: Solid Axle Toyota?

gtrotter
03-24-2009, 06:27 PM
Anyone local to me know much about the 85 and older factory solid axle trucks? I've been looking around and found a few candidates and would like to know what to look for as typical weakpoints on these trucks. Heck, if you wanted to, you could ride along.

Two of them are 84's, and one is an 85. The cheapest is a extended cab 84 with no bed at 600. Most expensive is an 85 reg cab with aftermarket front bumper for 1950. Good deals?

redbirdrunner
03-24-2009, 06:48 PM
Main thing to look for is frame rot in front of rear leaf spring shackles to back of front spring shackles. Take a hammer and peck along frame inside and out, if you hear a change in tone or hammer goes through then you probably dont want to deal with it. I actually had a guy fill the holes with bondo and try to sell it as having a good frame till I busted him out with the hammer trick. 600 bucks is cheap provided the frame is good.No bed just means Brinner can have a tech session on building a tube bed.:D

95toyotan
03-24-2009, 06:55 PM
Sounds like they could be some good deals. Take a screwdriver with you and poke the frame. Jab it good and hard, all over inside and out front to back, you can't hurt it unless it's rusted badly. So don't be afraid to get dirty and get under it or it could cost ya!

Pretty much anything else that's wrong you can always fix.my:2cents:

95toyotan
03-24-2009, 06:56 PM
Yeah what he ^^^said.:D

Driver12518
03-24-2009, 07:05 PM
When are you going to look at them? I may be around Evansville this weekend. Do any of them come with spares? My 4Runner wasnt exactly the best price, but the amount of spares the guy threw in was insane. I could almost build another one. The frame rust is probably the best general inspection you could do. Don't know if you over heard us at Red Bird, but the area of the frame right below the gap of the bed and cab gets some interesting forces goin through it for 20+ years. Check there for holes/cracks.

gtrotter
03-24-2009, 07:17 PM
Depends when the guy's get back to me...one is up in terre haute, another is in paoli...the last one and most expensive is a longer drive away. I think the one in terre haute comes with spare mirrors and fenders, not sure bout the 600 dollar one in paoli.

twentyfootdaredevil
03-24-2009, 08:04 PM
I am pretty close to you and i can help you out with the trucks.

Josh 812-483-6965

gtrotter
03-24-2009, 08:12 PM
I am pretty close to you and i can help you out with the trucks.

Josh 812-483-6965

were you the one asking me about my buddies 83 or 84 toy at interlake a few weeks ago? If so, they scrapped it about 5 months ago

Grant
03-24-2009, 08:37 PM
85 was the first year for fuel injection and would be a option that I would pay extra for unless planning on going with propane.

Ifs trucks are worth looking at to for these reasons.

You will need ifs steering box to put a hi-steer kit on a solid axle.
Rear is 3" wider.
Solid toyota front axles can be found for $250.
Ifs trucks are easier to find and have fuel injection.

I would look for a 22re with 5speed ifs or solid.

I paid $1400 for my 4runner stock with 200,000 miles on it because it was a 85 last year for solid front and first year for fuel injection.

Bear
03-24-2009, 08:41 PM
JOSH!!!!!!!

good to see you are still around, I guess it is about that time isn't it? :D

Don't be such a stranger around these parts! but I understand life gets in the way at times so I guess we will take what we can get of you!

Other than what everyone said above. The frame rust is the most important and common problem with the pick up trucks.

I don't know how you feel about electrical gremlins but I hate them so normally if I find an older vehicle I don't plan to completely redo. I steer away from anything with supsect wiring or glaring issues.

Also on the solid axles, the weak link is the birfields, so look at that area really well as well.

gtrotter
03-24-2009, 08:52 PM
Other than ease of starting under normal conditions, what are the benefits of fuel injection? I've heard that carb'd trucks may have problems when climbing hills? and I seriously hate electrical gremlins. Kinda makes me want to go all mechanical so I don't have to screw with anything electrical.
I have found a 93 reg cab 4 cylinder( still 22re I take it) and 5 speed/4wd for 1500, just super high miles.

All the the solid axle one's I am looking at have the 22, with the 85 obviously having the 22re

Bear
03-24-2009, 09:10 PM
yes, carbed motors don't like climbing. But let me add; think about this situation (not as common in flat indiana but still a concern) you are following in a group of trucks, something happens up front and you are stuck on an incline greater than 25%. you get in the truck and the truck won't start. Carbed motor.

