace of mind, and allow you to try stuff you wouldn't with exposed stuff.

You'll want the armor anyway, and the experience will be invaluable.