: RedBird Info

mpiercey
12-21-2008, 09:32 AM
Welcome to the second edition of the Redbird Newsletter, as I told you in the last edition I had hoped to have some good news to report,so here it goes. For those who didn't know the DNR State Parks Division will over see the day to day operation of the park on January 1st. What this means to the user groups, is that now when you check in at the gatehouse, you will be greeted by a friendly DNR employee. What else you can expect to see is grounds that are mowed and maintained weekely, restrooms that are cleaned daily and a overall upgraded look to the park.

This is a great thing for Redbird and the Redbird Management Group, it will relieve the management group of operation of the gatehouse and free us up to do more trail maintainence and building, event planning and in general let us focus on improving the park.

Going forward the Redbird Management Group wiil be known as the Redbird Foundation. We have filed the paperwork with the State and Federal Goverment to become a true non for profit group. What this means to the user, is that all donations be it money, equipment, labor for trail work,the purchase of shirts and decals, will be 100% tax deductable. This means that when your group or club come to do Adopt a Trail maintainence, that your mileage and expences will be a write off for you or your group.

The Redbird Foundation will now focus on events, fundraising, grants, and other means to raise funds to put back into the park. Now 100% of of all the money rasied will be put back into improving the riding area and not for things like insurance, forms, armbands, utilities,etc., things that the management group had to purchase in the past.

As for now Redbird will be open to the public on Sunday, December 28th and we will also have a New Years Day Hangover Run on Thursday, January 1st. After that Redbird will be open by appointment only till the last weekend in March, contact a member of the foundation to set up your rides during this time Jan. 2nd thru Mar. 27th. Then Redbird will open 5 days a week, Thursday thru Monday. Look for more extended hours in the summer as the days grow longer and the attendance warrant the area staying open longer.

95toyotan
12-21-2008, 03:05 PM
And a question, Rule #8 says all vehicles must have overhead/rollbar protection?

Fuod
12-21-2008, 04:09 PM
And a question, Rule #8 says all vehicles must have overhead/rollbar protection?

I could be wrong, but I think that just means you can't chop the top off your truck then run it on the trails. If you do, like the removable tops on Jeeps, then you have to have a roll-bar.

95toyotan
12-21-2008, 05:24 PM
:doh:

Gotchya, Thanks!

Bear
12-21-2008, 05:44 PM

that is one of those 'generic' rules most parks have. It is geared toward off roarders driving open cabbed rigs such jeeps and fjs. kind of an aniquated rule since most of the chapter have full bodied rigs this rule does not apply.the last time i ckecked, badland's has the same rule.

NwiTACO
12-22-2008, 09:23 AM
Anyone going to the hangover run? Long drive, but I think I could do it?

Bear
12-22-2008, 09:35 AM
I would like to go anywhere with my truck and soon. but with this damn cold weather, it is hard to work on the truck since it won't fit in the garage.

But If I do get a chance in before New Years. I'll go, but it is doubtful.

brinner
12-22-2008, 10:19 AM
im out cause im not in state. otherwise i would love the chance to go tour Redbird for next seasons run.

natetru
12-22-2008, 08:29 PM
anyone been here before? as usual my ? is can i go in a stock height truck and enjoy myself?

Fuod
12-22-2008, 09:16 PM
I'd be up for that, but I'm not sure yet if I'm going to have plans on New Years day. :confused:

Fuod
12-22-2008, 09:21 PM
anyone been here before? as usual my ? is can i go in a stock height truck and enjoy myself?

You can view the trail info here:
http://redbirdsra.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=15&Itemid=33

I would think on the "More difficult" trails our stockers would probably get through, but if not careful we could take some damage.

Maybe MPiercy or someone else with some experience at this park will chime in and correct me.

brinner
12-22-2008, 10:15 PM
yeah, ive seen the website but i can never really get a ..............."feel".....for a place that way........if you know what i mean.:D

NwiTACO
12-23-2008, 09:15 AM
Anyone? DC-when you gonna know if you got plans? If you don't by now, then I think you've got plans to be at RedBird!

natetru
12-23-2008, 10:52 AM
i will know by the weekend. looks like a pretty long drive for me, but my location makes badlands and haspin long to......63 to haspin, 80 to badlands, 120 to redbird

natetru
12-23-2008, 10:57 AM
is anything going on in badlands on jan 1? seems like most wouldnt have to drive as far

Fuod
12-23-2008, 11:50 AM
Anyone? DC-when you gonna know if you got plans? If you don't by now, then I think you've got plans to be at RedBird!

