: order of modifications?

-dustin
06-20-2005, 01:40 AM
this is what i have on the plate:

32x11.50 tires

15x8 wheels

2 - 3" lift

in what order should i proceed? i'm thinking wheels, lift, tires...yea or nay?

also, i think i might have a hookup for some 15x8 87 series Rock Crawlers (which is why i'd like to go wheels first, since i know they fit), but i am so lost on backspacing. i don't know if i should go with a 4" BS or a 3.75" BS. i do not want rubbing issues at all. from what i was told today, lifting the truck will bring the wheels inward, which was news to me, in which case, should i opt for 3.75" BS? if i go with wheels first, would that create any issues (truck is a 99 4x4) on my non-lifted truck for the time being? i know these are really newbie questions...sorry.

hossmaster
06-20-2005, 04:52 AM
I would either get the tires or the lift first. I believe that with 3.75" or 4" backspacing will rub the inner fender where the pinch weld is. I had that problem with my dbl cab running 16x8 rims and 265/75/16 tires with 4" backspacing. They would rub the hell out of that area until I went in there with dremel and a hammer. Turning while compressing the front wheel will catch all of that plastic in there and make all sorts of impressive sounds. Now that I have a lift, all of that rubbing is gone and I don't have to worry so much about rubbing while stuffing a wheel in the wheelwell. So I would get the lift first or get the tires check fitted with your current setup for rubbing and fitment. Then get your rims with whatever BS you want and it should all work out with a little bit of modifing.

Tmorrison
06-20-2005, 08:18 AM
I would get the rims - If you have stock tires you should be fine - 265/75/r16 will rub - just normal driving. I would get the lift then tires.

I got wheels and tires and they rubbed under normal driving - hate it with a passion - added the lift (hoes/deavers) and no rubbing - all good.

atwinda
06-20-2005, 09:42 AM
lift, then tires. Also I'd strongly consider getting silders before you do anything else (that is of course if you plan on actually spending time in the rocks).

-dustin
06-20-2005, 09:48 AM
lift, then tires.

would wheels come first or last?

sliders will be thrown in somewhere. sliders and bumpers. this isn't going to be anything quick...it's going to take a while. just trying to get suspension figured out since that will have the most dramatic effect.

atwinda
06-20-2005, 11:07 AM
If your wheels will work with the tires you want, then get them last. I really really really suggest you get some sliders first, then lift, then tires. If you have protection you are set to wheel- lifted or not. If you have lift and no silders, then you are going to be worried about smashing your rockers all the time. We have a few people in socal that hang in there with no lift and just sliders.

hawaiianbro
06-20-2005, 11:20 AM
Then get your rims with whatever BS you want and it should all work out with a little bit of modifing.

:confused: Backspacing plays a huge role in rubbing issues!!! :eek:

But with 3.75 BS should be ok, but there will still be rubbing.

sploosh
06-24-2005, 11:16 AM
Get the lift first. Then you can see how much clearance you're going to have for the tires and you can test fit a wheel if you have to. Look on wheeler's for some cheap steel wheels. And I second the motion for sliders so you don't mash up your truck. Tires also make a huge difference in off road performance so you might want to do that second, then get your wheels when you can, if you just want them for cosmetic reasons. :2cents: