: Bender part #2

Fuod
03-02-2009, 09:16 AM
Everytime I see this thread title I think of....

http://joe.itzoe.net/webimages/bender.jpg

:lmao:

Bear
03-02-2009, 09:18 AM
You guys watch too much Fox network!

speaking of Tv. my bulb on my LCD HD tv went out this weekend:mad:

the damn thing is $200 just for the bulb! that is ridiculous! I understand, but still don't like having to pay for that, less than three years after buying the damn tv set!

NwiTACO
03-03-2009, 07:59 AM
You guys watch too much Fox network!

speaking of Tv. my bulb on my LCD HD tv went out this weekend:mad:

the damn thing is $200 just for the bulb! that is ridiculous! I understand, but still don't like having to pay for that, less than three years after buying the damn tv set!

My montegomery wards 19" tv still works great after 15 years, until the digital switch coming up!

Back on topic though...

I am considering purchasing this bender:

http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/displayitem.taf?Itemnumber=32888

For what I intend to do, it will work. It is not by any means high tech, but will have no problem bending 1 1/2"-.120 wall tubing for some projects. What do you guys think? I was looking at them this weekend. I would also be willing to "loan" to respectable members of InTTORA as needed. :2cents:

Bear
03-03-2009, 09:40 AM
I have that same model, looking to sell it in fact.

Make me an offer! the head on the bottle jack is broken though so you have to balance the die on top of it, but it is not much of a problem. or you could replace the jack with one of their 12-20 ton jacks.

NwiTACO
03-03-2009, 09:51 AM
I have that same model, looking to sell it in fact.Make me an offer!

How did it work? Why do you no longer want it? I am looking only to make small projects, tube doors, tube fender protectors, etc, will I want something better than this?

Bear
03-03-2009, 10:04 AM
I think you will want something better, especially for tube doors.

You won't be able (well I shouldn't say won't, but it will be very difficult) to get close to the 180º bends for the doors.

The best bend I have ever made with the bender is my stinger bar and it was actually while I did a practice bend that I went back and cut up and had Jc weld back together.

You have to fill the tube you are bending with moist sand to keep from kinking the tubes and then you take the risk of convoluting the tube due to stress at the rollers.

and to try and bend D.O.M or even hRew is a major pain because the tubing is so much stronger than black iron pipe which the bender is actually designed to bend.

For plumbing applications it would work great, but for truck "accessories" that are going to be visible…I would wait.

(how is that for being a great sales man?…rather you be happy than disappointed)

For practically the price of the dies which are the most expensive part in tube benders, you can build your own. there are plans floating around the net which look pretty good.

Jc is even in the process of building his own from a set we found on line I think he has less than $350 in it currently (excluding the dies)

NwiTACO
03-03-2009, 10:14 AM
Thanks for the honesty! I really have some simple plans for my doors, which only involve a 90° bend maximum. Maybe I could come down one day and try it, or borrow/rent it?

Bear
03-03-2009, 10:34 AM
yea, you can borrow it anytime you want. I even have a 25 gallon drum of sand to use in bending.

I'll do what I can to help in fact, anytime you are ready let me know. Oh! and do you really think I have a need for a camburg GC with my solid axle? :lmao: but if I find something from them, I'll let you know.

(I should be free this weekend if I remember right if you are that motivated to bend)

Bear
03-03-2009, 10:37 AM
moving discussion over to this thread to unclutter Daredevils thread.

NwiTACO
I don't think I'll be ready by then, but soon...and thanks! Just priced out some steel-$65 bucks for 25ft of 1 1/2" dia.-.120 wall, not bad!

bstoocool
Find this and thought it was interesting.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GWT3N3m4bE4&feature=related

Here the post it came from.

http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=985480

Bear
03-03-2009, 10:47 AM
and they make it look so easy! lol.

I actually fill my tubing with moist sand, never tried the fill with water and then sand method, could be one of my problems.

Mark you up for some experimenting?

Bear
03-03-2009, 10:50 AM
the price you got on the steel is not bad at all.

