: Conversion: Welding required?

calebg8723
06-30-2005, 03:47 PM
I know 4wd conversions have been covered before, but I am curious, would most the parts just bolt on, or would some serious welding be required. Didn't see an answer to that in any post. I'm considering the change and I need to know if I need to track down a friend who is good with welding (i'm not).

jrizman
06-30-2005, 03:58 PM
well, u gotta crossmember? i remember putting a FRORF crossmember in there on a buddies, so yeah, welding is needed, but its not *too* much

but id say dont do it. i think youd be better off with a 4wd from the get go. i know a few who have done the conversion and were not really all that happy with it.

good luck

drabnor
06-30-2005, 04:03 PM
no, welding is not required for the standard 4wd conversion. now if you are sasing at the same time... then yes, you will have to weld

this shit should be in the newbie forum

calebg8723
06-30-2005, 08:14 PM
My bad, i meant to put it in the newbie forum. I'd move it if I knew how, but since I don't (or maybe I can't), A moderator is welcome to move it.

Mike
06-30-2005, 08:44 PM
I know 4wd conversions have been covered before, but I am curious, would most the parts just bolt on, or would some serious welding be required. Didn't see an answer to that in any post. I'm considering the change and I need to know if I need to track down a friend who is good with welding (i'm not).

I helped a buddy do one. I don't remember all the details, but I seem to recall that he had to swap the tranny, and we used an FROR transfer case crossmember. It's burly, and easy to install, but you will have to weld up a couple frame mounts.

There are probably lots of different options. If I were going to go from a prerunner to a 4wd, I would just trade the truck in.

Later,
....Mike

ATLRoach
06-30-2005, 10:19 PM
I can take care of your welding needs..Let me know if need my help.

chrisc
07-05-2005, 04:42 PM
I was not able to find a stock tranny mount so I had to modify one with some welding. All else is bolt on. 10K miles on it with no probs so far.

GOT COPE?
07-07-2005, 02:02 AM
:o :o :o :o :o :o