Then think bout this...you are climbing a "water fall" (basically a cliff ledge with rocks) In your attempt to climb, you stall due to the truck being a standard transmission. This time you are at near verticle. Do you really think that carbed motor will be getting sufficient supply of fuel?

One final example, you are traveling along a hill where your passenger side is down hill, again greater than 25 % grade again. having power is helping stay on the off camber but your truck starts sputtering because it is starting to starve for fuel. It dies, where do you think your truck is going to start sliding to? It ain't uphill that is for sure!

But the upside to a carbed motor is it is easier to convert to propane. (and you never have to worry about issues with a TRD supercharger ;) )

Oh, and I also think you get better throttle response from fuel injection, but that is strickly a personal opinion.

gtrotter
03-24-2009, 09:17 PM
That's what I figured, they would have trouble getting fuel. Hmm I might go take a look at that 85 then. They want 1950 for it at a dealership a good deal away from, but it might be worth it. Has an aftermarket bumper and about 130k on the clock.

Bear
03-24-2009, 09:27 PM
true 130K? or has the odometer rolled by a couple of times?

If it is at a dealership, you might be able to really negotiate the price down. I never consider a dealership price as being firm. Make sure and go in armed with Kelly blue book, NADA and (oh what is the other one) Edmond's! I think at least one of them have prices for older vehicles, I just can't remember which one.

and make sure to really scrutinize the truck at the dealership. be willing to walk away or at least act like you are willing to.

Also don't let the salesman know you are driving in just to see the truck. Tell them you were "just driving by" I have learned that is an Internet trick, you inquire about a truck the internet manager looks to see how far you drove in just to look at the vehicle. (I had a friend back home that was an internet sale manager for a few dealerships)

Dustin might have some other dealership plows to watch for as well. He can also probably tell you some other things to watch out for when shopping for the older toys.

If you like one of the other carbed trucks as much or more than the 85, don't be afraid of them. with the 22 r motors, it is not extremely difficult to convert them over to the 22 ri's.

gtrotter
03-24-2009, 09:32 PM
Looking at the few photos of it, it looks like it could be a true 130k truck, but you never know for sure. It is really far away- pretty much solid day's drive to the dealership so I don't know it if is worth it.

EDIT: If anyone has a carfax record checker thingie, here is the vin to run:

JT4RN60R9F5080145

Grant
03-24-2009, 09:41 PM
Here's one for $3700 http://nashville.craigslist.org/cto/1084127300.html

Looks ready but $$$$$$$

gtrotter
03-24-2009, 09:51 PM
Here's one for $3700 http://nashville.craigslist.org/cto/1084127300.html

Looks ready but $$$$$$$

yeah, I found that one, but it is out of my price range.Currently, 2k is pretty much my price limit, with the cheaper the better. Right now, I am looking for a solid running truck( or 4runner) with working 4wd and a good frame. I don't mind doing some work to it, but nothing major right now because I just can't afford anything super expensive. Basically, as soon as I get a truck, it will be wheeled immediately. Mods can come later on when I get brought back to work.

twentyfootdaredevil
03-25-2009, 04:39 PM
Bear I pipe up every once in awhile!!!

Grant if you want to swing by Chandler sometime I can give you all the info on these trucks you will need.

Greg had a good suggestion about going for the 89-93 mini trucks. With these years you get a better frame, better rust prevention and better drivetrain.

You really want to stay away from the 6 cly if you can. There are people that will disagree with this statement but it is easier on the pocketbook and fab skills to build a 22RE mated to a W56 tranny and the 4cly xcase is easier to double than the cly chain drive.

I could talk for hours about the differences in years and the pros and cons so it would be better to stop by before you drive across country!!!

uglyoffroad
03-26-2009, 12:40 AM
Is this going to be a trail only truck? If so you may want to consider buying one of the cheaper 22r trucks and using the money that you saved to convert it to propane. I have had 2 85 injected yotas, 2 carbed yotas, and now a yota on propane. I can honestly say that on a trail truck I personally like the propane the best. It is so simple and so little can go wrong. Fixing a injection problem on the trail can be a real pain if it can even be done. I loved my 22re's but I was always worried that something would go wrong with the injection system while wheelin and I would not be able to figure it out. It cost me about $500 to switch to propane and I would be more than willing to help you find the parts that you need or give you a parts list if you decided to go this route. Just something to consider. If this is going to be driven on the street much I would not go propane though.

