: Of all the things ......

poorboyota26
03-13-2009, 02:15 AM
I couldn't leave well enough alone. :mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad:
Cyl #4 Intake
http://i250.photobucket.com/albums/gg253/KnAph0t0s/4Runner%20project/IMG_2176.jpg

Cyl #3 Intake
http://i250.photobucket.com/albums/gg253/KnAph0t0s/4Runner%20project/IMG_2177.jpg

I was putting the Crawler cam back in for the Kokopelli Run/camping trip. I don't know what the hell happened but the valve wont pop back up.

Needless to say I'm not going to Moab this weekend. :mad::mad:

thefatkid
03-13-2009, 07:32 AM
Lightly tap the stem with a ball peen hammer and see if it pops back up. How long was the head on the vehicle?

poorboyota26
03-13-2009, 07:43 AM
Um a month I think. how long ago were you out here?

poorboyota26
03-13-2009, 07:49 AM
k so I tapped on it. it just went further into the motor without springing back. The spring is not broke either.

poorboyota26
03-13-2009, 07:59 AM
where can I get one of those scope things that you looked in the cylinders with? I pulled the plug and there is something in there.

mrdoug
03-13-2009, 08:54 AM
Dude... WTF?
1) if it aint broke, don't fix it
2) engine work a few days before a planned trip? what were you thinking?

Good luck man.

thefatkid
03-13-2009, 09:14 AM
A Scope like mine can be had at most tool stores. Expect to spend 4-5 bills though. How did somthing get in there? Is somthing stuck in the intake port?

poorboyota26
03-13-2009, 11:52 AM
I guess I was thinking that a cam swap was no big job. I was thinking it would take some time but no biggie. I haven't figured it out yet but I don't know if the valve was bent before I started or after I bolted the rocker assembly back on. I have feeling the latter. So that further depresses me.

Why would I swap out the cam? It wasn't running right still. I figured since there were bigger valves than stock that the stock cam wasn't going to cut it and that is why my mileage has sucked lately. So in order to make the trip more affordable and have a little extra power to go up the hill, I decided to put the original cam back in. Seemed logical to me. I should have known Newton would be there.

So after repainting, rewiring and fixing up the trailer (30hrs) and fixing all the little problems on the truck ie, burned out bulbs, sticky seat slide, paint the bumper etc. (another 10 hrs) all this week while going to school just in prep for a 4 day trip. I go and f it up.

Sure could use a zanex right now.

On a positive side Andrea is in Portland right now and so is ENGNBLDR. So I asked her to try and pick up a valve guide and valve to bring back with her on Monday.

poorboyota26
03-13-2009, 11:54 AM
A Scope like mine can be had at most tool stores. Expect to spend 4-5 bills though. How did somthing get in there? Is somthing stuck in the intake port?

I was wondering if one could rent them or something I just want to take a look to see what it might be in the hopes that it's something simple.

TowerRigger
03-13-2009, 12:16 PM
I'm going to pretend I didn't read this thread. It's just too depressing.

mrdoug
03-13-2009, 12:21 PM
Sorry man, didn't mean to kick you when you're down beating yourself up over it already.

fjcruzer
03-13-2009, 01:52 PM
I'm going to go self-induce projectile vomiting to make my self feel worse than you do...

:suicide:

That sooo sucks dude.

(It's okay Doug, you kick like an old man :rofl:)

poorboyota26
03-13-2009, 02:18 PM
It's ok guys I understand the ?'s Thanks for the support. I'm just going to pull the motor and let the truck sit on the street for the next week while I fix it. That way I don't take up all of my Mom's garage again and I can fix it properly without having to reach over the bumper and become even more frustrated with dropping wrenches and what not.

Ive been suffering from lack of sleep for the past 2 weeks getting ready for this stuff and Midterms to boot. I don't know what I was thinking.

anyone up for a beer?

Hey Doug, can you teach me how to write a batch file I just don't get it, and I have an assignment due the monday we get back from break (one week).

poorboyota26
03-13-2009, 02:20 PM
I'm going to pretend I didn't read this thread. It's just too depressing.

WHERE THE HELL ARE YOU??????????? what happened to stopping by Colorado? I was looking forward to Buffalo Wild Wings and Tea. I have started installing the York you gave me. Until this bull shit.

Lysmachia
03-13-2009, 03:25 PM
Dude Kevin did you not see the thread where "TOWER RIGGER WILL BE AT NATE'S... COME BY!" Um that was last Friday BTW

mrdoug
03-13-2009, 05:37 PM
Hey Doug, can you teach me how to write a batch file I just don't get it, and I have an assignment due the monday we get back from break (one week).

you bet.. give me a holler this weekend and we'll get together.

poorboyota26
03-13-2009, 10:49 PM
Called ENGNBLDR today and talked to Todd. I needed to call him to find out what size valve was in the head, what type of grind they did, and what brand guide they use.

After talking to him and telling him my story he has given me the valve and guide GRATIS!!!!!!!

He even dropped it off at my wifes hotel for me so that I could have it by Monday.

Just got to tear it all down and get it ready. As long as there is no other damage it should be ok.

