: fuel tank dimensions

mrdoug
02-02-2009, 01:34 PM
Anybody have a source for the various toyota fuel tank dimensions?

I need to scout out a new gas tank for the 85 (something from an EFI setup) and have found that various years/models have different size tanks, not just in volume, but mounting spec's as well. I've been searching, but not finding a good comparison chart or solid source for info.

ike
02-02-2009, 02:51 PM
Never seen a chart with that info, but i am sure there are enough people on here we could go out and measure ours and get you a good chart.

Why not just get a fuel cell?

mrdoug
02-02-2009, 03:32 PM
Never seen a chart with that info, but i am sure there are enough people on here we could go out and measure ours and get you a good chart.

Why not just get a fuel cell?

Eh, I didn't want to bother folks and possibly end up with different measurements (due to the fact it's mounted, where it was measured from, etc).

Fuel cell = $$$, this is getting expensive enough, I want to have the measurement info so when I go junk yard shopping (or board postings) I know what I'm looking for.

AxleIke
02-02-2009, 03:39 PM
I can get you mine tonight. Its an 87 4runner, EFI tank. Should be similar to what would fit in your truck.

mrdoug
02-02-2009, 03:59 PM
Ah-ha.. found it.. For anybody else searching...

looks like
37x16x13 1/8" for the 17gal
37x16x14 1/8" for the 19 gal.

Same dimensions throughout the 80's for both EFI and carb'd trucks and runners. I used this site:
http://prod.spectra-ssl.com/PROD/apps/eCat/v1.07.01/mainfile.php?connect=true&action=product_catalog&module=product_catalog&APP_VERS=1.07.01

I have to lookup by year/model and have checked several up thru about 88 and they all seem to match (with a few exceptions of only being 15 3/4" wide).

ike
02-02-2009, 04:11 PM
So when are you running to a yard?

RedRunnertc
02-02-2009, 05:26 PM
See what a tank costs from a junkyard (and if they'll even sell them), but money aside, here's my thoughts on why I would NOT do a factory tank:

- the factory location is a rock magnet
- take the opportunity to put in a larger tank for more range, or a smaller one for less weight
- Who knows what kind of rust and crap is inside there and just waiting to get sucked into and block your fuel filter

ike
02-02-2009, 06:23 PM
Kinda my thoughts on the whole thing as well.

Mr Ugly has a tank if you want that:D

mrdoug
02-02-2009, 06:46 PM
Kinda my thoughts on the whole thing as well.

Mr Ugly has a tank if you want that:D

Mr. Ugly isn't fuel injected. Need the electric fuel pump, need the EFI tank for that to hook up. I'll give you a holler when I get the cash to go shopping. Right now, just scoping out the whole parts list to prioritize what get's bought first.

See what a tank costs from a junkyard (and if they'll even sell them), but money aside, here's my thoughts on why I would NOT do a factory tank:

- the factory location is a rock magnet
- take the opportunity to put in a larger tank for more range, or a smaller one for less weight
- Who knows what kind of rust and crap is inside there and just waiting to get sucked into and block your fuel filter

I looked into running external fuel pumps with the non-efi tanks and was reading lots of posts about them burning up because the non-efi tanks have no baffles and when the gas sloshes around, starves the pump and burns them out pre-maturely.

Going to a fuel cell does sound good. And hey, if you're buying, I'll hook it up;). Right now, I'm trying to focus on getting the thing running (reliably), then looking at relocating the tank while doing the flat bed. So basically if I can score a relatively cheap tank that bolts into the factory spot, that's what I plan on doing. Tho Troy does have a good list that tempts me.

Another factor in the fuel cell is mounting. I'd like to keep as much bed space as I can, especially after watching Nate struggle with his 2 cu. ft worth of space to use when camping. I've seen some write ups about using ford and chevy fuel cells that carry 22gal and mount perfectly between frame rails in place of the spare tire. Keeping the bed on body lift blocks makes room for something like that (and an idea I had for mounting my spare tire), but call me vain, I don't want to drive around with a truck that has the bed mounted on 3" body lift blocks when the rest is sitting at a sane height. Once switching to the flat bed, that lift won't look as bad and I'll get some useable space below.