Lol :lmao:

Well, it's not as easy as that. I've already asked the "boss" of the house if I can go and she said yes. But I got that look, so I don't know whats going to happen when I start walking out the door on the 1st... She's my brothers wife, not mine so it shouldn't make any difference. But, you know how woman are... Can't live with 'em, can't kill 'em...

natetru
12-23-2008, 11:55 AM
yea, i hear ya. im trying to convince mine we should go.....hopefully sez yes by weeks end

brinner
12-23-2008, 01:01 PM
my main bitch always says yes when i ask if i can go wheelin'...........

and of course by "main bitch" i mean my dog.....which is a female so its a 'bitch'.. :D

NwiTACO
12-23-2008, 01:38 PM
Lol :lmao:

Well, it's not as easy as that. I've already asked the "boss" of the house if I can go and she said yes. But I got that look, so I don't know whats going to happen when I start walking out the door on the 1st... She's my brothers wife, not mine so it shouldn't make any difference. But, you know how woman are... Can't live with 'em, can't kill 'em...

My favorite is when they say, "I don't care, you're gonna do what you want anyways..." That's right I am bitch! (Although I am currently single and have been for quite a while, so I really don't ask anyone!) :D

See ya next week, good to hear she said you could go.

DN1911
12-23-2008, 05:52 PM
my main bitch always says yes when i ask if i can go wheelin'...........

and of course by "main bitch" i mean my dog.....which is a female so its a 'bitch'.. :D

good save!

natetru
12-26-2008, 09:38 AM
anyone decide if they are going on jan1? i am allowed :) let me know so i can plan on meetin some of you.....

NwiTACO
12-26-2008, 10:14 AM
I am in. I have never been to Redbird. Should be about 3 1/2 hours for me to get there. I may go down on new years, or head into Indy for new years and go in the morning. But as stated, I am down for wheelin! We'll figure things out beginning of next week. Have a good one.

natetru
12-26-2008, 10:45 AM
sounds good... i think my drive will be about 2.5 hours or so, but i plan on going....ordering my 2 inch toytec lift and shocks today so i will get to wheel b4 and after....woohoo......anything special i need to bring?

jason6746
12-26-2008, 07:24 PM
i might be able to go, let you guys know beginning of next week.

95toyotan
12-27-2008, 01:49 PM
My piggy bank's runnin alittle low after christmas,but Mark will take good care of ya out there along with jason if he goes. Somebody remember to take a camera so we can see what some of the trails look like!

natetru
12-27-2008, 05:06 PM
great....

natetru
12-28-2008, 03:29 PM
dn1911......you goin thurs?

NwiTACO
12-29-2008, 09:00 AM
great....

Thanks for the vote of confidence! :D

Anyhow, what to bring? A snatch block if ya got one, maybe a tow strap. I've got full recovery gear, including a winch so I think we'll be ok. Bring lunch as we usually stay on the trail (don't really know about the trails there though), spare tire, the usuals...oh and a cb radio. I'll figure out a meeting place near there. details to follow

Oh, dustins rig is out-of-order, I don't think he's going unless he's riding with jason if he comes...Jason, you out there?

natetru
12-29-2008, 09:05 AM
i am definatly a newbie.....i dont even kno what a snatch block is! i dont have a cb either....maybe i need to look at gettin one.

NwiTACO
12-29-2008, 09:53 AM
A snatch block is basically a pulley. they can be used to redirect winching anchor points, or to multiply the linepull of the winch. Don't worry about any of this yet, we will be having a techinical session on winching/recovery coming up in the next few months. Cb's are nice to have on the trail, I have an older Cobra 29LTD, but if I had to do it again I would just get a handheld to throw in the truck when I need it instead of a larger permanent mount like I have now. Just my :2cents:

jason6746
12-29-2008, 09:59 AM
just a spare tire, cb, and strap should get you by. i think mark and i will have every thing else needed
Jason, you out there?
yes i am out here somewhere in vacationland
do you still have my phone number?

NwiTACO
12-29-2008, 10:58 AM
Yep, i got it. Just trying to see who's coming, and whether or not to meet up on the way down (if convenient) of just meet up at the park or a diner in town.

I updated the placemark on the InTTORA map so if it is used for directions it will bring you to the park, not just the town.

natetru
12-30-2008, 10:03 AM
i think i have to skip this trip....my new toytec lift and shocks will be here fri or sat and i dont wanna go out thursday and tweek something i will have to fix b4 i can install the lift....hopefully you guys wana go somewhere again soon!!!!

NwiTACO
12-30-2008, 11:24 AM
all that hype for nothing...pshhh! :cool:

Doesn't matter, I'm still going. Don't know what would "tweek", actually it would probably help break some rusted shit loose! :lmao:

Jason you're in fa sho right?

natetru
12-30-2008, 12:04 PM
hmmm...damn

natetru
12-30-2008, 12:16 PM
you guys drive your dd down there? what happens if you break 3 hours from home?

Fuod
12-30-2008, 02:02 PM

That's why I only go on the easier trails (that, and I'm still stock). If I had another truck and a trailer I'd beat the crap outta my Taco! :D

I wouldn't worry about "tweaking" anything on the stock suspension since your getting ready to replace it anyway (or are you going with spacers?). And the rest of the truck will damage just as easily with the lift as without. Well, maybe the extra clearance will save the undercarriage.

