: CV problems

Avsfreak1234
02-15-2009, 09:18 PM
ok, so i blew my third CV boot in 6 months today. thats gotta be a hint that my cv angles are a little steep and i need to do something about the front. question: has anyone here had any personal experience with diff drops positive or nevative?

I have a 3/8" spacer on top of my strut that i could easily remove that would probably put my angles back in check, but i like the stance of my truck. and i know i have room above my skid for a 1/2-1" diff drop.

I have read things about diff drops that make me think that i should just remove the spacer and be on my way. things like the fact that they increase the angle on the front driveshaft which is designed to be flat and level. or that they are unstable.

input from experts here_____________________________! thanks

tacotoy
02-15-2009, 09:59 PM
ORS used to have some awesome boots to fix that...

but a spacer above the strut is kinda bad all around....

Avsfreak1234
02-15-2009, 10:07 PM
thing with those boots is that they are outer boots only. today i blew an inner boot.

fjcruzer
02-15-2009, 10:10 PM
I had 10mm spacers, looked cool and they caused me all kinds of problems (boots, sway bar links, TREs, steering rack...)

I took them out, still looked cool and all kinds of problems went away.

:2cents:

ike
02-16-2009, 12:04 AM
Maybe throw some weight up there to bring the height down a bit. time for a front bumper?

ducaria
02-16-2009, 12:18 PM
had a 3" spacer lift and a diff drop with no problems for a year other then premature ball joint wear.

Avsfreak1234
02-16-2009, 12:29 PM
and to clarify, the spacer is only 3/8" so i would nave no qualms with taking it off. if it will resolve my issues. and yes ike, it is long overdue for a front bumper but that isnt in the budget for the next few months.

RedRunnertc
02-16-2009, 01:54 PM
But you have manual hubs? Unless you're leaving them locked for the winter, they shouldn't be wearing out this fast, even with bad CV angles.

One thing about Tacomas that I don't like is there is no droop bumpstop ... perhaps you are going to far and THAT is damaging them (in a one-time incident, not wear over time)

Avsfreak1234
02-16-2009, 04:21 PM
i was thinking that too but what they use for the droop bumpstop is the upper control arm contacting the spring. the thing that leads me to believe that that isnt an issue is that one broke as i was backing out of a parking spot a few months ago. that wasnt a one-time past full droop incident.

Avsfreak1234
02-16-2009, 04:27 PM
and funny thing is, i used to leave the hubs locked for winter and havent even put them in once this year. granted, i did have the lift on for the last few years too. now im wondering if there is something else going on?

ducaria
02-17-2009, 01:01 AM
But you have manual hubs? Unless you're leaving them locked for the winter, they shouldn't be wearing out this fast, even with bad CV angles.

One thing about Tacomas that I don't like is there is no droop bumpstop ... perhaps you are going to far and THAT is damaging them (in a one-time incident, not wear over time)

Yup and aren't Bilsteins about an 1" longer at full droop. Don't know if you're running bilsteins though.

fjcruzer
02-17-2009, 09:14 AM
and to clarify, the spacer is only 3/8" so i would nave no qualms with taking it off. if it will resolve my issues. and yes ike, it is long overdue for a front bumper but that isnt in the budget for the next few months.

That spacer on top of your lift may only be 3/8", but it is amplifying the overall effect of the longer coils and shocks, so when you do droop, there is more pressure on the entire system. I never had CV issues like you are, but I also had the "UCA bumpstop" until I took out the spacer. It is my understanding from the people I trust that if your UCA contacts the spring, "that's bad," while I've heard from others, "that's normal." I went with that's bad and haven't had as many issues.

TacoBlanca97
02-17-2009, 12:46 PM
Taking the spacer out will help a little. You may have to swap out the tundra springs for Tacoma springs, those tundra springs are just to tall. Or if you have the cash, adjustable co's.

Avsfreak1234
02-17-2009, 01:05 PM
Ill probably get rid of the spacer. i was just curious if anyone had had good luck with a diff drop first. i havent heard anything good about them and wanted to ask. dont know if time will allow this weekend but the spacers have to go!

to reduce confusion, my setup:
OME struts, tundra TRD progressive coils, 3/8" spacer (soon gone)

The tundra setup is a viable option that i picked up from a thread on YT. most people suggested running one or two 3/8" spacers on top too. they were also running them on runners with the 3.4's weight and a heavier body on them. so i think i need to ditch the spacer since i have a lightass truck with a 2.7.

maybe not this weekend but sometime soon for sure.

ajax
02-17-2009, 06:08 PM
do the boot stretch mod