: restrictive elbow location?

Tacoma Jake
06-25-2005, 02:45 PM
Lots of people are doing the deckplate mod on their intake, but then I saw a post of someone just removing the restrictive elbow. I wanted to try this to see if I like it then possibly do the deckplate mod, but I dont know where the restrictive elbow is located on the intake, can someone tell me?

Tacoma Jake
06-25-2005, 03:07 PM
Well I did a little research and found it myself... heres a site that explains...http://www.4runners.org/articles/airbox/

hawaiianbro
06-25-2005, 04:03 PM
Now, why would you want to remove that? It's like the stock snorkel???!!

taco23
06-25-2005, 04:53 PM
Now, why would you want to remove that? It's like the stock snorkel???!!

More air flow to the engine. Same performance gain as the deckplate mod according to Gadget. The elbow is actually more restrictive when connected to the airbox.

hawaiianbro
06-26-2005, 01:28 AM
More air flow to the engine. Same performance gain as the deckplate mod according to Gadget. The elbow is actually more restrictive when connected to the airbox.

Wouldn't the deckplate be a lot better? If it's the same performance gain? They are both easy to install / remove. Yet with the deckplate, it's a 5 second maneuver to have that added protection in dusty , or waist deep conditions?

Tacoma Jake
06-26-2005, 05:40 PM
Yeah, after looking, the deckplate looks better. I am just having trouble finding a local store (marine/boat) that has the deckplate in stock. Thats why I was looking for an alternative option.

jh3
06-26-2005, 08:58 PM
I got mine from beckson.com google it 15.00 shipped for a 4"

SAR_Squid79
06-26-2005, 11:28 PM
Yeah, after looking, the deckplate looks better. I am just having trouble finding a local store (marine/boat) that has the deckplate in stock. Thats why I was looking for an alternative option.

They don't have West Marine in Oregon? That's where I got everything I needed to do my deckplate mod.

tbplus10
06-27-2005, 12:28 AM
If you cant get a Deck plate from West Marine try boatUS.com they have'em in all different colors.

Tim

Tacoma Jake
06-27-2005, 12:37 AM
I never heard of West Marine, although that doesnt mean its not in Oregon. Alright Ill check out those sites, thanks.

Roach437
06-28-2005, 07:31 AM
The elbow is located on the interior of the passenger side fender well. It should be connected to the stock air intake box. Stick to the deckplate mod. It will allow you to seal off the air intake box from dust, mud and water.

hawaiianbro
06-28-2005, 11:29 AM
The elbow is located on the interior of the passenger side fender well. It should be connected to the stock air intake box. Stick to the deckplate mod. It will allow you to seal off the air intake box from dust, mud and water.

:newbie:

Edit - I think the post was moved....was it here the whole time? If it was than my face is very red and :newbie: like.

Roach
06-28-2005, 10:37 PM
At least we are in the right category "Newbie Tech".

NorcalPR
06-28-2005, 11:23 PM
Since we're on the topic of deckplate mod, how many of you sealed it with silicone? I didn't.. I figured if water can get up there, it can get up in the elbow.

tbplus10
06-29-2005, 02:10 AM
I put foam tape under the edge of mine, but it doesnt actually do anything cause I've never put the deck plate back in.

Tim

hawaiianbro
06-29-2005, 04:07 AM
I followed someone's writeup, it took like 1 min to put the silicone on?

NUKE
06-29-2005, 04:37 AM
Wouldn't the deckplate be a lot better? If it's the same performance gain? They are both easy to install / remove. Yet with the deckplate, it's a 5 second maneuver to have that added protection in dusty , or waist deep conditions?

Here's a pic of me entering a hole without the elbow (no deckplate mod). At the middle the water was washing over the hood. I admit, it was a tense moment, you just keep moving.
The bottom line is simple, there are drain holes in the bottom of the filter housing anyway. If you waste a lot of time in deep water your gonna end up with water in your intake.
It really comes down to a matter of preference.