I'm really excited about going! If I'm allowed, I may have to bring the dog... But that's just icing on the cake! :p

jason6746
12-30-2008, 02:04 PM
Jason you're in fa sho right?
yup still going

thats why we drive toyotas:D

Fuod
12-30-2008, 02:06 PM
yup still going

thats why we drive toyotas:D

Good point! Why didn't I think of that... :D

jason6746
12-30-2008, 02:07 PM
so you will meet us there right:driving:

jason6746
12-30-2008, 02:11 PM
Yep, i got it. Just trying to see who's coming, and whether or not to meet up on the way down (if convenient) of just meet up at the park or a diner in town.

I updated the placemark on the InTTORA map so if it is used for directions it will bring you to the park, not just the town.

how are you going down there? i am going down 25 south.

NwiTACO
12-30-2008, 03:00 PM

As prev stated by Jason:

That's why we drive Toyota's!

You really just get a mini vacation for a few days while you're out of town, trust me I know, and I learned alot about the capabilites of my truck that day...never had a problem since now I avoid too much skinny pedal.

Jason-For me, it's really no choice. 41 south to 54 east. How far you takin 25 south, to 28 or all the way to 74?

natetru
12-30-2008, 04:18 PM
when will you pass 28? i plan on leaving my house at 830 and i live on 28 5 miles east of sr 37. ....lets see what this truck will do! hope i am still welcome !

jason6746
12-30-2008, 04:58 PM
sorry i ment 231 not 25 and i take it down to 54.
my dad and uncles and i go fishing every year down in that area
i am not sure what time im leaving yet, but ill figure it out tonight and tell you.

jason6746
12-30-2008, 05:06 PM
it opens at 9:00 am what time you guys want to meet?
heres a link to their site.
http://redbirdsra.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=18&Itemid=40

natetru
12-30-2008, 06:17 PM
i would meet you at 28 n 231 but cant be there until around 930.....

jason6746
12-30-2008, 06:41 PM
i will let mark chime in but driving that far i want to wheel as much as possible, but thats me. so i want to try to get down there close to when it opens.

natetru
12-30-2008, 07:18 PM
i understand. got a buddy thats supposed to be meeting me at my house and that was as early as he could..... i will figure it out when u guys kno what u r doin

NwiTACO
12-31-2008, 08:47 AM
I am planning on arriving at the park at just before 9:00, for a full day of wheeling. It does not sound like a caravan is convenient, so i will just meet at the park. I'm not sure if it will work out there, but I will pm natetru my phone # to call when he gets close to the park.

btw it looks like they are having a chili cook-off!:D-maybe we can scam some nice hot lunch....

jason6746
12-31-2008, 08:52 AM
okay i will plan on meeting you there at 9:00 am, can you sent me your # also thanks.

natetru
12-31-2008, 10:20 AM
Nw... saw your pm b4 coming to thread... when will you guys be passing sr28? i can shoot over and meet you there and follow south?

NwiTACO
12-31-2008, 10:28 AM
You all are still an hour ahead of me, so I'll be leaving about 4 am my time, 3 1/2 hours according to mapquest, should make it by 9, maybe even time for breakfast :)
Looks like no parties tonight...but even better, get to wheel tomorrow!:driving:

Fuod
12-31-2008, 02:59 PM
Does anyone have an SWR meter they can bring? I don't want to spend $30+ for one and only use it one time.

natetru
12-31-2008, 03:01 PM
what is swr?

Fuod
12-31-2008, 03:09 PM
what is swr?

It's used for tuning CB antennas.

jason6746
12-31-2008, 03:30 PM
Does anyone have an SWR meter they can bring? I don't want to spend $30+ for one and only use it one time.

i dont but i need one also

NwiTACO
12-31-2008, 03:42 PM
My cb has an internal (built-in) swr meter for calibration/testing but I've heard you should use a seperate one when tuning you radio. So I guess that would put me in the same catagory.

natetru
01-01-2009, 07:06 PM
holy smokes that was good fun

Fuod
01-01-2009, 08:26 PM
Yeah, it was a good time! I really want to thank Nwitaco, Jason and Nate for being so cool even though I screwed them out of an hour (damn time difference! :mad:). I had a great time, not to mention this is the first time I came home from a run with no damage! :kewl:

I learned a few things today:

If you're the trail leader you can go anywhere you want and apologize later
Always put your truck in neutral when rolling backwards down a hill
The Baconator is OK, but I really couldn't taste much bacon
Nate is in the process of converting from a blazer to a yota, so we need to watch him! :D
Rumor has it Hoss is actually a really nice guy until he gets on the web :D

Give me some time to get the pics off my cam. I didn't get too many, but I'll post what I have. If anyone wants a copy of the GPS tracks let me know.

NwiTACO
01-02-2009, 08:55 AM
New thread under events for recap...