: newbie needs input!

supermidget
06-27-2005, 01:30 AM
hey all,

1st of all, i'm willing to say that i'm the biggest newbie on the entire site. my motivation in posting is to gather as much information as possible from the more car savvy folks of the toyota community and using it to make the best purchase i can in the next couple of weeks. i've got about 3000k to spend on a vehicle and i'm 100% convinced that it will be best spent on a quality used toyota truck. i'm looking for one in the l.a. area right now and the only obstacle so far has been the abundance of vehicles available in this price range! it makes choosing quite the chore. my #1 question for you folks would be in regards to late 80's -early 90's toyota pickups with new engines or rebuilt engines installed. i'll greatly appreciate any opinions or feedback...how risky is this proposition?...what, if any, would be the most common problems with owning such a vehicle?...please feel free to shout out...and thanks to anyone that does...and please, excuse the rudimentary nature of my question...

Zackattak
06-27-2005, 01:38 AM
I've got a buddy with an 89 4runner, and when he bought it, the original owner had recently rebuilt the engine. My buddy beats the hell out of his 2.4L and it hols up pretty good. In my opinion I'd say that if the owner has the receipts that show that a professional rebuilt the engine, its OK.

Tacoma Jake
06-27-2005, 02:25 AM
Also if you go look at a truck, even if you know very little about toyotas, check all around it (like any used vehicle) for any blemishes, and make sure to drive it for a decent amount of time (dont be afraid to give it a little gas). :D

spill_02
06-27-2005, 01:29 PM
If your looking for a older toy, I would say to stick with the 22r or the 22re, the only problem with the 89-95 p/u's is the v6, theres a recall on the head gasket and the motor is gutless imo, but none the less i drove one(93 p/u) until it got totaled by a careless driver :mad: but it was still a great truck. Also my friend rebuilt a 22r for an 85 and it takes a beating everyday and still runs great. Like everyone says its like buying any used vehicle, use good judgement and you should be fine, your buying a toyota >>> awesome vehicles.

supermidget
06-27-2005, 03:04 PM
hey guys,

thanks so much for sharing info. i've gotten more out of the last 3 posts than i have in 3 days x-raying my eyeballs reading endless (anonymous) accounts of toyota trucks....it's great to hear some live and friendly fire...please keep em coming...and i more than welcome any feedback regarding rebuilt or newly installed motors on older toyota pickups...such accounts are hard to find....perhaps this is a good thing...thanks again guys...you rule!!!

-midget

YoTRacer158
06-27-2005, 08:57 PM
what do you plan on doing with your truck? if you plan to do slower, rockcrawling type stuff try to get a 1985 or older truck with the straight axle (85 being the sweet spot as it's the only year with fuel injection and solid axle), if you would rather do the fast stuff like prerunning, go with a 1986 or newer with IFS

supermidget
06-27-2005, 09:19 PM
hey folks,

sorry, i should have made a distinction earlier...the pickup i plan on purchasing is not merely a toy...it's really meant to be a primary vehicle that i can also rally off road when needs be...which in the sierra nevada, if you're playing outside, is more often than not...it will see a good amount of highway miles...and really, that is where i'm wondering whether or not a rebuilt engine or new engine in an older toyota is up to the task.....thanks again guys...if there was a way to compensate the folks on this site...i would sign myself up...

-the midge

Paul
06-27-2005, 09:36 PM
If they have papers from a professional rebuild, then I would say go for it.

supermidget
06-27-2005, 10:03 PM
enlightened ones,

once again, i can't thank ya'll enough...i now know what to ask for in rebuilt engines...and i even know to ask the sellers if their engines have seen any head gasket problems if they're in the 89-95 range...you guys have definitely saved me lots of time, money, and effort already...ok, online bar is open!!!...drinks are on me, what're ya'll havin'?...hey, at least while we're doing this, at least we're not driving huh?...

-midget