TTORA Forum banner

CV or Birfield

4K views 5 replies 4 participants last post by  Dave 2000 
#1 · (Edited)

#2 ·
As far as I know an 80 is an 80 as far as the axles go.

What happened to your friends birf causing the need for replacement?

Is the truck modified or stock?

Yes the dealership wants your firstborn for a birf.

If I had one Id ship it to ya.

Do you not have junkyards in Spain? You should be able to find one in a junkyard somewhere, here or Spain.

Anything will be cheaper than the dealer.

Im not sure of the quality of the ebay birfs. Almost any birf should be fine unless you're wheeling the truck hard.

#3 ·
680 euro :( I think you need to check out this forum

IH8MUD.com 80 series I have profields in the front and chrome alloy axles out back for front and back was no where near 680 euro. Maybe 1,500 US. Good luck with your search

#4 ·
Hi all I am new to the forum and would like some advice please. My friend owns a landcruiser 80. It is a 4.2 td manual year 1990 LHD Spanish spec. No ABS or F & R lockers and no ECU's or anything nasty like that.

He needs to replace at least one CV or Birfield (we are told that both names are correct?). The issue is one of cost, here in Spain the main stealers want 680 euro plus tax for an oem part. as you can see the vehicle is quite old so he does not want to spend too much money on it. We have seen copies being sold for peanuts on ebay but are they any good?

One site in Oz was selling them for the equivalent of 25 euros!

Please help, we do not mind shipping costs from wherever but they have to be strong and at a reasonable price.

TIA

regards

Dave

Wasn’t the 80 series introduced globally in 1991?

The 60 series (and all of its variants) were used until 1990.

04/94 and earlier 80 series outer axles are shorter than 05/94 and later 80 series outers and also, the later outer axle use a taller drive flange on the wheel bearing hub.

If this truck is in fact a 60 series, any outer axle stub from a 40/55/60/62 series from 01/79 and later can be used.

#5 ·
Just thought it would be polite to say thanks for help, re the question about breakers yards, yes we have them but they think they are selling brand new parts and charge accordingly! Anyway, the car see's occasional off roading so we ended up getting a pair from Milners in the UK. The price with all the seals and a set of front wheel bearings ect appeared good value for money. The replacement was brought about by a local garage not realising you have to have grease in the knuckle?

FWIW I also took the advice from this forum and fitted Toyota OE halfshaft seals, TBH they do look a better quality.

Now I have driven his 80 I love the damn thing, now I am thinking of getting one and preparing it for expedition use, and the Discovery...............NO it can stay at the moment because it is soooooo good in competitions.

Anyway, thanks again for your help guys/girls

regards

Dave

#6 ·
Just flicking through some old threads and came up with a thread from chocodile that I failed to answer, this particular model is def an 80 and is def a 1990......the sad thing is my friend and owner of the 80 died of a sudden and massive heart attack last month (50 YO !!).

Great guy....cruel world.

regards

Dave

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.