Bear
03-26-2009, 07:34 AM
What about going with a dual fuel vehicle? I believe "Got Propane" has a kit that enables you to run propane through a carbed gas motor. I was actually thinking about doing something similar with my FJ for the kid, but wasn't 100% certain I read right.

Propane for the trail and gas for the street. Run out of either and you can still get home. LOL

gtrotter
03-26-2009, 02:33 PM
This will primarily be a trail only truck, basically something ugly that I can beat on and not worry about too much. Propane would be interesting- how fast do you go through propan though?

Grant
03-26-2009, 02:33 PM
There is a black 89 4runner sitting in front of Glisson's pull-a-part on Saint Joe Ave. If you are looking for something cheap. It might need some work but you could call and ask about it.
Body is dented and rusty but frame and floor look real good.

gtrotter
03-26-2009, 02:42 PM
Thanks for the heads up, gonna go and take a look at it.

NwiTACO
03-26-2009, 02:45 PM
There aint shit for old yotas up here...grrr...

Grant
03-26-2009, 02:45 PM
Also know where there is a built samuri for $2000 ready to wheel if you like bright orange, and it is streetable.

NwiTACO
03-26-2009, 02:48 PM
Also know where there is a built samuri for $2000 ready to wheel if you like bright orange, and it is streetable.

Sounds like brinners style! :rofl: bright orange!

Bear
03-26-2009, 02:53 PM
I always thought a sami would be fun to kick around on the trails, especially if it had a toy axle under the front.

Talk about "zero" wheel base though

Bear
03-26-2009, 02:55 PM
This will primarily be a trail only truck, basically something ugly that I can beat on and not worry about too much. Propane would be interesting- how fast do you go through propan though?

I have never actually known anyone personally that has ran it on their vehicle, but I know for a fact that a warehouse fork lift will run damn near forever on it.

I once had a ware house job where I drove the fork lift and after working there two years, I can remember only having to have it filled once, and it was driven non stop!

95toyotan
03-26-2009, 05:24 PM
I once had a ware house job where I drove the fork lift and after working there two years, I can remember only having to have it filled once, and it was driven non stop!

So you're one of those guys that never change the tank:rolleyes:

We have a propane forklift and we change the tank every week or every other week.

But they do make some big tanks also.

uglyoffroad
03-26-2009, 09:04 PM

I get a day and a half of trail riding out of one 33# forklift tank. (that is the smaller sized forklift tank) I haven't done any tuneing on my setup yet though. All i did was put it on adjust the idle and go. I know of some that are getting 2 1/2 to 3 days of wheelin out of the same size tank with a little tuneing. I will get to it one day. I like the idea of the dual fuel setup to if you are going to drive the truck to the trail. If trail only though I dont think it is worth the trouble and the extra room that a gas tank and propane tanks are going to take up.

Bear
03-26-2009, 09:46 PM
So you're one of those guys that never change the tank:rolleyes:

We have a propane forklift and we change the tank every week or every other week.

But they do make some big tanks also.
Hell that was twenty years ago, the propane tank was up under the seat somewhere! I don't think I ever saw it in fact for all know it was the size of those you see out on the farm somewhere (your farms here in Indiana use those big "fat boy" atomic bomb type propane tanks. Dont they?)

gtrotter
03-26-2009, 11:22 PM
Went and looked at the 89, guy told me that they were going to "process" it in the morning. The only guy who could actually sell it to me, also happens to be out of town until Monday. So, I am going to call the owner, Duke, in the morning and see what he can do for me.

95toyotan
03-30-2009, 05:38 PM
Anyone local to me know much about the 85 and older factory solid axle trucks? I've been looking around and found a few candidates and would like to know what to look for as typical weakpoints on these trucks. Heck, if you wanted to, you could ride along.

Two of them are 84's, and one is an 85. The cheapest is a extended cab 84 with no bed at 600. Most expensive is an 85 reg cab with aftermarket front bumper for 1950. Good deals?

