: Hood loose?

808_tac
06-27-2005, 12:08 AM
Hey guys, I've had my tacoma for about 2 years now, it's a 99 2.7L xtra cab 4x4. There are quite a few minor pet peeves about the truck but the one that irks me the most is that when i'm driving the hood rattles and seems like it's going to fly up. It never has, but it moves up and down a lot. My friend has owned three different tacomas and said that it was a common problem. I've tried to find the cause but can't seem to figure it out. Any suggestions? thanks

spill_02
06-27-2005, 12:10 AM
Hey guys, I've had my tacoma for about 2 years now, it's a 99 2.7L xtra cab 4x4. There are quite a few minor pet peeves about the truck but the one that irks me the most is that when i'm driving the hood rattles and seems like it's going to fly up. It never has, but it moves up and down a lot. My friend has owned three different tacomas and said that it was a common problem. I've tried to find the cause but can't seem to figure it out. Any suggestions? thanks
when im on the highway the hood on my 99 3.4 seems to rattle like what your saying, but i dont know what the cause would be.

Tacoma Jake
06-27-2005, 12:41 AM
My 95 rattles a little, but not enough to bother me. Ive never tried to find the cause though.

96Toy
06-27-2005, 02:05 AM
The Hodd on my 95 tacoma lifts up about 1 inch then rattles when i am at highway speeds, A guy at are toyota dealership says its normal cause his 04 dose the same thing.

hossmaster
06-27-2005, 07:51 AM
My 02 did that after my truck was damaged in the front. There are 2 rubber pad on the ends of the radiatior support. They will twist and raise and lower their height. I just adjusted mine untill the shutter was minimal. Just keep in mind that if you adjust too much it will raise your hood above the fenders and looks a bit funny.

Tweeter
06-27-2005, 10:31 AM
Also the bracket that you use to flip your hood up may have a loose bolt or two, I think theres 3 that hold it in.

TacoDell
06-27-2005, 11:14 AM
On the earlier Taco's ('00 and earlier) There is no rubber (snubber) support on the cowl area. This allows the hood to flutter up and down near the cowl area. I think it was integrated in '01. If it's moving at the front of the hood then you may need to adjust the lock down mechinism down lower and adjust the screw in bump stops accordingly. If it is at the cowl then you need to integrate the new rubber snubber of one of the later trucks. '01's have a redesigned plastic cowl that has a notch cut out for the snubber to fit in... I got one (the snubber) from a dealer and just glued it into place... seems to have done the job... I don't know if the '01 plastic cowl piece would fit earlier Tacos... but that little snubber in there can be used to the same affect with the stock cowl and some good glue... If your curious as to what I've done... I can take a pic and post it for all.... Uh... is snubber a word? :confused: LOL

Oh and my hood don't flutter, bounce or rattle no more... ;)

spill_02
06-27-2005, 12:13 PM
On the earlier Taco's ('00 and earlier) There is no rubber (snubber) support on the cowl area. This allows the hood to flutter up and down near the cowl area. I think it was integrated in '01. If it's moving at the front of the hood then you may need to adjust the lock down mechinism down lower and adjust the screw in bump stops accordingly. If it is at the cowl then you need to integrate the new rubber snubber of one of the later trucks. '01's have a redesigned plastic cowl that has a notch cut out for the snubber to fit in... I got one (the snubber) from a dealer and just glued it into place... seems to have done the job... I don't know if the '01 plastic cowl piece would fit earlier Tacos... but that little snubber in there can be used to the same affect with the stock cowl and some good glue... If your curious as to what I've done... I can take a pic and post it for all.... Uh... is snubber a word? :confused: LOL

Oh and my hood don't flutter, bounce or rattle no more... ;)

yeah I would like to see some pics of what you've done

TacoDell
06-27-2005, 01:18 PM
Here's a few pics... sorry they aren't that good... If you want I can email ya some High res pics... send me your email address if you want them... You should be able to get this part from a salvage yard or the dealer... I got mine off a '02 model plastic cowl... I suppose you could cut a slot in the cowl to fit it... but gluing worked just fine... mines been on there for a couple of years... and it fixed the issue of the cowl flutter...