After I catch up on my savings account, make some much needed repairs/upgrades to the house, then I'll come back to the flat bed, tank relocate, probably exo, etc.

ike
02-02-2009, 06:50 PM
Mr Ugly does have an electric fuel pump. It is way lower pressure, but the pump might be swapable. Just throwing it out there as a joke, as i am sure that tank is full of rust.

mrdoug
02-02-2009, 06:57 PM
That's right, forgot about that. I'm researching the psi ratings now. something 3vz equipped would be fine I'm sure. Oddly enough, those few who have swapped from a 22r to 5vz haven't mentioned the fuel pumps at all, let alone the psi ratings.

poorboyota26
02-02-2009, 07:51 PM
You can use the old tank from my 4runner. It's the 17gallon.

I think they were 15gallon and 17gallon. I was looking for a new one back when I bought mine and that's all that was listed.

Free if you want. It is rusty inside but you could at least mock up what you need. I would even be willing to clean out the rust and seal it up just to learn.

RedRunnertc
02-02-2009, 08:30 PM
Don't see any point buying a tank then spending more to switch to what you want.

Another option is a Jeep Cherokee tank will fit between the frame rails where the spare goes.

ike
02-03-2009, 04:11 AM
Montero tanks fit there also.

mrdoug
02-03-2009, 08:08 AM
The prices I saw floating around for fuel cells were like $700 + :eek:

I was thinking a stock j/y tank would be in the $100-$200 range.. but I could be off. I think I could make a stock tank work when relocating higher up on the frame.

Oh, and thanks Poorboy, I'll keep it in mind, but will look and see what else I can find. No mocking up at this stage, just bolting back in place.

RedRunnertc
02-03-2009, 08:09 AM
If you go with a full custom one, it might be that much, but the prefab ones are pretty reasonable.

mrdoug
02-03-2009, 08:33 AM
If you go with a full custom one, it might be that much, but the prefab ones are pretty reasonable.

these were prefab, 20ga steel with hard rubber bladder (22gal version, 17 wasn't that much less). I only looked a little and was ending up at racing sites. I'm sure that had something to do with it. How 'reasonable' was yours?

I've been looking for 19-22 gal sizes since I know (from your experience) you don't actually get that much capacity. I'm figuring if I shoot for 19-22, I might end up with 17-19 actual capacity (just guessing, no real math there). I'd like 300-350 mile cruising range like my taco.

RedRunnertc
02-03-2009, 12:52 PM
This is the one I have:
http://store.summitracing.com/partdetail.asp?autofilter=1&part=RCI%2D2161A&N=700+304364+115&autoview=sku

ike
02-03-2009, 01:30 PM
Whoa, that is way high doug.

When i was looking at them through summit they were 100-300 bucks.

poorboyota26
02-03-2009, 01:50 PM
you can buy a stock tank NEW for 200. and Advanced will price match (they pay shipping) ANY internet deal. That's how I got mine.

ike
02-03-2009, 05:52 PM
Good to know

mrdoug
02-03-2009, 06:03 PM
Whoa, that is way high doug.

When i was looking at them through summit they were 100-300 bucks.

No shit! Interweb shopping > me...

Troy, you're using an external pump then? no problems so far I presume? did you get the foam inside and/or multi pickup's? I guess I'd have to work out the filler neck and mounting could be a tad more expensive, but would leave me with a good setup that wouldn't have to be reworked later.... hmmm..

RedRunnertc
02-03-2009, 08:26 PM
Yes on external pump. No foam or bladder - that is something I would do differently. Not sure if it has multi pickups or not.

TowerRigger
02-03-2009, 08:49 PM
Duuude if you need the fuel tank that goes with the motor just ask. Assuming we will be doing business that is. I'm going to make something for my rig so I don't need it.

mrdoug
02-03-2009, 10:09 PM
Duuude if you need the fuel tank that goes with the motor just ask. Assuming we will be doing business that is. I'm going to make something for my rig so I don't need it.

I figured you'd need/keep the tank. I'll check the measurements and see if that'll mount up. In the 90's the sizes started doing funny things (differences of an inch or so in different directions.)

So what exactly are you going to keep out of that thing? I thought you were just doing a motor swap. I'll have to dig up your thread again and refresh my mind a little.

TowerRigger
02-06-2009, 10:37 PM
All I really want is the cab and chassis. If I was a smarter lad I would just be building a buggy. But my Taco is what I got, and it's what I like, and it's the platform I want to use. The pump for the 3.4 is in tank. I figure it would be a good flow match for a 3.4 not a hopped up 6 liter LS motor. I need something a little more mmm beefy.:D