: Birfield

chilitoy
03-01-2009, 11:11 AM
Anyone try the Trail Gear "stronger than stock" birfields? My driver side birf has small chips where each ball contacts the race all the way around. Passenger side is good. I haven't tried the dealer yet, but TG has this replacement for $69 and claims it is stronger because it's made of 4340 chromo. Or does anyone know of another place? I can't really afford to go with Longs or Marlins right now(or ever). And even if the pass. side is good, is it bad to replace only one?

Opie011
03-01-2009, 11:36 AM
Its not bad to replace only one as long as they are both the same spline count. The dealer is gonna rip you off...Addicted Offroad has stronger than stock birfs too, I think:dunno:

RedRunnertc
03-01-2009, 12:09 PM
The Addicted ones are TrailGear.

So, here's the deal ... if you make the outer stronger, you are just FOR SURE gonna break the inner because the weak point is where it necks down from 30 spline to 27 to go into the outer.

Go with the full meal deal cromoly outers and inners in 27 spline and you get a 2 year warranty MAX. The 30 splines are like $100 more and upgrade you to a lifetime warranty.

All that said, the TG ones are very reasonably priced and if money is tight right now, I would say do that rather than not drive the truck ... but be saving up for the 30 spliners

Volcom
03-02-2009, 10:53 AM
Stock inners are surprising strong (even with the neck down). Before Longfield came out with their 30 spline kit, most guys ran stock inners and a modified outer. Longfield had a stock birfield that was ringed and cryo'd. That was the industry standard for a long time, ringed Longfield and stock inners. Quite a few guys had decent luck with that combo. I'd suggest running the $69 TG's and stock inners. Just watch the right foot :D

chilitoy
03-06-2009, 07:56 PM
Due to budget and time constraints, I went with the TG birfs. Upon further inspection, I had to end up replacing them both. Either way, they are in now, and sure were purty. I guess they are better than the ones I had.