: Oil Exchange to purchase new 1-GRFE 4.0 ENGINE!

NwiTACO
01-22-2009, 01:31 PM
Well, got my oil changed on sat. at oil exchange. This is the only work I do not do myself to my truck (dont ask why, just lazy, and its as easy as a drive-thru). My oil filter sits on an angle, with a "drip pan" which runs alongside it. After tthe "tech" was done he said that this drip pan was packed with ice and snow and that "a couple drops of water" might have gotten in the engine. I checked the dipstick and found no signs of moisture. Now today I hear a whine coming from the engine bay. I check all the pulleys first, but that's not it. I shut off the engine and pull the dipstick. The oil on the dipstick had "fisheyes" spotted on it. I removed the fill cap to discover that the neck running down to the valve cover is full, I mean full of sludge. Looks like white lithium grease, definitely water and oil! I wiped some onto a napkin and allowed it to seperate, sure enough clear water and oil, no coloration to the water so its not coolant. This DUDE must have dropped a handful of water in my STINKING engine! I have called and spoken to the manager and am supposed to go there after work. When told they are the only ones to have ever changed the oil he commented, well, that's good for ya. WTF!! :confused:

What do I do? There is no way you can remove 100% of the moisture which has now been introduced into every bearing and contact surface in the whole engine. Do I demand a they try to flush it with oil a few times? Demand changes for free for six months and bring it in once a week to have it changed? Demand a new engine? Have a shop pull the valve covers and clean the top end at Oil Exchanges expense? HELP!!!

I really didn't need this right now...

NwiTACO
01-22-2009, 03:34 PM
no suggestions, huh? going there in 30 minutes

Fuod
01-22-2009, 04:17 PM
no suggestions, huh? going there in 30 minutes

Sorry I just got home! :confused::eek:

Man, I would be so freaking pissed I'm not really sure how I would handle this!

What did they end up doing?

NwiTACO
01-22-2009, 05:31 PM
We pulled the fill tube (which was almost blocked) to look under the valve cover (as best you can), looked alright. Moisture was still present on the dipstick. Had them change the oil a couple of times, looked ok. never going back, guess I'll just do that myself to. Hell while I'm at it the only other thing I don't do myself is tires. Anyone want to throw down on a tire machine?

Can' trust anybody these days. The worst part was that he seemed more upset that the "tech" told me they might have gotten water in it than the fact that they actually did get water in it!

95toyotan
01-22-2009, 07:16 PM
Damn that sucks!!! I would definately be pissed!

I would also change my oil and filter again this weekend cause there will be some water left somewhere and there's no tellin what damage has been done.(if any)
Also I wander if that Marvels mystery oil with it's kerosene in it would do anything to remove any moisture? or seafoam?

NwiTACO
01-22-2009, 08:39 PM
or seafoam?

I knew it would get mentioned!!! and this isn't even the OT section. Ya know what else gets rid of water....wait for it.....it's comin....SHAMWOW!!

Seriously though, I got the foam already...it's gonna happen...

jason6746
01-22-2009, 08:39 PM
wow thats sucks, hope everything will be okay. i would change it again this weekend also. thats why i do it myself, dont trust anyone.
Want some amsoil?

NwiTACO
01-22-2009, 08:45 PM
I have heard mixed reviews regarding it. What is your personal opinion, non-partisan if possible...

brinner
01-22-2009, 08:50 PM
just saw this, this is the #1 reason why oil changes should ALWAYS be done by the owner of the vehicle (provided that they know how) Something similar happened to me and its just a product of workers getting lazy. I used to take my truck to the dealer for oil change (same reason as you....b/c it was easier) but the Rhorman idiots spilled oil all over the front of the engine...they even had oil ON THE HOOD. (seriously, WTF?! how do you get oil ON the hood?!) and to "fix" the mistake they first just squirted belt dressing all over the thing......took it back said "hey, hows aboot you clean the oil off my engine and just curious....did you guys manage to get any oil IN the engine?" so they finally decided to use paper towels and REPLACED THE FAN BELT!:rolleyes:

Moral of my story: This proved to me that they would rather just throw money at the problem instead of "Do the right thing". I change my own oil now and i am anal about ANY work done on my truck.(its just what you have to do these days....its a business, not a job anymore.)

jason6746
01-22-2009, 08:50 PM
i will admit its a little pricey but works really good, i changed everything but the front dif. and noticed a diferance, not huge but better. i dont think you can go wrong with there engine oil. you pay what i pay if your interested.

NwiTACO
01-22-2009, 08:52 PM
pm pending while I check fluid capacities in the diffs

brinner
01-22-2009, 08:55 PM
I have heard mixed reviews regarding it. What is your personal opinion, non-partisan if possible...

my opinion....AMSOIL or Royal Purple & Lucas. Its the same kind of arguement of WARN or MileMarker they are both highquality products.

Hagan34
01-22-2009, 09:52 PM
The worst part was that he seemed more upset that the "tech" told me they might have gotten water in it than the fact that they actually did get water in it!

Thats awesome right there. At least the "tech" told you sounds like the only part that went right.

Full_Tilt_Fud
01-22-2009, 10:26 PM
not trying to be an ass here but you put the truck IN A RIVER what........a week ago???

don't think there is any way that the water could have gotten in then??

I change ALOT of oil (20-30 cars a day) and I have done a few 4.0's.......in order to get the amount of water you are talking about the guy would have had to stand there and shove snow into the filter opening.

when I drowned my 22re I had to change the oil like ten times to get the water out of it so even though they changed the oil it would be entirely reasonable for the river water to still be in there.

did you ever check the oil after you got it out of the river???

DN1911
01-22-2009, 10:43 PM
I think NwiTaco is smart enough to keep the engine bay out of the water. I would have them flush the shit out of the engine with a water remover such as Sea Foam or normal water remover (yes it can be put in the oil). next have them document that if the engine fails due to water damage in the bearings they are responsible for the damages and the engine would be replace with a factory new unit, not a used engine. good oils make a huge difference. do a google for Bob The Oil Guy, it is a forum with a TON of oil info.

NwiTACO
01-23-2009, 07:46 AM
not trying to be an ass here but you put the truck IN A RIVER what........a week ago??? Not exactly, i was in the ditch along side the road which is perpendicular to the river. whole area was flooded out though.

don't think there is any way that the water could have gotten in then?? Nope, truck was at about 30 towards pass. side leaning against a tree. The water was deep on pass side, about half up the door (on the inside), but at that angle the engine isn't under, nor are there breathers on valve covers.

...in order to get the amount of water you are talking about the guy would have had to stand there and shove snow into the filter opening. That's what I was thinking! I don't have any enemies, at everyone at this place always asks about the truck all the time :confused: The only other thing I could possibly imagine is that water dripping off of the plastic engine shroud dropped in while the filter was off (if they left it off for a while.) The edge of the shroud ends exactly over the center of the oil filter opening.

did you ever check the oil after you got it out of the river??? First thing I did when I got home, oil was fine.

NwiTACO
01-23-2009, 07:52 AM
next have them document that if the engine fails due to water damage in the bearings they are responsible for the damages and the engine would be replace with a factory new unit, not a used engine.

I argued for a while, and the manager basically never would admit that there was water in it. Even when staring at it on the dipstick he repeatedly said "I don't think that there is any water in there, but I could flush it a few times if it would make you feel better..." I said you damn well will! Shoulda taken some pictures, now I have no proof.

So needless to say I don't think I could get them to do that...

brinner
01-23-2009, 09:21 AM
oh well....lesson learned right?

NwiTACO
01-23-2009, 09:28 AM
Yeah, definitely. By the time I'm done, this engine is going to be better conditioned than it was before!