Brian: I'm just going to have the local Machine shop do it for me. Shouldn't be too expensive and hopefully they can do it in a day.

poorboyota26
03-13-2009, 10:50 PM
Dude Kevin did you not see the thread where "TOWER RIGGER WILL BE AT NATE'S... COME BY!" Um that was last Friday BTW

No I didn't damn it guess once the motor is back together and I'm getting 24 miles a gallon (ha) I'll have to go on a road trip.

poorboyota26
03-14-2009, 05:40 PM
Pulled the head today and there is no other damage. So I will be stripping it tomorrow and then taking it to the machine shop on Monday.

thefatkid
03-14-2009, 11:36 PM
Wow, in the last month you've done more 22r work then I have in the last year. I bet you faster then i am now

poorboyota26
03-15-2009, 06:31 PM
Working on a quick release head removal system.:rofl:

This time I didn't remove the timing cover, or the ps bracket. I pulled the manifolds and the head.

bloodyscrow
03-16-2009, 02:14 AM
hey man you know if you need a second set of hands all you have to do is call me i'm litteraly like 5 minutes away.....and to add to that....i turn 21 in 7 days we can work on and get pissed ot your truck and then hit a bar for a little haha next monday though..... still too far away

poorboyota26
03-16-2009, 02:03 PM
IT might be a while till it's back together cause i spent a lot of money at the bar and on bullets so it might be 2 weeks before I can do anything to it. You are welcome to come by anytime this week just give a shout on the telly before.

poorboyota26
03-17-2009, 09:54 PM
Got a pic of the old and new.

I have a feeling that the old wasn't closing all the way there is carbon build up on the back side. Is that norm?

Pics
http://i250.photobucket.com/albums/gg253/KnAph0t0s/4Runner%20project/intakevalvebentcyl4.jpg
http://i250.photobucket.com/albums/gg253/KnAph0t0s/4Runner%20project/Intakevalvebentcyl43.jpg

That little piece on the right with the blue valve seal is the broken guide.

mrdoug
03-17-2009, 10:10 PM
I still maintain that the curve of the valve stem is directly proportionate to the torque curve of the motor. That's the way I remember it being taught to me and I'm stickin to it!

thefatkid
03-18-2009, 07:26 AM
hammer it straight and run it

poorboyota26
03-18-2009, 12:15 PM
ha ha you guys are too much. I have the parts and the head at the machine shop. should be done in a few hours.

OFRD_GRL
03-19-2009, 09:25 AM
hammer it straight and run it

Brian, please god tell me you're just kidding!

thefatkid
03-19-2009, 09:39 AM
No way, that is the way we roll here. As long as it is not bent 45* your ok :P

poorboyota26
03-19-2009, 01:19 PM
I hate Machine shops. "It should be done in a few hours" translates to "It should take 30 minutes to do but I can't get to it until Friday.....or so"

They know you are at their mercy. I know that the head is NOT warped and that all of the other valves are straight and that the guide needs to be replaced. Still they try to tell me that it should to be resurfaced and that they have to check all of the other valves. Adding the cost of a resurface and head tear down and assembly.

I checked them, they open they close no problem and seat as expected. I only F'd up the ONE intake valve. I checked the warp factor.....NADA damn flaw in it (Cept some razor scratches from scrapping copper off).

I told the guy "I have barely enough money to get the work done that I need, I checked it over and every thing is within specs. Just do the guide, seal and install the valve while you are at it". "Ok, we should have it done in a few hours".

gerrrrrrrrrr!!!!!!! If they f up my $600 head I'm going postal I'm tired of this shit as it is.

end rant.:soapbox:

mrdoug
03-19-2009, 01:57 PM
Damn, and I was hoping to read "got it all put back together and it runs great"... good luck man. hang in there.

OFRD_GRL
03-19-2009, 03:52 PM
No way, that is the way we roll here. As long as it is not bent 45* your ok :P
Oh Brian... :shame::shame::shame::doh::scared::wife::wife::wif e::jack::slap:

LOL

I hate Machine shops. "It should be done in a few hours" translates to "It should take 30 minutes to do but I can't get to it until Friday.....or so"

They know you are at their mercy. I know that the head is NOT warped and that all of the other valves are straight and that the guide needs to be replaced. Still they try to tell me that it should to be resurfaced and that they have to check all of the other valves. Adding the cost of a resurface and head tear down and assembly.

I checked them, they open they close no problem and seat as expected. I only F'd up the ONE intake valve. I checked the warp factor.....NADA damn flaw in it (Cept some razor scratches from scrapping copper off).

I told the guy "I have barely enough money to get the work done that I need, I checked it over and every thing is within specs. Just do the guide, seal and install the valve while you are at it". "Ok, we should have it done in a few hours".

gerrrrrrrrrr!!!!!!! If they f up my $600 head I'm going postal I'm tired of this shit as it is.

end rant.:soapbox:

WOW.. sorry bud... good luck gettin it done.

poorboyota26
03-19-2009, 08:06 PM
I don't really hate them. ha ha I just guess that I don't get why in most of the machine shops I've been to half of the machines they use to grind valves, bore blocks, shave heads, etc. aren't even running. I know that you have to have the business for them to be operating and that it's important to keep all of one engine in generally the same stage of completion, but damn. I understand the importance of taking your time and doing it right but don't waist time.

There were 3 guys in that shop and 5 engine blocks sitting around waiting for a clean or a hone. One of them was helping customers one was spraying engine degreaser on a freshly delivered block and the other guy was looking at a magazine. It wasn't lunch time and there was a crank (not being ground but set up to be) right in front of him.

Generally I am one lazy MOFO but when it comes to working on something I like. Hurry up.

Sorry I don't have anything else to do right now I just want my head back. lol