: Trial Tires

Squirrel Pwr
07-02-2005, 10:54 AM
Currently have 33x10.5 BFG AT and drive the truck about 50 miles a day. I am considering buying a second set of rims and tires for trail use only. I like the TSLs and the Txrus 33x12.5. I live in the Southeast so I wheel at Tellico, Uwharrie, and some other local places. Do bias ply tires have more flex in the side walls in comparison to radial. Already had 33x12.5 GY MTR and they donít clean well in the mud. 12.5 MTRs killed my gas mileage thatís why I went with the 10.5 BFGs. I am use to a more aggressive tire on the trail.

Whatís the best? I am open to any suggestions

Already have 15x 8 black steelies

pportera
07-02-2005, 01:29 PM
Why got to trxus if your just going to swap tires before play time?? The trxus are radial, so they are not 100% off road like a bias ply. Go with a bogger or tsl or claw or any other bias ply tire. I mean if your going to have your bfg's for street and another set for stricly off road, go all out.

Bias tires are stiffer then a radial, but flex very well when aired down. Are alot tougher too.

TacoCrazy
07-02-2005, 03:02 PM
Personal recommendation for you is a Gateway Buckshot..Size "P"..Nearly everyone here on Flat Top mtn, just north of Chattanooga, runs them..Bias ply, very agressive and tough as nails...Won't last on the road, but I've seen 6yr old sets, that don't see the pavement, look like new..I can get you a number for a local distributor if you'd like.

JDUBTacoMUD
07-02-2005, 05:05 PM
Id have to agree with portera if ya got the BFs for the road go all out on your trail tires.I run 32"BF AT and 33"BOggers for the trails. A Tsl woudl be the way to go along with the a directional...all depends on your terrain and what you want to spend....Swampers do wonders on the trail and gives the truck a mean look....good luck

99TanTaco
07-02-2005, 10:17 PM
I would go with the Radial TSl in the 33x10.5 or 32x10.5 (Super Swampers run big), if you've only got 3" of lift you'll probably rub with 33x12.5.

Bryanccfshr
07-02-2005, 10:36 PM
Why not Run the LTB or a nice TSL ? Your on the east coast/south.. get aggressive bias tires and be done with it. I would say the Claws but the bias versions are mucho $$$. Unless you are doing deep mud or sand don't go wider than what you have. Fatter tires can sometimes mean less traction on slimy trails. Let your experience and what others in your area with experience be your guide and not what looks good or what a bunch of people from thousands of miles away decide for you. Tires are a local phenomena.

Squirrel Pwr
07-05-2005, 02:34 PM
Thanks for the Input. I think that TSLs are in my future, but the size I thought was set, but now as one of you points out a 33" TSL is in real life larger than 33" BFGs (33.7 Inches). Maybe it's stupid but I don't want to go to a smaller tire size no matter how tall or wide it really is. EGO! Any body running Hoe's at 3" fit 33" TSL's? :confused:

Squirrel Pwr
07-06-2005, 03:46 PM
Anybody? I am planning on cutting :saw: up the truck eventually anyway so I think I will go with the 33x12.5 TSLs. Will be ordering them Monday unless anyone has this set up and it just can not work. Who needs fender flares anyway! Fluff!!

Flip Side>>

Squirrel Pwr
09-22-2005, 05:13 PM
I know this is an old post, but I have now been on three trips to Telico with the 34x10.5 LTBs, and I don't believe I could have picked a better tire. The performance is simply awesome. I thought the 33x12.5 MTRs I use to have did well but these new tires are traction hogs. By the way, I now believe that in most circumstances narrower is better, especially for a fairly light truck. I would have never been able to run 33x12.5 TSLs with out rubbing and the LTBs do not rub at all. :kewl:

TacoCrazy
09-23-2005, 05:58 AM
I know this is an old post, but I have now been on three trips to Telico with the 34x10.5 LTBs, and I don't believe I could have picked a better tire. The performance is simply awesome. I thought the 33x12.5 MTRs I use to have did well but these new tires are traction hogs. By the way, I now believe that in most circumstances narrower is better, especially for a fairly light truck. I would have never been able to run 33x12.5 TSLs with out rubbing and the LTBs do not rub at all. :kewl:
Got an pics of the 34's on the truck?? You didn't drive it there with them on right?? Later..

Squirrel Pwr
09-26-2005, 10:21 AM
http://www.tacomaterritory.com/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=1834&stc=1 No, I have 33x10.5 BFG ATs that get me there and around town. I use my high lift and power tank to switch at the trail. It is kind of a pain in the ass, but not as bad as riding 7 hrs. on Swampers. This is the only Pic I have, sorry I don't take many pics.