: Bent Skidplate

TS4Runner
02-22-2009, 02:08 AM
Well to make a long story short, i got stuck trying to pull someone out tonight. When we were pulling me out i was high centered on a snow bank and when i got out and back home i checked the skidplate and it is deffinatley bowed in the middle towards the back(almost like so much snow got in there). Are the stock plates easily bendable like that? And can you re-bend them back? Let me know what you think

mrdoug
02-22-2009, 09:00 AM
They are specifically made of tin-foil so you can keep bending them back into shape.

Actually that's the reason why nearly everybody get's after market skids, the stock things (I can't really call them skids) just aren't worth the effort to keep bending them back into shape.

Gerdo
02-22-2009, 10:11 AM
Bent? Kind of like this?

http://i70.photobucket.com/albums/i115/Gerdo_2006/DSC_0113.jpg

I added a sheet of aluminum a while back and it still bends. I just leave mine bent, increases ground clearance.

spindleshanks
02-22-2009, 11:00 AM
Hey TS4Runner, don't worry about bent stock skids. They do bend, but they are still functional. I've bent several of them, and each time they've done their job of protecting my truck's vital undercarriage components.
You can take them off and pound them flat again, it's no big deal. Or you can spend a butt load of money on some after market skids.

ike
02-22-2009, 11:08 AM
To a point, you will start bending stuff behind the stock skid eventually. At least i did, that is why i went out and got a set of bud builts. Best skids on the market in my opinion. There are several others that are great though, such as all phase off roads.

spindleshanks
02-22-2009, 11:18 AM
Nonsense. I've turned the stock skids inside out and never even come close to contacting any IFS components, oil pan, or anything else. And if somebody who bashes their truck on the rocks as brutally as i do (because I can't drive, lol) can get along with stock skidplates, most other people will be just fine with them.

TS4Runner
02-22-2009, 11:22 AM
Hey TS4Runner, don't worry about bent stock skids. They do bend, but they are still functional. I've bent several of them, and each time they've done their job of protecting my truck's vital undercarriage components.
You can take them off and pound them flat again, it's no big deal. Or you can spend a butt load of money on some after market skids.

Alright, well i will be at the HoW today if you want to see them. They are bent in the back hanging down literally like 3-4 inches off the ground. Im thinking i can just take a 2X4 and my bottlejack and jack it back into place. Not sure if that will work or not but we will deffinatley find out.

ike
02-22-2009, 11:24 AM
I can show some bent underside parts if you would like.

All of my damage came from Moab. I never even bent the skids before then. Actually it all came from cliffhanger, and i dont think my steering was really working for that trail due to what conspired after the run, so i mostly agree with you. All of my damage was also above the second stock skid.

I have a front skid that is in fairly good shape, dont know if a taco skid would help you but if you want it let me know and i will throw it in the truck next time we are headed to the same place and you can have it.

As for the t-case, i would definately reccomend getting an aftermarked skid for that.

ike
02-22-2009, 11:25 AM
Just saw your above post, and will throw the skid in just in case.

TS4Runner
02-22-2009, 11:29 AM
For those who won't be at the HoW(some snow melted under the plate so it's not as bad as it was last night...flexi-plates?), here's some pictures-
http://img24.imageshack.us/img24/3927/10006841.jpg (http://imageshack.us)

http://img11.imageshack.us/img11/1528/10006851.jpg (http://imageshack.us)

TS4Runner
02-22-2009, 11:30 AM
Just saw your above post, and will throw the skid in just in case.

Alright awesome, thanks. I'll see you in a bit, im in estes so im going to have to get a move on. Do you know molly and troys exact address?

ike
02-22-2009, 11:45 AM
Dont know the exact address, but it is easy take the main road, cant remember the name almost to 25, and then there is a bank on the right side going east. Turn there and it brings you back to a development. Take the first left into the development, and then you can just give someone a call or wonder around until you see a bunch of yotas. I am leaving from the fort here in about 15

# is 9704207403

TS4Runner
02-22-2009, 06:17 PM
Hey guys, got my stuff fixed today at the HoW, thanks so much for all your help.

Quick Draw
02-22-2009, 08:35 PM
Dont know the exact address, but it is easy take the main road, cant remember the name almost to 25, and then there is a bank on the right side going east. Turn there and it brings you back to a development. Take the first left into the development, and then you can just give someone a call or wonder around until you see a bunch of yotas. I am leaving from the fort here in about 15

# is 9704207403

Hahaha...those are the most terrible directions I've ever seen.

You forgot to tell him to make a left after he sees the brown cow, and if he sees the llama he's gone too far... :rofl:

mrdoug
02-22-2009, 09:14 PM
Nonsense. I've turned the stock skids inside out and never even come close to contacting any IFS components, oil pan, or anything else. And if somebody who bashes their truck on the rocks as brutally as i do (because I can't drive, lol) can get along with stock skidplates, most other people will be just fine with them.

I got to disagree with you on this. I bashed my stock skids till the little brackes that hold them on to the a-arms bent in. My 3/16" skids from bud built take a licken and keep rockin, but I did notice that I've "clearanced" them a little too.. I'm thinking that if I can bend 3/16" steel on something, that little tin foil stock skids would have been of no use at all.

That said, I did wheel my truck quite a few years with the stockers on. I guess I'm alot less worried about falling on the rocks now and because of that, I've done things to my truck I never would have with the stock 'armor'.

ike
02-23-2009, 12:08 AM
Shit, i think i left my stocker at the HOW, gonna have to pick it up next time i am down there.

devinsixtyseven
02-23-2009, 02:14 PM
I bashed my stock skids till the little brackes that hold them on to the a-arms bent in.Was gonna mention something to that effect as a good reason to get a good skid plate that won't deform, vs stressing the frame by deforming the stock plate.

Also every time you reform the stock plate, it's weaker.

TS4Runner
02-23-2009, 04:42 PM
Shit, i think i left my stocker at the HOW, gonna have to pick it up next time i am down there.

It was sitting in the yard next to molly and troys house, i moved it up next to their garage on the side your truck was, so it is most likely still there.

Quick Draw
02-23-2009, 04:51 PM
Speaking of stock skid plates....would anybody who has upgraded like to donate (or damn near donate) some to help the sale of my Tacoma? I don't even have the underbelly skid anymore...I think it's at the bottom of a stream in Leadville...:lmao:

mrdoug
02-23-2009, 05:04 PM
Mine are still available I think... but not sure if it would increase the value of your truck.

ike
02-23-2009, 05:43 PM
You can have the front skid i left at molly and troys.

Lysmachia
02-23-2009, 05:50 PM
If you want it come and get it soon. Otherwise it gets thrown out friday ;)

ike
02-23-2009, 06:21 PM
Kyle, let me know if you are going to go and pick it up.

Quick Draw
02-23-2009, 07:04 PM
Is the mid skid up there too? Cuz that's what I really need...

ike
02-23-2009, 07:06 PM
Had to cut the mid plate off of my truck it is gone.