: Driveline Clunk?

FattyB
01-21-2009, 06:04 PM
I have had (since i got the truck a year ago) a "clunk" from the driveline. Feels like the driveshaft has play in it or it kinda catches and releases at stoplights. This is only when i come to a stop, mostly harder stops, and then when eccelerating from the stop. Someone on the run on yankee (sorry forgot who) said to put some grease in the yoke (or that grovey area on the driveshaft where the two pieces come together. What type greese should i use? Just reg. automotive greese? Anyone else had a similiar issue? Thanks!

Note: truck is 2.7L-auto (no laughing:D), with no mods to rearend or suspension.

00regcab
01-21-2009, 06:35 PM
could be axle wrap as well.

just use a standard grease for u-joints, wheel bearings, etc.

RedRunnertc
01-21-2009, 06:41 PM
Yep - I use the red MP grease. You shoot it into the zerks - there will be one at each u-joint and one on the driveshaft itself for the slip yoke. You only need ~5 pumps on the grease gun for the slipyoke - you don't want to see it coming out - waaaay too full then!

My vote is a bad u-joint though.

ike
01-21-2009, 08:30 PM
I agree with Troy on the u-joint idea. Get under there and start trying to twist all of the joints. I have a feeling you will find one with some play.

thefatkid
01-21-2009, 08:44 PM
Common issue with auto trucks. you need to do a couple of things to make it less clunky.

1. adjust your rear brake shoes, if your brake bellcrank (parking brake cable arm) on the backing plate moves over 1/8" adjust your brakes till it only moves 1/8" when the parking brake is applied.

2. remove your driveshaft, mark your "phase" of the slipyolk, seperate the slipyolk, clean all the old grease out and inspect the splines, if there is a sharp edge on the tip of the splines file them down smooth and rounded, find the best molybased grease and lube the shaft, line up all your marks and reassemble, grease all your u-joints, grease the slipyolk through the zerk being carefull no to add too much and put the splines in hydrolock, drive and see how it feels.

If that doesn't work you might need a rebuild for spline wear.

ziggy428
01-22-2009, 11:38 AM
I had the same problem. Driveline would make a metallic clunk whenever you put it in gear. Fixed a blown U-joint and its gone.

FattyB
01-23-2009, 05:43 PM
I had the same problem. Driveline would make a metallic clunk whenever you put it in gear. Fixed a blown U-joint and its gone.

Hmmm sounds like it. It's rarely audioble (sp?), mostly just "felt" through the driveline. U-joint sounds like a likely culprit. Thanks guys, time to start twisting some things down there huh? Are U-joints fairly easy to repair by the layman? Anybody remember a approx. cost of the u-joint. Thanks!

Taco_Man
01-23-2009, 08:29 PM
I don't know about price but if you don't mind having some one else do them with a bit of a drive I would check with Ron at Boulder Driveline.

Lysmachia
01-24-2009, 01:21 PM
I would have a pro do the u-joint or at least someone who has done it before. (It involves a BFH and maybe some small prybars if you are gonna do it on your own). If you need a repair and we can't help take it to Ron at Boulder Drive Line. Tell him you are with TTORA. Pay cash and it seems to be cheaper.