: Vacation is overů

Bear
01-07-2009, 08:51 AM
Okay, I know you all enjoyed my vacation as much as I did, seeing that I was not on the board once in the last two weeks, but I am back now! Party is over.

need to start getting back to business, a few loose ends that we are going to focus on tying up are the new website, and the sweatshirt order.

We will keep you informed on both when we have developments.

As for the website contributions, I appreciate everyone pitching in, I do not have any of the final tallies but I believe we are short of our projected goal. Every bit helps in this economy so if you can do anything at all to contribute please do so.

on the sweat shirts, I honestly felt I would have an estimate on the cost by the time I got back but I do not. I will follow up on that ASAP and report back with what I get.

I am glad to see a few new members as well as the other regulars keeping the post numbers flowing. And the redbird run looks promising in regards to having some future runs out there as well.

I know the next month or two is going to be cooler weather wise, but if anyone needs help with any repairs or mods, we need to speak up so we can all be back on the trails soon. Jeep Crasher made a lot of good progress on his project over the break, but unfortunately I did not. I also noticed Nate is expecting a lift to arrive soon so Nate, if you need help sing out. same thing with DC when your stuff comes in as well.

NwiTACO
01-07-2009, 09:59 AM
We were wondering if you were gonna come out of hiberbation!

Fuod
01-07-2009, 10:16 AM
It's good to have you back Bear! The number of off-topic posts has dwindled without you around. :D

I found a place in town that'll install the lift for me for a pretty reasonable price, so hopefully I'll be doing that soon... Maybe...

Ever noticed whenever you finally have the funds to buy something you've been waiting a long time for that something else always breaks? Yeah, some of the wiring in the kitchen bit it a little while ago so now I have to pay an electrician to come in and fix it... If the electrician isn't not too expensive I'll be ordering the lift soon.

NwiTACO
01-07-2009, 10:21 AM
What happened to the electric? 110 or 220?

Bear
01-07-2009, 10:24 AM
It's good to have you back Bear! The number of off-topic posts has dwindled without you around. :D

I found a place in town that'll install the lift for me for a pretty reasonable price, so hopefully I'll be doing that soon... Maybe...

Ever noticed whenever you finally have the funds to buy something you've been waiting a long time for that something else always breaks? Yeah, some of the wiring in the kitchen bit it a little while ago so now I have to pay an electrician to come in and fix it... If the electrician isn't not too expensive I'll be ordering the lift soon.

you know you sig lines are a P.I.T.A when viewing the board from a phone screen? LOL

I was keeping tabs on things from my phone while I was gone, but it was too much of a pain to try and type on my phone so I just quietly monitored.

and I definitely know the feeling of everything breaking around you when you finally decide to drop the hammer on a deal. Why do you think my truck sits without a starter? I was going to put one in last week while I was off and hopefully get the truck running again, but the dryer the cheap ass contractor put in the house when we built it died so it needed to be replaced more than I need my truck running. so guess which one won out.

If you have the shop install the lift for you, make sure and take the truck back at their prescribed duration in order for them to re-torque all bolts. It is always very important to do so when working with suspension as you probably already know.

Fuod
01-07-2009, 10:25 AM
What happened to the electric? 110 or 220?
110. The circuit that handles the garbage disposal and the outlets on the counter popped and when we reset it some pretty sparks fly out of the circuit breaker box. I removed the disposal and the outlets from the circuit and it still blows, so the wiring has melted somewhere. This house is 100 years old this year and some of the upgrades done weren't quite up to code!

Bear
01-07-2009, 10:36 AM
110. The circuit that handles the garbage disposal and the outlets on the counter popped and when we reset it some pretty sparks fly out of the circuit breaker box. I removed the disposal and the outlets from the circuit and it still blows, so the wiring has melted somewhere. This house is 100 years old this year and some of the upgrades done weren't quite up to code!

Cha ching!:2cents::(

NwiTACO
01-07-2009, 10:56 AM
Just wondering. I have alot of experience with residential electric. You may have a short somewhere (melted ins.) But it sounds like the breaker may be bad, or the short is in the breaker box. Sparks would'nt fly out of the breaker panel if the short was elsewhere. I would try replacing the breaker first. What type of breakers are they (brand?)

Fuod
01-07-2009, 11:01 AM
Just wondering. I have alot of experience with residential electric. You may have a short somewhere (melted ins.) But it sounds like the breaker may be bad, or the short is in the breaker box. Sparks would'nt fly out of the breaker panel if the short was elsewhere. I would try replacing the breaker first. What type of breakers are they (brand?)

