: 74 fj40

HoosierTacoma08
02-28-2009, 05:52 PM
Drove north of town today to do some tire pricing and swung by the Toyota dealer and found this jewel.
http://i84.photobucket.com/albums/k39/CROC_01/0228091217.jpg

I would love to get it but I just don't have the dough :(. I talked to a guy named Jason Teague, and he said that it belonged to the owner of the dealership, and that the price was negotiable. He also said he would throw me a bone if someone I referred to him bought it. :D Its located just south of 65 and 31 in Taylorsville, IN. For a 74 its in decent condition in my opinion, does need some cosmetic work though. Jason also said that it had something like 120K on the odo. So if you or someone you know may be interested just call and ask for Jason, and tell him Jared sent you. :D

More pics and dealer info here.
http://wiesegmtoyota.vinmanagersites.com/AutoDetails2.aspx?ID=3132785

Bear
03-02-2009, 07:08 AM
My wife doesn't like the idea of another Fj currently even though the one I have is in pieces currently.

But nice find!

HoosierTacoma08
03-02-2009, 09:39 PM
My wife doesn't like the idea of another Fj currently even though the one I have is in pieces currently.

But nice find!

What year is yours? :cool:

I drove by again today on my way out of town and took another look. :D If its still there in 2 weeks (doubt it will be) I'm going to throw them an offer. I'd hate to let it go and not take a stab at it. By then I'll have my refund and with that a little more buying power. I asked Jason today what they'd take for it, he said they would consider 4500$ at the very least. What do you think about their price? I haven't done any research yet.

Bear
03-02-2009, 11:49 PM
the one I am going to be restoring is a '73. but as most that age, it will have parts from mulit years. I just need to figure out my tacoma so I can start throwing money at the Fj instead of the taco.

You might be surprised in two weeks, although these things are so damn nice, I once watched an FJ sit for two years at a dealership. What I would be concerned with regarding your plan is; for that "vintage" of a vehicle, most traditional lending institutions will not finance on that old of a vehicle, so you may have get "creative" for your request. Go in with a request for a personal loan instead of a vehicle loan.

As for the value of the vehicle, it is hard to say, even with the photos. The reason I say that is some Fj's I have seen sell for 10K while others have surprised me and gone for as little as $2k.

I got stupid when I bought my stripped FJ for what I paid. I think if I redid it today. I would have saved the money or at least found that was running (unlikely) for what I did pay.

If you are serious though about this one, good luck, I have yet to even be able to sit in mine but it is still fun just to sit and imagine the end result while it sits under the layers of dust in my garage. Get it and we will make it a great project for you (just loose that funky looking soft top. I can't place what is wrong with it, but there is something wrong with it judging by the pictures.)

Speaking of the top, look to see if they have it installed properly, should be obvious to you. But if it is installed correctly I woudl venture to say it is not intended for an FJ (probably a jeep of some type) if that is all true, use it against them as a bargining tool to get the price a little lower.

Bear
03-02-2009, 11:53 PM
Here are a few photos of my project FJ a few days after I took delivery of it two summers ago.

http://s208.photobucket.com/albums/bb211/Bear4x4/FJ%2040%20project/

no progess since :( well other than it is now filled to the brim with more FJ parts, the 302 sitting which currently is making the vehicle a mid-engine car. ;) as well as some household junk due to it taking up all my storage space in the garage.

NwiTACO
03-03-2009, 06:29 AM
I want that thing soooooooo bad, dreamt about these as a child...

Bear
03-03-2009, 07:13 AM

Well my son is actually wanting to sell ours because he is not wanting to put forth the effort to restore ours (youth of today:rolleyes: )

So I might be coaxed into selling ours. ;) but I am not sure I want to sell it, I am glad you have dreamt about a shell of an FJ and I could be of assistance in some way.

