: Water in diff (again)

00regcab
02-04-2009, 12:33 PM
Ok, some of you may remember my rear housing was cracked just under the front of the spring perches. Chilitoy welded them up for me at the last HOW S, and it worked out great, helped with axle wrap and i didnt get any water in the diff.

Here we are a few months down the road, ive changed the rear fluid once since then, looked great. Today i walked out to my truck for lunch, and there was a puddle of oil under my truck (wasnt sure if it was from another car, or my truck, but my diff was lined up with it perfectly, and the bottom of the diff was damp. Had some oil on it) so i figured id check the level and see. Well the oil wasnt from my truck, as it dribbled a little out of the fill plug. However, its been contaminated with water again.

All my seals are fine (no leaking), the gasket maker i used around the 3rd just started barely leaking the other day (post-snow runs), i have the diff breather routed up into my gas tank filler neck. I'm stumped on ideas, short of pulling the whole assembly out, grinding all of it down to check for cracks/holes, or whatever else, and fixing as needed/repainting.

So, my question to you guys. What are your ideas? What have you seen from your experiences, anything specific i should look for?

My front diff does the same, but i think thats because of the MUD i drained out of it right after purchasing it. Im pretty confident its still filled with mud and working that out of the system.

thefatkid
02-04-2009, 12:48 PM
I've seen snow work it's way past the pinion seal. Is your pinion seal leaking?

00regcab
02-04-2009, 12:59 PM
Pinion seal is not leaking.

When i installed the 3rd, all i had was some high temp RTV, and it was nearly midnight, with snow on the way. So i had to use it so i could get to work in the morning. It worked great, but just started leaking the other day (barely leaking, bottom of the diff is just damp, no drips)

Brian, since you're in here now i might as well through up the other problem with my front.

For the third time now, i've blown out the 3 main (pinion/cv's) seals in my front diff. Ive heard a bad/faulty/plugged diff breather CAN cause this. But what are the chances?

thefatkid
02-04-2009, 01:24 PM
Very high to keep blowing a seal, all three, not too sure about that. Is your diff that sloppy? bearings worn?

00regcab
02-04-2009, 10:26 PM
The front is, yea.

Its been around since Derrick had it (tonka toy, i think his SN was)

Still not sure about the rear. Also looked into it more, and its the stripped lower stud for my e-locker motor that's creating the recent small leak.