808_tac
06-27-2005, 02:10 PM
thanks for the replies guys, i really appreciate it. Mine rattles in the front where the hood lock is, but i'll definitely look into adding some snubs and adjusting the lock bolts. thanks! :D

TacoDell
06-27-2005, 02:30 PM
thanks for the replies guys, i really appreciate it. Mine rattles in the front where the hood lock is, but i'll definitely look into adding some snubs and adjusting the lock bolts. thanks! :D

Check that the bolts on the bracket aren't loose. (behind the grille) I think the bracket has some play in the bolt holes for minor adjustment...( to slide it up or down a tad) (down in your case) Could be that the the mechinism is just too worn and needs replacing... After adjusting the bracket be sure to adjust the screw in bumpers so that they just contact when the hood is closed. If they are too high they may cause your hood to get a permanent tweak to it... --v-- as it would be pulling down in the center if the stops are too high... Good luck with your problems...

808_tac
06-27-2005, 04:47 PM
Check that the bolts on the bracket aren't loose. (behind the grille) I think the bracket has some play in the bolt holes for minor adjustment...( to slide it up or down a tad) (down in your case) Could be that the the mechinism is just too worn and needs replacing... After adjusting the bracket be sure to adjust the screw in bumpers so that they just contact when the hood is closed. If they are too high they may cause your hood to get a permanent tweak to it... --v-- as it would be pulling down in the center if the stops are too high... Good luck with your problems...

this is exactly what i did, i found that of the three bolts holding down the latch bracket, the inner bolt was pretty loose. I tightened that sucker and adjusted the two rubber bump stops in the front and the hood is tight. Thanks a lot guys, this means a lot too me, the hood movin up and down was so annoying. thanks!!!!!!

DesertTRD
06-27-2005, 06:03 PM
this is exactly what i did, i found that of the three bolts holding down the latch bracket, the inner bolt was pretty loose. I tightened that sucker and adjusted the two rubber bump stops in the front and the hood is tight. Thanks a lot guys, this means a lot too me, the hood movin up and down was so annoying. thanks!!!!!!
small added detail, keep an eye on your hood latch, mine is actually ripping out of the hood, granted im harder on my truck, but just ever so often when you open it make sure its still tight in the hood (the D-Ring actually can break off) I have a strap to hold my hood down now because I dont trust that Dring at all.

StemsCornfedTaco
06-27-2005, 06:36 PM
The hood on my truck Rattles up and down about half an inch, I dont really worry about it too much. It may be b/c of the hood being somewhat flimsy.

YoTRacer158
06-27-2005, 11:29 PM
mine started shaking on my 04 after a car lost its wheel on the 101/405 merge which made it's way off a post, over the suburban in front of me, and into the front of my hood...

hossmaster
06-28-2005, 12:10 AM
mine started shaking on my 04 after a car lost its wheel on the 101/405 merge which made it's way off a post, over the suburban in front of me, and into the front of my hood...

Ditto!

YoTRacer158
06-28-2005, 05:07 PM
shitty thing is that my buddy had his video camera on his lap the whole time and we could have got it all on film...

WILD YOTE
06-28-2005, 06:10 PM
The support structure underneath the actual sheet metal of the hood came loose from the outer sheet metal on mine. There is a thick adhesive holding them together that failed. If you remove the hood insulator you'll see what I'm talking about. anyhow thats why mine moves alot. :2cents:

808_tac
06-29-2005, 04:04 AM
I was so excited yesterday when I drove my truck, no hood flapping in the wind! YES! i'm happy. thanks guys for the suggestions. now i just need to find the time to swap out my blown stock shocks... :welder:

wvuviv30
06-29-2005, 09:10 AM
I had that problem with the hood bouncing/rattling. I also had a bug deflector, i took it off and it solved the problem.

levi333
06-29-2005, 07:16 PM
It definitely could be the bug guard. When i first got my tacoma, the hood didnt bounce, but it seems like it was around the time i bought a guard that it started.
I need to figure something out, it bugs the crap out of me, and its causing un-neccesary stress.