(see who you replied to:p )

NwiTACO
03-03-2009, 07:34 AM
(see who you replied to:p )

Next time I'll quote the OP to avoid confusion :rolleyes:

Bear
03-03-2009, 09:38 AM
Next time I'll quote the OP to avoid confusion :rolleyes:

;):lmao:

phishtaco
03-03-2009, 12:08 PM
My .02....$4500 is too much. You can see the rust in the rockers from the photos, bad repaint in an uglyass color, weird interior, cut up junk in the dash, soft top is missing parts or something, the flares...
Good points...It probably has the 1.5F motor, it uses the better 2F oiling function and it most likely has the 4sp.
I would sell you mine for twice that price ;)

phishtaco
03-03-2009, 12:11 PM
And for anyone else buying an FJ40...Looks for the nicest rust free body you can afford, if it runs good too and the wiring isn't hacked up buy it. 76+ also had disc brakes but were more proan to rusting than say a 71-74.

Bear
03-03-2009, 12:29 PM
My .02....$4500 is too much. You can see the rust in the rockers from the photos, bad repaint in an uglyass color, weird interior, cut up junk in the dash, soft top is missing parts or something, the flares...
Good points...It probably has the 1.5F motor, it uses the better 2F oiling function and it most likely has the 4sp.
I would sell you mine for twice that price ;)

And for anyone else buying an FJ40...Looks for the nicest rust free body you can afford, if it runs good too and the wiring isn't hacked up buy it. 76+ also had disc brakes but were more proan to rusting than say a 71-74.

And our resident Fj expert has spoken! Take what Marty has to say as gospel, he knows FJs!!!!!!!!

so master Phish, did I do okay on catching the soft top?

phishtaco
03-03-2009, 12:40 PM
That looks like an old besttop, either installed incorrectly or missing parts.
When the wife gave me the green light to buy an FJ40, I looked for over a year to find a decent one in the area. Mine came out of Lafayette and I think its pretty nice.

Bear
03-03-2009, 12:42 PM
Well it don't suck! that is fur shur!

I really need to start working on mine, but there are only 24 hours in the day and only cobwebs in the wallet!

phishtaco
03-03-2009, 01:01 PM
Bear sell it and start over, you will be sooooooooo deep into that.

phishtaco
03-03-2009, 02:37 PM
I forgot about the other one you picked up in INDY, that one was a little nicer wasn't it?

Bear
03-03-2009, 02:40 PM
A little, I still need to put it back together, and I have learned recently a little more about some of it's history.

Overall…it is going to need a lot of TLC.

HoosierTacoma08
03-03-2009, 06:25 PM
yeah, the top would go for sure its falling apart, and it wasn't designed for an fj, that was even easier to tell in person. I'm doing my research now into pricing and things cosmetically that would need replacing and adding the figures I can come up with just to give myself a SMALL idea what I would be getting into. If I did get it I would be paying cash, I already have one car payment, don't care to have another right now. :D I appreciate the advice fellas, and will keep you posted on what goes down.

Jared

HoosierTacoma08
03-03-2009, 06:27 PM

You and me both! :D

Bear
03-03-2009, 09:29 PM
yea, keep us in the loop. I'll try and answer anything you might have a question about, but like I said earlier, Phishtaco (Marty) has the most knowledge on the FJ's that I know of in the area.

I am sure he would be willing to help as well. (although I can't really answer for him...he is a pretty good guy)

phishtaco
03-04-2009, 07:24 AM
I'm usually pretty nice....but keep looking for a different FJ40. You should be able to find a decent one for under $5k with at least some type of lift, disc brakes and a decent running motor and some rust. There was actually a nice looking one for sale on IH8mud.com not to long ago with lots of extras. I'll try and hunt it down.

HoosierTacoma08
03-10-2009, 07:51 PM
Found another FJ today :D. I was driving on state RD 38 with a buddy and found this just east of Hagerstown.

http://i84.photobucket.com/albums/k39/CROC_01/0310091432a.jpg

I was all excited because it was a hard top, but when I pulled in I saw that it had some MAJOR rust issues :( and a bunch of parts laying in the back. Its a 60? something I believe, it had "Runs Good! $1850" written in the window. It was at a road side lot, couldn't raise anyone to get more info.

Another no go, but still good to see them around.

Jared

Bear
03-10-2009, 07:59 PM
Honestly, I dont see finding a good d.d FJ40 up in these parts, but then again I have been wrong before.

IF you are really wanting one, start looking further south outside the rust belt.