Hey where are these at? I'm tryin to talk a buddy into one, carburated is fine for him.

gtrotter
03-30-2009, 10:11 PM
One of the 84's is in Terre Haute, one I think is up in decatur( the 1984 for 600) and the 85(nicest of the bunch) is somewhere up in Michigan. Let me look around for the links.

gtrotter
03-30-2009, 10:21 PM
Found another one as well, kinda high asking price though-
http://terrahaute.craigslist.org/cto/1097881770.html
The Terre Haut one-
http://terrahaute.craigslist.org/cto/1074750324.html

I couldn't find the other links, maybe in the morning.

Bear
03-31-2009, 08:24 AM
the second one is a truck right?:confused:

:D

I just can not get used to the amount of rust up here!

I say between the two if you are torn decide how much your labor is worth to you. The first one seems to be drivable now, the second is going to need some work before it see's any trails.

The second one kinda reminds me of the toyota truck I once saw at the badlands. As it limped back to the parking lot with ratchet straps holding the frame together.

gtrotter
03-31-2009, 08:34 AM
Yeah, if you look hard you MAY find a truck up here without a rusted frame. Good luck though. As far as beds go, I have only seen a handful of the old toys that haven't rusted up. You guys do know the story on why all those old toyota beds rusted up so readily, right? Anyways,I do know that I am just going to wait until I get brought back to work to pick something up because I need to keep my options open just in case.

Oh, and here is a rust free 87, frame doesn't have a spot o rust lol.

http://i232.photobucket.com/albums/ee178/gjtrotter/100_0154.jpg

NwiTACO
03-31-2009, 08:44 AM
Yep, the beds were made in the US. BTW in cse you are concerned with the beds, readers rigs has a blue '83 toyota with a '91 bed on it, and it looks factory. Even the body lines match perfectly. Might be something to look into if you don't want to go the whole, "flat bed" route. :2cents:

Bear
03-31-2009, 09:50 AM
you do realize that 87 you are showing there without rust is a 5 lug mini don't you?

those don't count in my book! hard to take on the trail in factory dress. :D

:xofftopic Oh Grant NWi just informed me of the plans on Thursday, let me know if you need directions or addresses!

gtrotter
03-31-2009, 10:11 AM
Yeah I know it is a 5 lug-gramps bought it new in 86, been towing with it ever since. It's got 177k on it and the original clutch. It would have the original wheels, but when we went to get new tires for it, the shop bent 3 of the wheels.

As far as the address, just PM me your addy. I'll most likely stop by there and pick them up.

NwiTACO
03-31-2009, 10:13 AM
I hope they paid for the new wheels :eek:

Bear
03-31-2009, 10:25 AM
X2
Yeah I know it is a 5 lug-gramps bought it new in 86, been towing with it ever since. It's got 177k on it and the original clutch. It would have the original wheels, but when we went to get new tires for it, the shop bent 3 of the wheels.

As far as the address, just PM me your addy. I'll most likely stop by there and pick them up.

didn't realize it was your grandfathers! he definitely knows how to take care of vehicles! I was no bad mouthing it by any means. I thought it was something you found in your search.

sending pm

gtrotter
03-31-2009, 10:36 AM

yeah they paid for the wheels you see on it.

My gramps passed on and left it to my dad. It is literally the most basic toyota you could buy at the time. No passenger mirror, radio, AC or anything of the sort. When he bought it, the dealer had put on some undercoating that he refused to pay for, but now it seems it was worth it lol. In fact, all but two of the bulbs on the truck are original. The only thing that has ever been replaced was a fender when he got hit two weeks after getting the truck, and it has had a few mufflers.

By chance, is it just me or there not many 4 speed toy's out there? Mostly I see 5 speed ones.

Full_Tilt_Fud
04-01-2009, 10:02 PM
4 speeds were not real common.......mainly found in the early 79-83 trucks........they were also week and prone to problems.........not thaat the first 5-speeds were any better really:rolleyes:

when looking for one don't worry about whether the frame has rust worry about the type of rust.

my 85 looked really bad do to surface rust but was rock solid.

gtrotter
04-01-2009, 10:33 PM
I was just asking cuz my dad's 87 has the 4 speed with the 22r. Last year for the 22r(carb'd) I think. Always thought it was kinda unusual.

Full_Tilt_Fud
04-01-2009, 10:42 PM
yep.........some of them got the 4speed even in the later years.......I think it was the base low dollar option.

gtrotter
04-01-2009, 10:46 PM
Yep, our 87 had absolutely no options from the factory.