: First things first!

McCannon
06-23-2005, 10:00 AM
Okay before I get to my question I'm sure this has been covered numerous times but I havent been able to find.

I am very new to 4x4ing and am wondering what order I need to install mods as I can afford them. I'm thinking probably a 3-3.5 inch lift, brush guards, Off road tires and rims, protective plates......

I wish to do moderate off roading a couple times a month, and will be mostly using the vehicle as a daily driver. I will keep my street rims and tires and switch out with the off roads when I want to go have fun that way I compromise my street driving as little as possible.

Current setup: stock 2005 TRD Sport V6 Acc cab 4x4 with 6-speed man trans. See truck here....My introduction (http://www.tacomaterritory.com/forum/showthread.php?t=12114)

So what do I do first? Second?.....thanks for being patient and understanding...

themariachi
06-23-2005, 10:26 AM
1. adjustable coilovers, leaf pack, rear shocks
2. tires, wheels
3. body protection as needed

search for lots of good stuff

McCannon
06-23-2005, 10:54 AM
1. adjustable coilovers, leaf pack, rear shocks
2. tires, wheels
3. body protection as needed

search for lots of good stuff

I assumed with a leaf pack that I'd need shocks for both front and rear. Is that incorrect?

themariachi
06-23-2005, 11:18 AM
I assumed with a leaf pack that I'd need shocks for both front and rear. Is that incorrect?
yes...but that's what the coilovers are for...(i.e. front lift)
do a search for danahoe, swayaway (SAWs), kings, or camburg.
you will need extended rear shocks for the rear with the leaf pack
do a search for deaver and you will find some good stuff

McCannon
06-23-2005, 11:24 AM
man you guys need a page on the site with just common definitions. ;)
Thanks for the help.

McCannon
06-23-2005, 12:00 PM
yes...but that's what the coilovers are for...(i.e. front lift)
do a search for danahoe, swayaway (SAWs), kings, or camburg.
you will need extended rear shocks for the rear with the leaf pack
do a search for deaver and you will find some good stuff

After doing some searching and reading it seems that these things you are talking about are for faster driving off roading. I could be wrong and misinterpereting some of the posts I read but I may want to clear up my off roading desires with this vehicle.

My wife and I like to travel and see the sights that regular paved or dirt roads may not go to. I'm not talking hardcore rock crawling but some stuff that a stock 4x4 may have some difficulties with. I'm not going to be going fast or jumping anything, but going over some moderate obsticles that are in the way of our adveture.

lets see if I've got this right....coilovers are for the front and a leaf set with a new shock for the back? Sorry I'm sounding so stupid but I have to start somewhere.

atwinda
06-23-2005, 12:18 PM
man you guys need a page on the site with just common definitions. ;)
Thanks for the help.

Our site has an extensive tech/faq section (link in the upper right). http://www.tacomaterritory.com/wiki/index.php/Technical_Terms That is a list of technical terms to start you off :)

McCannon
06-23-2005, 01:11 PM
Our site has an extensive tech/faq section (link in the upper right). http://www.tacomaterritory.com/wiki/index.php/Technical_Terms That is a list of technical terms to start you off :)

DOH! :xsmash: just refer to me from now on as super can't get a clue noobie.

themariachi
06-23-2005, 02:42 PM
After doing some searching and reading it seems that these things you are talking about are for faster driving off roading. I could be wrong and misinterpereting some of the posts I read but I may want to clear up my off roading desires with this vehicle.

My wife and I like to travel and see the sights that regular paved or dirt roads may not go to. I'm not talking hardcore rock crawling but some stuff that a stock 4x4 may have some difficulties with. I'm not going to be going fast or jumping anything, but going over some moderate obsticles that are in the way of our adveture.

lets see if I've got this right....coilovers are for the front and a leaf set with a new shock for the back? Sorry I'm sounding so stupid but I have to start somewhere.
it is true that a custom leaf pack and some quality coilovers will increase the truck's ability to take bumps and such over a higher speed, but it also helps in overall ride quality and offroad performance. This is all true if you choose a quality setup. I'm sure you don't want a super stiff ride on your daily driver. Some go with spacer lifts, which does give you a lift, but at the price of a much stiffer ride. If you go with a nice coilover set, quality rear shocks, and a rear leaf pack the ride does get a bit stiffer than stock, but its favorable. My SAWs ride nicer than stock and the bil 5100s are great. I can't wait to get some deavers and take off my aals. you already spent the money on a tacoma, if you're gonna do some mods to it...do them right the first time.