: trailer for bear?

phishtaco
03-04-2009, 03:56 PM
http://www.cincyoffroad.com/forum/showthread.php?t=3121

Bear
03-04-2009, 09:24 PM
Thanks Marty, not bad.

I have my eye on another trailer already, but this is a great second choice. I'll book mark this one,

phishtaco
03-05-2009, 08:39 AM
Make sure you get a two car so you can pull my FJ40 also ;)

Bear
03-05-2009, 09:44 AM
I really would love to be able to get a two car, but 1) I am not even sure where I am going to store one and 2) the fj project is not far enough along to even consider towing it yet. LOL

(besides if I make the kids drive it to and from the trails, they will learn to appreciate things more and make sure they drive accordingly on the trails. ;) This is the first time I have really considered having the luxury of not having to worry about driving to work the next day or getting home, so they are going to learn that same lesson. :D )

Bear
03-10-2009, 11:01 AM
Since Marty was kind enough to start the thread on this topic, I figured I would not waste anymore space by starting a second thread.

I am definitely getting a trailer, I am just hesitant to pull the trigger! (as I told Jc, I am not used to spending this kind of cash at one single moment in time)

I have found a couple of race trailers that have a novel appeal to me. But I am really thinking a gooseneck would be the easiest to pull. I have found a couple but all the decks on them are too narrow, so I would have to modify them or narrow the taco, which isn't going to happen

Jc also has a valid point of finding a new trailer at possibly the same price as a used one. I know that sounds improbable, but if I can ever get ahold of the company he suggested it might be workable.

So the question right now is do I really need a gooseneck or is that more of something "I want" more than need?

with a gooseneck there is also going to be the extra expense of buying the receiver hitch system and they are not cheap either. So basically it would be the cost of the trailer, the receiver hitch and regardless of what I purchase the fuel to go pick up the purchase.

Another factor I am trying to figure out is this: It is not like I am going to be pulling the trailer on a daily basis. It will make even trips to the badlands easier so basically the trailer will get used to transport to every run but is that still enough use to justify a gooseneck?

Just trying to make the best possible decision.

Bear
03-10-2009, 01:20 PM
The woman to the rescue! as I typically consult the Mrs. on most decisions but especially large purchases. she has talked me out of a gooseneck.

Not sure if it was entirely her doing, but the final decision has been made, no more gooseneck. It would have been nice, but justifying the cost for the limited use the trailer is going to see, does not make sense, especially with the extra cost of the receiver when I already have a hitch on the truck for a tag along.

brinner
03-10-2009, 01:46 PM
no need for a gooseneck....yeah they pull and turn great but you wont use it enough.

Bear
03-10-2009, 01:47 PM
basically that was my final reasoning. that and I am trying to come in really low now on price so I can take the balance of the budget and use it on something like a new camera or other garage tool!

Bear
03-11-2009, 12:23 PM
Well plans have changed again for about the millionth time!

last night while jotting around town doing errands typically left for the weekend before DLS time. I got a return call from a seller of a trailer I inquired about.

Long story short. the trailer is a 2008 model trailer gooseneck and can be had for less than I would be able to buy another used trailer of lesser quality.

So if everything pans out, I will be purchasing a gooseneck. With the savings I will be getting on this trailer, the cost of having to buy a receiver hitch won't be felt in the slightest!

I am just hoping it all turns out, and I am not just getting my hopes up for something too good to be true!

redbirdrunner
03-11-2009, 04:51 PM
Got my fingers crossed for you

Bear
03-11-2009, 05:28 PM
Thanks, just got off the phone with the seller...will be going to look at it tomorrow night

Bear
03-18-2009, 08:18 AM
no need for a gooseneck....yeah they pull and turn great but you wont use it enough. I could pull with a tag along, but if the price is right, why not get as much trailer as I can?

Got my fingers crossed for you

Thanks again, I went and looked and pulled the trigger. I am going to be picking this up Sunday.

http://i208.photobucket.com/albums/bb211/Bear4x4/7158985046335-2008-Open-Trailer-Dia.jpg

Immediate plans;

already installed gooseneck hitch.
need to extend sides as I really don't want tires hanging off edge
weld on hook on front of trailer so if needed, truck can be winched on.

future plans, build tackle cabinet behind tongue in order to store tools, straps and extra taco parts.

Possibly build platform on top of tongue for tent similar to a roof top tent system.