TTORA Forum banner

building a Fj80 front

2K views 4 replies 4 participants last post by  ShmUDE 
#1 ·
I just had ZUK install the arb and cryo'd 5.29 gears with cryo bearings too. I want this to be bulletproof so what else should i do while its all apart. I was thinking:

a knuckle rebuild kit with wheel bearings
outter marlin crawler seals

but what else should be replaced? (longs will be soon, just no $$ yet)

also what truss and diff covers are you all running? Oh im also going to install those ball guessets so they dont bend. What are the other weak links?

#2 ·
Just need get the longs for that bitch to make it REALLY bulletproof. unless the axle is just screaming for a rebuild, wait to do it until you have the scratch for longs and knock it all out in one swoop.
other than that, the 80 front axle is really a stout axle.

#4 ·
Just make sure to do the Long kit (Birf and inners) if it is a trail rig only. I drive my LC to and from runs, so I went with Poly inners and OEM birfs. I don't need them wearing out in 20k miles :) I just finished my front rebuild about a month ago.

I am getting gears next month. 4.88's though, as I am only on 35's.

#5 ·
its a trail rig only so will be full longs. I'll prob wait on the rebuild kit until i get the longs and do it all in one shot. I dont think its screaming for a rebuild, but it was nice and grimy with old grease. I'll run it for a bit and see how it does.

what about a truss and diff cover. Do the normal toy 8" ones fit?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.