Toyotan found a local supplier that carries all types of tubing. might check with him to see what kind of prices he got as I can't remember exactly but the vendor seemed pretty easy to work with as long as you didn't need the steel on saturdays. But then I think "Y" said that you could make an appointment to pick up your order from them on Saturdays they were not open.

bstoocool
03-03-2009, 11:02 AM
and they make it look so easy! lol.

I actually fill my tubing with moist sand, never tried the fill with water and then sand method, could be one of my problems.

Mark you up for some experimenting?

They mentioned modifying the die to fit the tube since it is technically a pipe bender. Have you tried that?

Bear
03-03-2009, 11:08 AM
no I haven't, I am not sure how they modified it.

I am now letting the cat out of the bag so to speak. Letting the entire board know one of my dark secrets…

my stinger bar on my front bumper, is still filled with sand! I actually left the sand in it and welded the bar to the bumper. Weight to strength ratio did not bother me so yea, I have sand in my bumper and it is staying there forever. It is packed so tightly as they referenced, the stinger bar is practically solid. and I have tested it by climbing/pushing my truck up a small ledge in the quarry so I know it will take A LOT to bend it.

but on the same note of the sand; I have actually bent my bender instead of the tubing because there was so much force put on the frame due to packing the sand and trying to make too extreme of a bend.

also as I made reference to earlier, the head of the hydro jack was broken off, because of similar situations. I did not notice the die was sitting crooked one time and began bending. in not time and without sand in the tubing, the force snapped off the jack head/cap. I was using regular black iron pipe when that happened.

bstoocool
03-03-2009, 11:40 AM
Yeah I was just curious how you would modify the dies. One of the guys in the thread I posted said he took a grinder to the die to match the OD of the tubing since the dies that come with that bender are for pipe and are measured to match the ID of pipe. I did not know there was a difference between tubing and pipe, but there is according to that thread.

Bear
03-03-2009, 11:45 AM
Oh yea! there is a very noticeable difference in size. I can't remember exactly what it is in terms of measurement. but pipe is smaller (obviously)

With that being said, I have actually had tubing get stuck in my dies before, had to pound the die off with a sledge hammer to free it and as you can imagine, that makes for an even "prettier" bend

another thing that they do not mention in the video and something I sometimes forget to do myself is spray the die with a lubricant before bending. What this does is allow the tube to slide over the die as it bends.

When you use this type of bender, the tubing/pipe will actually crawl along the die as it bends. If you don't lube it up, there is enough force on the material the metal will actually start to wrinkle up if there is too much friction. It is like running a car head on into a brick wall. It is not as bad as kinking but it still degrading the strength of the tubing at the bend.

NwiTACO
03-03-2009, 12:30 PM
Oh yea! there is a very noticeable difference in size. I can't remember exactly what it is in terms of measurement. but pipe is smaller (obviously)

Not really. In general, actual pipe OD is greater than the pipe size. ie. 2" pipe is 2 3/8" OD, 3" is 3 1/2" OD, etc. The stated tubing size is the actual OD of the tube. The "modifiactions" to the dies in the vid most likeley consist of "opening up" the die to the next size of tubing, for example the 1" pipe die would be made for a 1.315" OD, this would be opened up to 1.5" for 1 1/2" mechanical tubing.

Bear
03-03-2009, 12:47 PM
you're making my head hurt!

NwiTACO
03-03-2009, 12:51 PM
I may take you up on your offer regarding this weekend. Is saturday ok? I will try to get all my ducks in a row tonight, maybe even draw them up (the doors, not the ducks). :D

Bear
03-03-2009, 02:44 PM
I believe so. So far my wife has not sprung any surprises on me.

Dealership just called so depending on what they have to say I am either going to be free or under my truck but you are welcome to still come over…I am pretty good at multitasking. ;)

DN1911
03-03-2009, 05:38 PM
no offense but can we say REDNECK!

Bear
03-03-2009, 09:32 PM
Don't you mean hilly billy? :missingto

I haven't heard the term "redneck" since I left the lonestar state!:D

but sometimes you gotta do what you gotta do!