: E-brake ideas

vwfastg60
01-01-2009, 04:42 AM
So i have a few choices with the truck. I can either replace the stock E brake OR i can do something like this

http://www.spidertrax.com/s.nl/it.A/id.620/.f?sc=2&category=215

What do you guys think? I want a reliable E brake and Will have to add a bracket on the frame that was part of the Tbar mounting but i will have to fab something up for this...

Anyone use one before? The cost is about the same for a used cable from a yard or to buy this. I cant afford a driveline ebrake right now so this will be the answer for now.

RedRunnertc
01-01-2009, 07:21 AM
I have heard of people using them before, but it doesn't seem right to me ... what if the pressure bleeds down? What if you have a hydraulic issue? The thing to me about the mechanical ebrake is that its basically a redundant system - pretty much no matter what happens, you have SOME brakes.

Here's another thing though ... with as built as your truck is, you REALLY need to consider a full-float conversion on the rear axle, and that will require some consideration of a driveline ebrake too...

devinsixtyseven
01-01-2009, 11:54 AM
looking for an emergency brake or a parking brake?

1st one needs to be completely separate from the service hydro system

line locks will work fine for a parking brake.

i've had to use the mechanical e-brake on my truck in an emergency. very few emergency brakes will hold a truck with big tires on a steep hill and nothing works as well as big oem drum brakes.

are you only missing a cable, to hook up your existing mechanical brake?

vwfastg60
01-01-2009, 12:05 PM
More of a parking brake. The cable on my set up now was torn in half almost a year ago when my U bolt broke, So now i can pull it but if the lockers not on the truck rolls still.

ike
01-01-2009, 09:27 PM
y not just replace that cable?

vwfastg60
01-02-2009, 02:08 AM
They always seem to be gone or cut at yards and even when they work they dont seem to work well with heavy rigs. I may wind up doing it tho cause i was looking at it and running the brake line under the drivers side is going to be a pain.

ike
01-02-2009, 08:57 AM
For yours, all of the cables should be avalible at Napa. I cant seem to find any of them for the 79 though, everyone claims they dont have them anymore.