Thats a good point! If this was my place I wouldn't hesistate to swap out the breaker myself, but it's my brothers house and I would just feel better having this fixed proffessionaly. Besides, the outlets in the kitchen aren't even grounded, so yet another reason to have it done right. :saw:

And before anyone asks why I'm paying for a repair in my brothers house, it's just an unwritten deal we worked out some time back.

NwiTACO
01-07-2009, 11:04 AM
Besides, the outlets in the kitchen aren't even grounded, so yet another reason to have it done right. :saw:

Add GFCI equipped outlets. may need to run a ground to them if the wiring is not in grounded conduits.

Just remember, professionals seldom (almost never) do things the right way.

Fuod
01-07-2009, 11:09 AM
Add GFCI equipped outlets. may need to run a ground to them if the wiring is not in grounded conduits.

Nope, no conduit. Not even a junction box! :o

Hence the reason I want it done right. Burning the house down is not a pleasant thought, especially if there is damage to the wiring!

Now you're just scaring me! :eek:

btw, sorry about ruining your thread Bear! :D

Bear
01-07-2009, 11:13 AM

X2! on everything Mark said!

I am by no means an electrician, although Momma Bear was married to one before and knows much more than I do on the subject/ IO do have extensive remodeling experience. I would say that replacing a new breaker is not rocket science. I have done it a couple of times in our new house. If you are careful you don't even need to cut the power to the box, but I suggest doing so.

on the GFI's do you have any others in the house at all? if so, tie that circuit into the one with the GFI's and replace the outlets and you are finished. Also not a complicated task if you have existing wire.

I fully understand your agreement with the bro. so no questions from this side. But knowing your electrical "prowess" I think this is within your capabilities.

Fuod
01-07-2009, 11:17 AM
X2! on everything Mark said!

I am by no means an electrician, although Momma Bear was married to one before and knows much more than I do on the subject/ IO do have extensive remodeling experience. I would say that replacing a new breaker is not rocket science. I have done it a couple of times in our new house. If you are careful you don't even need to cut the power to the box, but I suggest doing so.

on the GFI's do you have any others in the house at all? if so, tie that circuit into the one with the GFI's and replace the outlets and you are finished. Also not a complicated task if you have existing wire.

I fully understand your agreement with the bro. so no questions from this side. But knowing your electrical "prowess" I think this is within your capabilities.

I've replaced breakers before, both 110 and 220 and I've done them hot and cold. It's the wiring that worries me, if there is a melted wire somewhere that is just a fire waiting to happen!

This old house has a lot of problems, the previous owners half-assed everything! You would laugh your ass off if you saw the 30 foot routing of the dryer vent!

Bear
01-07-2009, 11:18 AM
You just had to bring up the dryer again didn't you! :mad:

NwiTACO
01-07-2009, 11:18 AM
Nope, no conduit. Not even a junction box! :o

It's not that ancient cloth covered romex is it?

Good luck pulling new wiring for that ciruit.

Fuod
01-07-2009, 11:23 AM
You just had to bring up the dryer again didn't you! :mad:

Again? :confused:

It's not that ancient cloth covered romex is it?

Good luck pulling new wiring for that ciruit.

I'm not sure whats behind the walls but as old as the house is I'm sure it'll be a pain in the ass!

To give you an idea why I don't even want to deal with it, whoever put the outlets in the kitchen used that spray foam insulation stuff to hold the outlet in place. :confused::mad: I don't want to get involved in this and find more engineering like that!

Bear
01-07-2009, 11:44 AM
yea again! but I will be damned if I can find the post I first referenced it in.

recap: I did not work on my truck over the last two weeks like I wanted to because I was waiting on the funds for the starter. figured after Xmas I would have the funds for it which meant this last week would have been the time for me to work on the truck and get it running again. But as soon as I was going to buy the starter, the dryer that came with the house went out and I had to use the money for the truck to buy a new dryer!

NwiTACO
01-07-2009, 11:45 AM
I hear ya. Just may not be so cheap once they rip open the walls...just tryin to scare you. he'll prolly remove the breaker, do a continuity test on each wire to be sure of no shorts/grounds, then swap out a new breaker. if you upgrade to outlets/wiring, walls will be opened. BEWARE!

I really just want you to get that lift done! :D

Fuod
01-07-2009, 11:54 AM
I really just want you to get that lift done! :D

Amen brother! :kewl: :D