: How do I know? :newbie:

Maddog096
12-20-2004, 03:30 PM
How do I know if my truck has the TRD package on it or not? Is there a something I can look for that will tell me if it is or not? I have a feeling that it does not have it. I think that the decals were but on there by the previous owner.

-Matt

RENEGADE76254
12-20-2004, 03:36 PM
my advice is get ur vin code and call up ur local dealer and ask for parts, tell the man u bought this truck used and has trd decals but u do not know if it actually does. he will prolly type in ur vin code and tell u in just a few mins. the yota ppl are usually very helpfull about that kinda stuff.
RENEGADE76254

Maddog096
12-20-2004, 03:40 PM
Thanks

-Matt

elgecko
12-20-2004, 04:02 PM
How do I know if my truck has the TRD package on it or not? Is there a something I can look for that will tell me if it is or not? I have a feeling that it does not have it. I think that the decals were but on there by the previous owner.

-Matt

If you have a button to the left of your steering wheel that reads something like "RR DIFF LOCK", then you've got the TRD package.

tbplus10
12-20-2004, 04:03 PM
The TRD package on a 4X4 consist's of the following items:
1) Electronic locker, with corresponding axle and gears, switch located to the left of the steering wheel.
2) Progressive rate coils up front.
3) TRD stickers.
4) Bilstein shocks.

TRD package on a PreRunner has the following:
1) Electronic rear locker.
2) Progressive rate coils up front.
3) TRD stickers.
4) Bilstein shocks.

To confuse things more some PreRunners came without the E-locker, and some PreRunners and 4X4's had different brands of shocks.

The only true way to verify your truck is a TRD model is by the vin with the dealer, but if you have the locker it's a good chance the truck is a TRD. The E-locker was an option for 4X4's but was'nt added without the TRD package very often due to stand alone option cost.
Most TRD trucks on this board probably only have the E-locker and the stickers left from the package.
The TRD trucks are not "a superior truck" compared to the standard Tacoma, their advantage is the E-locker.

Tim

Maddog096
12-20-2004, 04:29 PM
Thats why I was asking I do not have locker switch, which I thought came with the TRD package. So Tomorrow I will give my dealership a call. Thanks for the help.

-Matt

KRYPTO(dale)
12-20-2004, 08:41 PM
always trust the salesman-not.

RENEGADE76254
12-21-2004, 05:22 AM
always trust the salesman-not

thats why i suggested contacting parts department, if u got a yota already they wont try to sell u a new one, just rip u off on parts for ur current one....
RENEGADE76254

ShowStop
12-21-2004, 01:09 PM
If you have a button to the left of your steering wheel that reads something like "RR DIFF LOCK", then you've got the TRD package.
No....the electric locker can be ordered separately from the TRD package. Just like you can buy TRD stickers from the dealer, slap them on the bed and call it a TRD model.

The ONLY way to know if it came with the TRD package is to call Toyota with the VIN.

mudferret
12-21-2004, 01:14 PM

-Matt
Like others have said, call Toyota, 1.800.GO.TOYOTA, for you guys in the states. Supply your VIN and they can tell you anything you want to know about your truck; gear ratios, the colour of your seats, time and date of manufacture, that time you pretended your friend was a wheel barrow in grade 3 (it's all on your permanent record), etc...

elgecko
12-21-2004, 05:51 PM
No....the electric locker can be ordered separately from the TRD package. Just like you can buy TRD stickers from the dealer, slap them on the bed and call it a TRD model.

The ONLY way to know if it came with the TRD package is to call Toyota with the VIN.

True...rare, but true. Either way, the locker is the only part of the package that really counts...and maybe the 5 hp stickers :)

STOMPER
12-27-2004, 04:52 PM
Thats why I was asking I do not have locker switch, which I thought came with the TRD package. So Tomorrow I will give my dealership a call. Thanks for the help.

-Matt

If you dont have the locker there's not much need to worry about it too much. because 95% of us change the springs shocks and other stuff out for better stuff anyway.

BTW where ya at in ATL? Have you joined our chapter yet?

Maddog096
12-27-2004, 05:33 PM
If you dont have the locker there's not much need to worry about it too much. because 95% of us change the springs shocks and other stuff out for better stuff anyway.

BTW where ya at in ATL? Have you joined our chapter yet?

Yes I have. I live in Roswell.

What part of town are you at?

Tufemup
12-28-2004, 07:51 AM
Same thing happened to me. Bought an '01 used in March '02. Had the TRD stickers but no locker or Bilstein shocks. Wish I had the locker but shocks have been replaced anyway when I lifted the truck.

ATLRoach
12-28-2004, 08:23 AM

Where are you in Roswell? I live off Sandy Plains and 92. Also since no one else has said it, if you have an E-locker the drain plug is on the left hand side of the diff housing.

Maddog096
12-30-2004, 11:19 PM
Where are you in Roswell? I live off Sandy Plains and 92. Also since no one else has said it, if you have an E-locker the drain plug is on the left hand side of the diff housing.

I live off of Houze Road which is about two minute from the intersection of Sandy Plains and 92. Thats awsome that you live there. I've had to have seen you atleast a couple of times. We have to meet up sometime?

Rosemore1
12-31-2004, 01:45 AM
My neighbor bought a 94 4runner with a V6 Logo on it, and it was a 4 cyl. We were talking one day and he said that it was really sluggish for a V6. So we popped the hood and BAM! only 4 cyl's. He tried to fight the dealer about it, but he is still driving it today, so i don't know what happened.

Harley

Maddog096
12-31-2004, 02:29 PM
My neighbor bought a 94 4runner with a V6 Logo on it, and it was a 4 cyl. We were talking one day and he said that it was really sluggish for a V6. So we popped the hood and BAM! only 4 cyl's. He tried to fight the dealer about it, but he is still driving it today, so i don't know what happened.

Harley

Now thats got to suck. But why didn't check under the hood before he bought it?

STOMPER
12-31-2004, 04:35 PM

Between Hiram and Douglasville.

Rosemore1
12-31-2004, 09:27 PM
Now thats got to suck. But why didn't check under the hood before he bought it?
Don't know! I think it was the first vehicle that he bought alone!

kafene
01-02-2005, 11:50 AM

Harley

That SUUCKS!!! :eek:

kafene.

MililaniTaco
01-04-2005, 05:04 PM
:p Don't know! I think it was the first vehicle that he bought alone!

Damn I have a friend that went in alone and came out paying way too much for a Hyundai Accent :eek:

G